Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Substitute for cream cheese

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:08 am
Hello.
I want to make tiramisu.
Does anyone have any ideas how to substitute cream cheese? I only have a fleishig oven.
Parev cream cheese is not an option being that im not in a country with a large kosher veriaty...

lylac

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:51 am
Maybe whip?

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:52 am
Cashews can be made into a cheesecake
It might work for this
Google raw cashew cream cheese recipe

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:57 am
Tiramisu is not baked so you don't need an oven. It is assembled like trifle. Therefore the type of oven you use would not matter.

Tiramisu is not made with cream cheese - it is made with marscapone cheese. Traditionally very dense Italian ladyfingers are used which are soaked with espresso - not the soft type of sponge ladyfingers.

Just my personal opinion but the delicious nature of tiramisu is based mostly on the wonderful ingredients used to assemble it. Substituting poorer quality fake ingredients is going to produce a Frankenstein type of dish that bears no relation to what it is supposed to taste like that.

There are many delicious desserts that don't depend so heavily on high quality dairy products. Why not make one of those instead?

Again - this is just my personal opinion as authentic tiramisu is delicious but there are also very delicious non-dairy desserts that are preferable to fake tiramisu.

ETA - Now if you want to make a vegan dessert using cashew cream, layered with sponge cake and flavorings that is a different thing altogether but it's not tiramisu - it's just vegan trifle. Smile

Catcher

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:01 am
You can try use a silken tofu with a fair amount of sugar. Try googling vegan tiramisu

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:52 pm
You don't need to bake tirmasu... just the bicuits, but not the creamy part...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:56 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
You don't need to bake tirmasu... just the bicuits, but not the creamy part...

You can buy pre-baked lady fingers, so you don't even have to cook them in your fleishig oven.

Now, if you want to serve this at the end of a fleishig meal, I can't help you. I'm with Amarante on this one. "Fake" anything is never as good as the real thing. There are lots of yummy parve dessert options out there. Fresh fruit and sorbet are lovely after a heavy meat meal.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:00 pm
Catcher wrote:
You can try use a silken tofu with a fair amount of sugar. Try googling vegan tiramisu

This is exactly what I was going to suggest!

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
You can buy pre-baked lady fingers, so you don't even have to cook them in your fleishig oven.

Now, if you want to serve this at the end of a fleishig meal, I can't help you. I'm with Amarante on this one. "Fake" anything is never as good as the real thing. There are lots of yummy parve dessert options out there. Fresh fruit and sorbet are lovely after a heavy meat meal.

Me too, and I'm with you on the fruit salad or sorbet... or fruit pies... or Apfelstrudel!!! Why not Apfelstrudel?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics