Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Girls elementary school info!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:02 am
My oldest daughter is going into primary next year, so I need to find a school for her.

I am not from lakewood and don't know many people here and am just so concerned, I don’t know anything about any schools.

Does anyone know altogether when applications are?

Also, can anyone give info about Nachlas, Chein, Meoros, bnos yaakov?

Or I would be interested in hearing other suggestions.

I am a pretty Middle of the road type by grad (I think lol).

Thank you !

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My oldest daughter is going into primary next year, so I need to find a school for her.

I am not from lakewood and don't know many people here and am just so concerned, I don’t know anything about any schools.

Does anyone know altogether when applications are?

Also, can anyone give info about Nachlas, Chein, Meoros, bnos yaakov?

Or I would be interested in hearing other suggestions.

I am a pretty Middle of the road type by grad (I think lol).

Thank you !

What kind of community do you live in? Does your husband wear colored shirts?

Bnos Yaakov is the most intense school here academically as well as the frummest from all the options you mentioned. Meoros you need start calling pull already now, nachlas probably as well. I know in previous years chein only agrees to send out an application once they check you out.

It's a tough process much hatzlacha!

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:37 am
Applications usually done right after Sukkos.

Anecdotally, Chein has some classes of 30+ girls because they let in their Brooklyn transfers from a sister school so may be the hardest...
Nachlas I would say is harder to get into than Meoros, and has higher demand in general (has grown a lot faster ), but they’re hashlafically very similar and many people apply to both but easier to get into Meoros.
Nachlas is known to be out of towny, down to earth type, not fancy or shticky.

I don’t think for Primary it’s about calling in pull. It’s about enough spots for the girls. So apply to multiple schools where you feel you fit in and for primary it’ll probably work out. I would be proactive but not overly worried . There’s also Neemas Bais Yaakov which is newer but supposed to be very good, may have an easier time there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:39 am
Thanks for the info!
If this helps, I live in Jackson, DH only white shirts and identifies as Yeshivish but we do however let the kids watch Barney or daniel tiger, and am assuming that a school that would not be okay with that isn't the right fit either .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Anecdotally, Chein has some classes of 30+ girls because they let in their Brooklyn transfers from a sister school so may be the hardest...
Nachlas I would say is harder to get into than Meoros, and has higher demand in general (has grown a lot faster ), but they’re hashlafically very similar and many people apply to both but easier to get into Meoros.

I don’t think for Primary it’s about calling in pull. It’s about enough spots for the girls. So apply to multiple schools where you feel you fit in and for primary it’ll probably work out. I would be proactive but not overly worried . There’s also Neemas Bais Yaakov which is newer but supposed to be very good, may have an easier time there.

Thanks for your help!
How many places should I be applying to?
I haven’t heard of neemas bais yaakov , do you know what the crowd is there?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Last year the opposite was true. Meoros filled up before succos and nachlas opened a third class and was accepting throughout the year.

Depends on number of slots each school has on a given year. Nachlas currently has more room than Meoros and actually waits until after succos to promise slots.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your help!
How many places should I be applying to?
I haven’t heard of neemas bais yaakov , do you know what the crowd is there?

Newer school (in it's second year now) but a lot of nice normal families that just simply didn't have pull or want to play the game with the more established schools. It will be just as hard to get into down the line in a few years, that's how it goes here in Lakewood.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the info!
If this helps, I live in Jackson, DH only white shirts and identifies as Yeshivish but we do however let the kids watch Barney or daniel tiger, and am assuming that a school that would not be okay with that isn't the right fit either .

Nachlas might be a good fit. They are known to make an issue about the shirt thing but you're safe on that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:57 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Last year the opposite was true. Meoros filled up before succos and nachlas opened a third class and was accepting throughout the year.

Depends on number of slots each school has on a given year. Nachlas currently has more room than Meoros and actually waits until after succos to promise slots.

How do nachlas and meoros compare as far as student/parent body type?

I’m getting the picture that bnos yaakov is different crowd than the rest st of the schools mentioned and probably too yeshivish for me .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Newer school (in it's second year now) but a lot of nice normal families that just simply didn't have pull or want to play the game with the more established schools. It will be just as hard to get into down the line in a few years, that's how it goes here in Lakewood.

Sounds like something I’d be interested In looking into! Wish there was a way to get more info.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Officially there is no school here besides BYOC and maybe tcs that allow nonjewish movies or shows. That doesn’t mean that everyone follows the rules, but they don’t allow. Of the schools you listed you won’t find a single principal or administrator that will tell you nonjewish tv shows are fine. If that bothers you, which I get, you’re looking at byoc or tcs.

My daughter is in one of the schools above and we do not watch any nonjewish shows or movies but many of her classmates do . I am not sure if they lie in the interview or what.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do nachlas and meoros compare as far as student/parent body type?

I’m getting the picture that bnos yaakov is different crowd than the rest st of the schools mentioned and probably too yeshivish for me .

There's is definitely overlap with some of the parent body that maybe ended up in one vs. the other just because they had more pull, but in general nachlas is a little more yeshivish, a little more of an out of town vibe and meoros has more "with it" crowd. Again there are individuals in meoros who would be poster parents for nachlas and vice versa but in general this is true and every year nachlas tries to accept more yeshivish as opposed to less.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Officially there is no school here besides BYOC and maybe tcs that allow nonjewish movies or shows. That doesn’t mean that everyone follows the rules, but they don’t allow. Of the schools you listed you won’t find a single principal or administrator that will tell you nonjewish tv shows are fine. If that bothers you, which I get, you’re looking at byoc or tcs.

My daughter is in one of the schools above and we do not watch any nonjewish shows or movies but many of her classmates do . I am not sure if they lie in the interview or what.

So the video thing is black and white across the board? Because I specifically said those two shows, Like I wouldn't even turn on most Disney channel shows, Other than mickey mouse clubhouse. But something like daniel tiger or barney to me is not so secular?

I’m confused 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So the video thing is black and white across the board? Because I specifically said those two shows, Like I wouldn't even turn on most Disney channel shows, Other than mickey mouse clubhouse. But something like daniel tiger or barney to me is not so secular?

I’m confused 🤷🏻‍♀️

You just should absolutely not volunteer any of that information.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:10 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
You just should absolutely not volunteer any of that information.

Got it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
There's is definitely overlap with some of the parent body that maybe ended up in one vs. the other just because they had more pull, but in general nachlas is a little more yeshivish, a little more of an out of town vibe and meoros has more "with it" crowd. Again there are individuals in meoros who would be poster parents for nachlas and vice versa but in general this is true and every year nachlas tries to accept more yeshivish as opposed to less.

Thank you SO much for all the information. But lol so letsay I am not actually out of towny, would that be a problem at Nachlas?

Like if I have a designer handbag Would that be considered wrong?

Honestly this type thing is not for me, I grew up going to big schools with mixed frum crowd and always had friends of all types. I wish I didn’t have to choose a box to hop into. However it seems that If I don’t nt choose a type I by default will end up in a crowd that is not my type.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you SO much for all the information. But lol so letsay I am not actually out of towny, would that be a problem at Nachlas?

Honestly this type thing is not for me, I grew up going to big schools with mixed frum crowd and always had friends of all types. I wish I didn’t have to choose a box to hop into.

Definitely not an issue to wear designer and other nachlas mother's do it's just that in general the crowd skews simpler. Everything you'll hear on this thread will be a lot of generalizations because obviously on the individual level people are just that, individuals.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Yes I guess it depends on the year. I know two people who called Nachlas and were told not accepting applications and their girls got into Meoros (one got in at the interview ).

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’m confused 🤷🏻‍♀️

Secular means “separate from religion” . So Disney is inherently secular , but not inherently trief. I agree it’s not so terrible. I wouldn’t volunteer the information as others said, but they might ask so just be prepared.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Honestly this type thing is not for me, I grew up going to big schools with mixed frum crowd and always had friends of all types. I wish I didn’t have to choose a box to hop into. However it seems that If I don’t nt choose a type I by default will end up in a crowd that is not my type.

There are absolutely with it Brooklyn type families in Nachlas. But there are also girls wearing crocs or target sneakers to school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries