Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Will the lockdown happen in Israel for the Chagim?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:18 am
banana123 wrote:
They're in school a few days here, a few days there. It's not really quality learning time.

RH is shabbat and Sunday. There would be a full week between RH and YK.
My kids schools are in a red zone so they have been home for a week already even though we live in a green zone. This is just getting worse....

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:20 am
I think the whole lockdown is unneeded and a political or power move. There was no research into how this virus moves and how that relates to the israeli demographics and society. The politicians have followed the media instead of the scientists and doctors that are not being given airtime.
I will take my family to any protests that are protesting the lockdown. It doesn’t actually help enough. It hurts the children the most. It hurts those whose finances depend on 4minim sales and small business owners. The elderly are dying from loneliness and depression.
They have not updated the classification of cause of death.
If anyone in a hospital tests positive for corona, theyare sent to the corona ward regardless of what service they need. (ABX drip, childbirth, broken bone, ...) So the numbers of ill are inflated as well.
The numbers of deaths and seriously ill have not dramatically increased, though they have risen. It’s still within what the hospitals can handle. The death rate and hospital occupancy is actually lower than the average year. The infection rate has risen dramatically due to the massive amount of tests being performed. But the percentage of positive tests is lower, nearly identical to that of the flu.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Why not? I'm assuming there will be zoom on any day there would be regular classes. At least for kids in grades 5 and up, who can sit and do zoom.

The teachers will insist on doing zoom so that nobody suggests docking their pay.
Nope, it said schools will be closed during the lock down and I think that means zoom as well.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Nope, it said schools will be closed during the lock down and I think that means zoom as well.

I'm a high school teacher. We are doing zoom as are all other schools I know of.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I'm a high school teacher. We are doing zoom as are all other schools I know of.
Oh, ok, I was told differently. Glad to hear this.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 11:46 am
Iymnok wrote:
I think the whole lockdown is unneeded and a political or power move. There was no research into how this virus moves and how that relates to the israeli demographics and society. The politicians have followed the media instead of the scientists and doctors that are not being given airtime.
I will take my family to any protests that are protesting the lockdown. It doesn’t actually help enough. It hurts the children the most. It hurts those whose finances depend on 4minim sales and small business owners. The elderly are dying from loneliness and depression.
They have not updated the classification of cause of death.
If anyone in a hospital tests positive for corona, theyare sent to the corona ward regardless of what service they need. (ABX drip, childbirth, broken bone, ...) So the numbers of ill are inflated as well.
The numbers of deaths and seriously ill have not dramatically increased, though they have risen. It’s still within what the hospitals can handle. The death rate and hospital occupancy is actually lower than the average year. The infection rate has risen dramatically due to the massive amount of tests being performed. But the percentage of positive tests is lower, nearly identical to that of the flu.

That is 100% wrong.
Sorry.

I don't know what the percentage of positive flu tests is (is there such a thing?) but the rise in positive tests is not correlated with the number of overall tests, and really, more tests should mean a lower percentage, if we don't have that many infections. The fact that more tests does not mean a lower percentage of positive tests means we have a problem.

And, the percentage of positive tests went from 6% a few weeks ago, to 7%, to 8%, and is now holding steady at around 8-9%, with a few exceptions (such as the 11%), irrespective of the weekend dip in tests.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:04 pm
So there will be a lockdown from erev rosh hashana until simchat torah, perhaps longer if needed?

Is that what was decided tonight?

banana123

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:06 pm
Yes

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:07 pm
That was what was decided. It doesn't mean that that is what will happen.

Just what the starting point for the next arguement will be.

banana123

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:09 pm
Elfrida wrote:
That was what was decided. It doesn't mean that that is what will happen.

Just what the starting point for the next arguement will be.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:45 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
RH is shabbat and Sunday. There would be a full week between RH and YK.
My kids schools are in a red zone so they have been home for a week already even though we live in a green zone. This is just getting worse....

Oh me too! I thought we were the only ones.

My kids schools are shut or on zoom, even though we live in a green zone...

It’s especially hard because it’s new schools for them, on top of it being only their second year in Israel... and they were so excited to make friends and settle in. They had a couple of very fragmented days and that’s it.

blessedflower

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 12:48 pm
I'm just angry about this whole thing. If a lockdown is necessary, why now?! Why couldn't they do it two months ago when it was obviously going in the wrong direction. Oh because they wanted to prevent it! Well they did ZERO to prevent it. They also didn't do much research in this time to be better prepared.
Why are protests of thousands of people allowed and j''t, school and businesses have to get all screwed up again?!
This time I'm actually really angry and upset about it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:10 pm
blessedflower wrote:
I'm just angry about this whole thing. If a lockdown is necessary, why now?! Why couldn't they do it two months ago when it was obviously going in the wrong direction. Oh because they wanted to prevent it! Well they did ZERO to prevent it. They also didn't do much research in this time to be better prepared.
Why are protests of thousands of people allowed and j''t, school and businesses have to get all screwed up again?!

Maybe because the same people who are screaming about the lockdown this time also screamed about the possibility of lockdown 2 months ago?

And now they have no choice but to accept a lockdown (and the govt finally was forced to impose one) because the numbers are totally out of control.

If the govt stood up to these factions earlier, we wouldn't be in this 3-week (or more) pickle now.

I wonder if we'll learn our lesson. Probably not.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:19 pm
blessedflower wrote:

why now?
    Because now it comes with less economic cost.
    Because it is mostly during school vacation anyway.
    Because if you did not lock down during chagim infection rates would explode (see Purim), so it's a good idea anyway to tell people to stay home and not to mix during chagim.
    Because for the past two months, infection rates did not go down, despite warnings and measures taken

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:25 pm
I'm confused. People arent gonna be able to go to shul on RH or YK?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:13 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

It’s within 500m. Even if it’s a little further, people will still go. You just can’t leave the neighborhood.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:14 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
For outdoor minyanim there can be 50 people and indoor minyanim depend on the size of the sanctuary. And people have to sign up to go.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:28 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
For outdoor minyanim there can be 50 people and indoor minyanim depend on the size of the sanctuary. And people have to sign up to go.

Did they decide this yet?

I thought it was 10 indoors, 20 outdoors.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:28 pm
Just want to send out some hugs to my Israeli sisters.
Hang in there, wish we were there.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:43 pm
I'm worried. I don't want to see police vs civilian clashes on the yomim noraim. People are gonna wanna go daven in their usual shuls. I don't see this ending well at all.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics