Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Safe space for Israeli imamothers (or anyone in lockdown)
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:57 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I think it's a shame though that those out of Israel don't get a glimpse into what's going on here.

Yes, we're heading into lockdown, but remember that hardly anyone here caught it in March. So it's taken us half a year to reach the same place where other countries were at a couple of weeks. And the reason is because of the strict quarantine measures. (And if everyone would be strict on wearing masks etc. then we likely wouldn't even have gotten to this point either.)

It would be good for them to see the threads titled 'Help, my 5 yr old has to go into bidud, what do we do' etc. to realize that this isn't a joke. To realize that here in Israel, entire families are quarantining for 2 weeks because a kid in one of their children's classes tested positive. I literally can't believe that schools in NY are hiding it from parents when students test positive. And even more amazed that the authorities aren't on top of it. Positive results should mean automatic quarantine for that class. No questions asked.

While I agree with just about everything you wrote, I'm curious about the bolded. How do you figure that "hardly anyone caught it"? I remember the news, and seeing one levaya after another. It was non stop! I was as sick as a dog, and so were many of my friends.

I'm not thrilled to go back to lockdown, and I probably have antibodies (maybe?), but I don't mind in the grand scheme of things, if it means that the country will be better off in the long run.

I think the rush to reopen schools was a complete disaster, and that's why we are in the position we are right now.

I also blame the selfish idiots who are holding "super spreader" events. I'm not going to point fingers or name names, but you know who you are. Mad

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
While I agree with just about everything you wrote, I'm curious about the bolded. How do you figure that "hardly anyone caught it"? I remember the news, and seeing one levaya after another. It was non stop! I was as sick as a dog, and so were many of my friends.

I'm not thrilled to go back to lockdown, and I probably have antibodies (maybe?), but I don't mind in the grand scheme of things, if it means that the country will be better off in the long run.

I think the rush to reopen schools was a complete disaster, and that's why we are in the position we are right now.

I also blame the selfish idiots who are holding "super spreader" events. I'm not going to point fingers or name names, but you know who you are. Mad

I guess I don't mean hardly anyone as just one or two. But, it was far less widespread here back then than it was in the Jewish communities in other countries, since restrictions were put in place very early.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:08 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Everyone went through some form of lockdown but the lockdown played out differently and had different regulations in every country.

Especially when it comes to things like minyanim, no other government issues regulations for holding minyanim, and coming up soon, how to hold arba minim markets and sukkah sales.

And I don't think any of the other countries represented here had a 500 metre limit to deal with.

Let's not forget that the first lockdown had a 100 metre limit!

And no one was allowed to go out at all on seder night, for any reason whatsoever.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 3:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Im March the death rate for corona in Israel was 17.
In April it unfortunately went up to 198.

The infection rate is a lot harder to quantify because tests were only available in limited quantities then, but the low death rate is an indication that our very early closure kept both inection and death rates relatively controlled at that time.

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

To be fair, sometimes people hold events with the intention to observe safety measures, but ultimately it's on the guests whether it becomes a super spreader event or not. Eg the hosts can't control whether or not some idiot decides to come despite feeling sick (because it's probably just allergies), or whether people respect the "pods" idea or go around talking to everyone.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:03 am
Can I vent also. My community is not under lockdown but my husband was diagnosed with Corona last week so we are stuck at home for the next little boy. Some of my kids just got sick so our quarantine will probably be extended. Banging head I know I should be grateful that no one is really sick but I just can't handle this. I was so excited to have everyone back in school and now they are all home. I am finding this so much harder than March/ April because now most people are back to regular life. Also last year my kids were able to leave the house to go biking or on walks but now I don't think they should. I just can't now!!!!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:39 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Can I vent also. My community is not under lockdown but my husband was diagnosed with Corona last week so we are stuck at home for the next little boy. Some of my kids just got sick so our quarantine will probably be extended. Banging head I know I should be grateful that no one is really sick but I just can't handle this. I was so excited to have everyone back in school and now they are all home. I am finding this so much harder than March/ April because now most people are back to regular life. Also last year my kids were able to leave the house to go biking or on walks but now I don't think they should. I just can't now!!!!

I hope everyone has an easy case, with lasting immunity, and that you'll be done with it. Hatzlacha getting through however long it takes.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:56 am
Australian here 👋🏻
Well more specifically from Melbourne - most of Australia is not in lockdown.

Only one state is - Victoria, which Melbourne is the capital city of.
This is our 6th week of lockdown, 5 km travel limit, and curfew.
In the last few days restrictions have started to ease a tiny bit.
Curfew moved from 8pm to 9pm
2 hours of exercise out of your home is now allowed instead of 1 hour
and BH BH BH playgrounds opened yesterday!

Cases got as high as 700+ new cases a day (in the state)
Now numbers are down to 30’s and 40’s.
So BH the situation is no where near as bad as other places, with the disease but we are all going crazy.

Everyone I speak to is struggling in some way or another.

Also keep in mind that we are just finishing winter here. So our kids have been doing remote learning for months. (They has a few weeks of in person school in June when the first round of restrictions were eased a bit - I think it was June - I’ve lost track of time 😝) They are burnt out to say the least.

We are hoping that they will be back in school for term four (after sukkos). But at this stage the govt is talking about the oldest and youngest grades going back to school then and we’re hoping there will be a gradual opening of the other grades as well.
The school year ends around mid December, so we are only talking about maybe 2 months of school.

At this stage not much is happening for yomtov. No gatherings are allowed. Even outdoors.
A huge project had been put together to make sure ppl across the city are able to hear shofar.
Hundreds of men and bochrim from across the community have learnt and volunteered to walk across Melbourne blowing shofar.

By Yom Kippur we might be able to have gatherings of 5 outside. Doesn’t really help with minyan though.
But works for sukkos.

There is frustration and stress everywhere.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics