Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Leaving NYC/Brooklyn
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:26 pm
I’m the OP from the other thread.
I’m really sorry for bringing in politics.

If you moved from NYC or Brooklyn, can you please share where you moved? Is it safer?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:29 pm
Where do you live in Brooklyn - that you feel unsafe? In my Brooklyn neighborhood, there is no increased violence, and it is not emptier. The only people I know who are/have moved is to Lakewood (either because they can’t afford a house here or because all their kids live there). Curious where you are and why you feel unsafe.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Where do you live in Brooklyn - that you feel unsafe? In my Brooklyn neighborhood, there is no increased violence, and it is not emptier. The only people I know who are/have moved is to Lakewood (either because they can’t afford a house here or because all their kids live there). Curious where you are and why you feel unsafe.

I’m by Canarsie and we hear shootings often
My DH works in the city, but I worry so much when he travels there bc of all the criminals that are roaming free with no bail

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:40 pm
Brooklyn tends to be very neighborhood specific, and the frum areas (e.g. BP, Kensington, Midwood, etc.) do not feel unsafe (don’t know much about Canarsie). Unfortunately, housing in those areas tends to be pretty expensive. I’ve been to Manhattan several times over the past month-or-so and have not felt unsafe there, either? Is your DH feeling unsafe there, or is it just what you hear from the media that is making you uneasy?

(ETA: Hearing shootings would make me uneasy, also. . .)

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:44 pm
Brooklyn tends to be very neighborhood specific, and the frum areas (e.g. BP, Kensington, Midwood, etc.) do not feel unsafe (don’t know much about Canarsie). Unfortunately, housing in those areas tends to be pretty expensive. I’ve been to Manhattan several times over the past month-or-so and have not felt unsafe there, either? Is your DH feeling unsafe there, or is it just what you hear from the media that is making you uneasy?

I am in a shomrim/shmira whatsap group. The crime rate in the Jewish neighborhoods of Brooklyn is high and they dont even cover everything. Scary times we are living in but unfortunately I am stuck here for multiple reasons. May Hashem watch over us and send Moshiach now.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:44 pm
NYC resident from the other thread. Hopefully making aliyah if DH will be able to continue working remotely from Israel. We are in discussions with his boss. It's a little complicated but his boss is open to the idea. It's crazy because I was always anti aliyah before corona, but the world and political landscape has changed so quickly.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:46 pm

It’s me feeling unsafe bc of the media saying many people moved out of the city. And many criminals got out of jail

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:47 pm

There have been a number of shootings around the periphery of BP. People who pay attention are getting nervous.

I live in Marine Park. There was an armed robbery this past week. I can't remember the last time that happened. Crime is seeping into the safe areas.

We would like to move. But it takes time. Most people can't just pick up and move. A well planned move takes about a year.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:52 pm
I moved out of NY 5 years ago because we couldn’t afford the housing, not because we felt unsafe.

We lived in CH which was always unsafe and crime ridden. I don’t think it’s worse or better now than before.

People are leaving Manhattan because it doesn’t make sense to pay $5000 for a studio when nothing that makes city life worth living is open anyway. It doesn’t really apply to the Frum community.

icebreaker

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:52 pm
We’re in Connecticut. Used to live on Roosevelt Island, which we loved and missed. We are looking to move back to the city though. CT is great suburban family life but awfully boring if you want more city life.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:13 pm
Thanks for the responses.
Is anyone planning on moving? Where?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:28 pm
Not sure why people are denying that brooklyn crime rates are extremely high now. I moved to NJ this summer. There are hundreds of nyers that moved here recently.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:57 pm
Thank you

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:09 pm
Yes I've been feeling unsafe here as well. There has been a steady uptick in crime since before lockdown. Yes, in midwood , in boro park, etc in the "safe neighborhoods." I want to get out too. But not to nj. If I'm going anywhere I will make Aliyah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Yes I've been feeling unsafe here as well. There has been a steady uptick in crime since before lockdown. Yes, in midwood , in boro park, etc in the "safe neighborhoods." I want to get out too. But not to nj. If I'm going anywhere I will make Aliyah.

Thank you for the honest response
Hashem should help you on your derech

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I moved out of NY 5 years ago because we couldn’t afford the housing, not because we felt unsafe.

We lived in CH which was always unsafe and crime ridden. I don’t think it’s worse or better now than before.

People are leaving Manhattan because it doesn’t make sense to pay $5000 for a studio when nothing that makes city life worth living is open anyway. It doesn’t really apply to the Frum community.

While Crown Heights has always been unsafe, it's been even worse lately. There definitely have been more shootings in the area the past few months.

unexpected

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:06 pm
My friend packed up her family and moved out to the Poconos- just 2 hours away from the city. Her husband is working remotely/commuting and she is homeschooling the kids. They bring a minyan out every Shabbos and she has a beautiful separate guest apartment that she rents out for weekends

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:09 pm
unexpected wrote:
My friend packed up her family and moved out to the Poconos- just 2 hours away from the city. Her husband is working remotely/commuting and she is homeschooling the kids. They bring a minyan out every Shabbos and she has a beautiful separate guest apartment that she rents out for weekends

Sounds nice.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:11 pm
I understand Dallas, Houston, St Louis, Columbus and Memphis seem to be popular places to relocate.

Israel would be the best place to consider IF you have a stable job before you move.

Good Luck!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:34 pm
Thank you
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating