Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Bracha on Hibiscus flower.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 2:29 am
Sounds crazy but I have no idea how they grow. Are they aytz or adamah?
Can I use them as a new fruit for RH?
Thanks

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:42 am
If you're not sure there is a view that you can say adamah on the basis that trees also grow out of the ground. Obviously, the solution is to ask your Rav.

I've never heard of hibiscus flowers being served to eat, though I've often used them to make tea. How exactly do you serve them? I'm not sure they would qualify as a new fruit for שהחיינו.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:53 am
They grow as a sort of bush. I would think Ha'adama, but I'm not a rav.
They're gorgeous, aren't they?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:56 am
To my knowledge, only the fruit of a fruit tree is Ha'Eitz. So we say Ha'Eitz on a date from the date palm tree, but hearts of palm are Ha'Adamah. I have not asked specifically about flowers.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:58 am
Feel like an idiot asking a "proper shailah". I do, but typically for Nidda/kitchen mishaps/other actually important things.
In the past I had them in the shuk, with the dried fruit.
While the cheap fruit store has them dries -hard and without a haskacha, I have never had them in the US. I was in HomeGoods and they had with an OU - $3.99 a bag! (And they are soft and sugared like all good dried fruit 😉)
I have some picky eaters here who will never try a lychee nut, cactus fruit, or Cherimoya again, and I thought this might be a hit.

iyar

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:17 am
Don’t feel like an idiot! Your Rav would never admit it I’m sure, but he must be so bored already of all your (and your friends’) nidda/ kitchen mishap questions. And what makes you think Hilchos Brachos is any less important?
I never ate a hibiscus flower. They look too pretty to eat. Let us know what the Bracha is!

solo

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:00 am
https://dinonline.org/2018/04/.....wers/
For flowers that are commonly eaten (zucchini flowers) Bracha is hoadama. If it’s something unusual or not commonly eaten one would make a shehakol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions