Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mask safety

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 9:23 pm
We've had numerous discussions on imamother regarding mask wearing. People vehemently argue for/against the necessity of wearing masks and the safety. By and large, I very strongly feel it helps avoid the spread but only if everyone wears it, especially when they are symptomatic. Many people disagree.

I just want to mention one point I haven't seen mentioned yet for people who claim it's not safe and causes breathing issues. Millions of women in Muslim countries wear burkas and face coverings in extreme heat conditions on a daily basis and are perfectly safe. Just saying....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 9:32 pm
And tons of nurses and drs wear N95 masks for hours straight and they are totally fine.
The argument against masks saying they are unhealthy is just wrong. Its just totally insensitive to not wear a mask where it is required and it is puttung peoples lives at risks. As torah jews we are supposed to be sensitive and make sure we are responsible and do our utmost to help prevent spreading the virus

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 10:54 pm
In the heat of the summer, I was stuck at a traffic light right next to a bus stop. A Muslim woman got off with a preschool aged child. She was wearing full covering of her head and "tznius" clothing and a mask. The she proceeded to put the child on her back and wrap her up in a shawl like a backpack to keep the child there while she walked home. I watched her in awe because I certainly wouldn't have been able to do that with my kid. She inspired me to be better with mask wearing outside because if she could manage under all those layers (have you ever worn a child - they're like squirmy hot water bottles!), then certainly I could too.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We've had numerous discussions on imamother regarding mask wearing. People vehemently argue for/against the necessity of wearing masks and the safety. By and large, I very strongly feel it helps avoid the spread but only if everyone wears it, especially when they are symptomatic. Many people disagree.

I just want to mention one point I haven't seen mentioned yet for people who claim it's not safe and causes breathing issues. Millions of women in Muslim countries wear burkas and face coverings in extreme heat conditions on a daily basis and are perfectly safe. Just saying....

Symptomatic people should not be out. Unless seeking medical care. Wearing a mask does not make it okay for sick people to go to offices, shuls, stores, etc. I think that is much more important than healthy people wearing masks.

There is no question that there are people who manage long hours in masks and coverings of different varieties, but PLEASE don't make blanket statements. Just because many, maybe even most, can do it, doesn't mean it's doable for everyone. It IS in fact medically dangerous for some people.

And the way I see many people using their masks, they are #1 not helping much, if at all, and #2 very possibly spreading germs to the wearer.

Things are not so black and white. More arguments and debates over this is not necessary. Having compassion and understanding that everyone is doing the best they can to cope with life in the Corona era is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics