Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What is Your Shul Doing?
Previous  1  2

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:13 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I agree that in many places, it's having enough people who are able to be chazzan for Rosh Hashanah that is an issue.

Shuls by me are putting up large tents in parking lots and having a choice between indoor and outdoor minyan, with sign up. They are having extra shofar blowings for women and children as usual, but requiring sign up for those as well. Nobody can come to shul just for shofar.
That is very much an issue in my community too, especially for the minyanim taking place outside, where the baaley tefila will have to project their voice.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
When shuls in NY were closed, DH minyan didn't have a sefer torah in all those months. It's a big sheila to use a sefer torah outdoors and to remove a sefer torah from it's permanent place.

Our neighborhood outdoor minyan also did not have a Sefer Torah, they read the Haftara instead. But other minyanim loaned Sefarim from the shul. There are certain conditions for transporting and storing a Sefer Torah when needed.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Shuls in my neighborhood are all proceeding as normal. No outside minyanim, no extra minyanim, no sd or masks required. Sad We do not have antibodies, and I am very nervous . . . Surprised

Don't go, and tell your shul board why.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:52 pm
[quote="amother [ Linen ]] It's a big sheila to use a sefer torah outdoors and to remove a sefer torah from it's permanent place.[/quote]
Do you never have outdoor hakafot on Simchat Torah? That is very common around here.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:03 pm
DrMom wrote:
Do you never have outdoor hakafot on Simchat Torah? That is very common around here.

No, I've never heard of outdoor hakafos. Maybe it's done in Israel? It's ok to use a torah outside within the shul's property/courtyard. The issue is removing it from the shul. As a poster above mentioned, there are conditions regarding this to make it ok to remove a sefer torah from it's permanent place, but it's not a given that a sefer torah may be brought to a minyan.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:09 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
No, I've never heard of outdoor hakafos. Maybe it's done in Israel? It's ok to use a torah outside within the shul's property/courtyard. The issue is removing it from the shul. As a poster above mentioned, there are conditions regarding this to make it ok to remove a sefer torah from it's permanent place, but it's not a given that a sefer torah may be brought to a minyan.

I know shuls in NY in which sfrei Torah are danced up and down the block on Simchat Torah.

And we lend our shul's sfrei Torah (we have a few) to minyanim in shiva homes all the time.

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:22 pm
Another vote for small minyans, relatively short davening, outdoors.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
Don't go, and tell your shul board why.

Different worlds. No shul board, and no one would care if we don’t go. We’d just be looked at as crazy Sad

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:35 pm
Three smaller-than-normal minyanim in shul at different times and five tents, one of which is in my yard. I live close to shul, but I'm looking forward to stepping out the back door and into minyan. And if my mask starts to feel too stifling, I plan to daven on the back porch, where I should still be able to hear and participate.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:36 pm
Here things are back to normal so it’s regular shul now.
Covid is going around again but everyone’s been getting it very mild or no symptoms at all so the community decided to continue on.
In a way I miss the lockdown days we had here months ago. Much less pressure but I was too sick then to appreciate that aspect when I was just fighting for my life.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:39 pm
I heard about the Sefer Torah thing.. not moving it outdoors..
When we had outdoor minyanim the Torah was only allowed because it was a personal Torah kept in someone’s home on the block. I remember hearing the men discuss that.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I heard about the Sefer Torah thing.. not moving it outdoors..
When we had outdoor minyanim the Torah was only allowed because it was a personal Torah kept in someone’s home on the block. I remember hearing the men discuss that.

Have them come to the Kotel. Plenty of sfrei Torah used outdoors there. Smile

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:26 pm
Our shul is moving to a very large location to enable a full minyan with masks and social distancing. We have a smaller second minyan in an outdoor location, also with masks and social distancing.

Our Rav just had a one hour phone call with the kehilla - explaining the approach, giving chizzuk, and talking out the details. It was amazing.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:22 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Our shul is moving to a very large location to enable a full minyan with masks and social distancing. We have a smaller second minyan in an outdoor location, also with masks and social distancing.

Our Rav just had a one hour phone call with the kehilla - explaining the approach, giving chizzuk, and talking out the details. It was amazing.

I think we go to the same Shul Smile
Location in a construction site?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:56 pm
Options in Lakewood: http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com.....l?m=1
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur