Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does your husband know how to sing?
1  2  3  Next

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:06 pm
Mine doesn’t.
He chants the entire zemiros with no melody. I hate that I was born musically inclined
*scream*

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:20 pm
Mine doesn't really. I don't know where he learned the tune he uses for Eishes Chayil but it doesn't make any sense. lol

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:23 pm
He's not completely off tune, but he's not great.

I always hoped to have my husband sing along with me.

I'll take him as he is. Smile

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:25 pm
My husband likes chazzanus and sings very loudly in an operatic style.

He thinks he sounds great but he’s actually socially oblivious to who would want to hear zmiros or davening from the amud that way. He can carry a tune (his sense of rhythm can be wonky), but he’s not talented enough to pull that style off and I find it kinda embarrassing. 🙈🙉🙊

I don’t say anything, let him be happy. Let someone else be the bad guy and crush his dreams.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:30 pm
We have the reverse problem. He’s very musical I am not. Our kids are half and half. It is very frustrating for him, but I’m good enough that if other people are leading I can sing nicely along.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:35 pm
Yes. Our whole family loves to sing. Shabbos at our house can be very harmonic, when everyone is in the mood.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:38 pm
Dh has a good voice. He also can get overly chazzanish, and not realize when it isn't appropriate or isn'tbeing appreciated. Also, he sings what he feels, changing tempo according to how he feels the song. So it is close to impossible to sing along with him, but then he gets annoyed that people aren't singing along. He leins and davens for the amud nicely, though.

MiriFr

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:50 pm
Hahahaha nooooooo!
But he’s great at other things!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:52 pm
No. He sings so off that I cringe.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:52 pm
He doesn't want to sing.

rising hero

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:56 pm
Yes bh my husband does.
Op you still have hope maybe your sons will be able to sing when they get older!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:56 pm
no. yet he loves zmiros at the tish.
and im quite musical myself.
it bothered me in the beginning.
but I just love him so much, no matter how offtune he will sing it will only make me love him more Wink no pavarotti can compete with the emotion my dh puts in his shabbos zmiros !
and kudos to him, that he never feels embarassed (despite the fact that he knows too well his voice is bad) , he will sing infront and with our guests and will enjoy every second of his enhanced shabbes Smile

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:01 pm
He can learn to sing, but first he has to learn to listen, and especiallly to listen to himself, to hear himself.

So before he will be able to sing out loud, for you, he should practice (perhaps with a teacher), to check what he is doing, and to hear whether this sounds like what he wants...

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:07 pm
Yes and he knows a lot of zmirot and different melodies for them. His voice isn't great, bit scratchy, but at least he sings everything straight and spot on.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:17 pm
No. I do the singing lol:).
Also, he lost his father at 13 and had to say kaddish for an entire year, before his vocal cords were developed so I think that contributed as well. I love everything else about him, so this doesn't bother me like I thought it would.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:18 pm
Aw. Yeah my husband told me some people are born to sing haha

Ah well

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:21 pm
My husband can sometimes catch the tune but he most of the time of tune. My FIL is the worst plus he thinks he can actually sing and does kiddush, hamotzi singing and it hurts my ears. I’m musical but also not a good singer however if it’s of beat and of tune I’ll notice

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:23 pm
My husband sings and is musical and so are my boys, but nobody sings at the Shabbos table. My DH whispers zemiros to himself and it always drove me crazy because my father and brothers all sing in loud booming voices and to me that’s what made the Shabbos table so special. When we were in quarantine in March/April time all of a sudden my DH and boys sang at the table and it was absolutely beautiful. But they already stopped.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:36 pm
EN OH!!!!! He starts on the J train tracks and can abruptly switch over to the M and then the Z train tracks.. Lolol
He knows that and still sings. I don't interrupt but often sing along. I somewhat know how to and hub loves when I do.

Most of my brothers can.. Loved listening to them and their harmonizing.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:56 pm
Yes his singing is amazing he can sound like Ed Sheeran when he wants. His brother also sings, but he went to voice lessons which my DH didn’t. My FIL also has a beautiful voice. Very gentle and soothing
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics