Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sedating kids for dental work

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:49 pm
I know it’s pretty common.
But from a health perspective is it better to sedate or to have them be terrified and have pain?
I’m so uncomfortable with the sedating option even though it seems like the easy way out, but feel guilty putting my child through pain if it’s perfectly acceptable to sedate.
The dentist says it’s my choice.
It’s for an extraction and some fillings. DC is 6
Thoughts?

lilies

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:50 pm
How about laughing gas and numbing the area?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:52 pm
lilies wrote:
How about laughing gas and numbing the area?

I wonder why my dentist didn’t offer laughing gas. Perhaps he doesn’t do it? Numbing he’d do for sure.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:55 pm
You have to know your kid.

One of my daughters has had some fillings and an extraction without sedation. She was really a trooper, but I knew she’d be good.

My other daughter needed a lot of work. It could be done in multiple sessions while awake, or all at once with sedation. This particular child is a big baby with these things, and she already gives me a hard time with a dental cleaning. I knew that being awake would be too hard for her. Sedation was the best choice there.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:59 pm
What kind of safety precautions does the dentist use? Is there a separate anesthesiologist in the room to monitor everything? Is there CPR equipment. I ask because I had dental surgery last year and was given the option for sedation or just numbing.

The sedation was extremely expensive - about $500 or so if I recall correctly because of the staffing and precautions they used.

I opted just for the numbing because there is no pain so it's just dealing with being in the chair if you know what I mean. It wasn't the expense per se but for me it would have involved getting someone else to shlep me back and forth because you can't drive yourself home afterwards. Obviously for a child, it's different.

As a child I did have laughing gas for a few years but that doesn't seem to be something that is offered as much as it used to be. I don't know why. Now it seems that full out sedation given IV is what is offered. But I don't know if "laughing gas" is actually safer or would require the same safety precautions as IV sedation.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:02 pm
My Dr recommended sedation for my daughter since the last time I was there she ran out of the building and refused to come back in. Needs 2 baby root canals plus 2 or 3 fillings.

She's been to the dentist before, for 1 root canal and 1 filling, although she was crying through an wasn't still, she wasn't kicking or turning away. They got the work done.
The 2nd time I did a mistake, took both girls into the room. Once she saw all tools and her sister cry, she fled. Therefore Dr recommended sedation. But to whoever I spoke to, family, friends and neighbors, all discouraged me saying, it's should really only be done if real painful work needs to be done.

Decided to wait abit, she should hopefully forget that scene, and try going again. I'll ask them about laughing gas, if needed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:10 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
My Dr recommended sedation for my daughter since the last time I was there she ran out of the building and refused to come back in. Needs 2 baby root canals plus 2 or 3 fillings.

She's been to the dentist before, for 1 root canal and 1 filling, although she was crying through an wasn't still, she wasn't kicking or turning away. They got the work done.
The 2nd time I did a mistake, took both girls into the room. Once she saw all tools and her sister cry, she fled. Therefore Dr recommended sedation. But to whoever I spoke to, family, friends and neighbors, all discouraged me saying, it's should really only be done if real painful work needs to be done.

Decided to wait abit, she should hopefully forget that scene, and try going again. I'll ask them about laughing gas, if needed.

The running out of the building made me laugh LOL
I assume if laughing gas would be an option my dr would offer it. I’m happy you’re saying that you were discouraged because I also feel it’s wrong. My child will definitely not be a great patient but I still don’t feel that justifies sedating.

amother
Coral

I'd be scared of sedating a child. Would rather wait till old enough to sit through it with numbing and/or laughing gas or eventually baby teeth will fall out, so may not even do it.

lilies

Amarante wrote:
What kind of safety precautions does the dentist use? Is there a separate anesthesiologist in the room to monitor everything? Is there CPR equipment. I ask because I had dental surgery last year and was given the option for sedation or just numbing.

The sedation was extremely expensive - about $500 or so if I recall correctly because of the staffing and precautions they used.

I opted just for the numbing because there is no pain so it's just dealing with being in the chair if you know what I mean. It wasn't the expense per se but for me it would have involved getting someone else to shlep me back and forth because you can't drive yourself home afterwards. Obviously for a child, it's different.

As a child I did have laughing gas for a few years but that doesn't seem to be something that is offered as much as it used to be. I don't know why. Now it seems that full out sedation given IV is what is offered. But I don't know if "laughing gas" is actually safer or would require the same safety precautions as IV sedation.

I believe laughing gas is safer than sedation.
It may not be offered as insurance doesn't usually cover it, but I would definitely ask.

amother
OP

amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I'd be scared of sedating a child. Would rather wait till old enough to sit through it with numbing and/or laughing gas or eventually baby teeth will fall out, so may not even do it.

I’m definitely afraid of it, but the work can’t wait. My child is in pain.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:24 pm
Yes. I would rather sedate than put my child through multiple traumatic experiences.
Plus, he won't even open his mouth for a cleaning.
he was put under for an hour and got 4 teeth pulled, 2 root canals, 4 cavities filled, and crowns put on all his molars and pre-molars to prevent them from getting more cavities.
The only time we've been to the dentist since then (2 years later) was bc he was in pain -- bc he had new molars coming out!
My son says he'd love to do it again. he enjoyed his hospital experience and is less scared now when we go to the dentist for a cleaning bc he knows he wont be getting dental work.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:28 pm
My 6 year old just did a baby root canal with laughing gas, and nothing else.
They told me he was a dream to work on.
He also got to watch cartoons on those funny glasses, and since he doesn't watch much I'm sure he was enthralled.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:30 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Yes. I would rather sedate than put my child through multiple traumatic experiences.
he was put under for an hour and got 4 teeth pulled, 2 root canals, 4 cavities filled, and crowns put on all his molars and pre-molars to prevent them from getting more cavities.
The only time we've been to the dentist since then (2 years later) was bc he was in pain -- bc he had new molars coming out!
My son says he'd love to do it again. he enjoyed his hospital experience and is less scared now when we go to the dentist for a cleaning bc he knows he wont be getting dental work.

That’s basically all teeth. An adult would need sedation for this too. LOL

silverlining3

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:35 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

That's awful a lot of work. Poor child!
Yes, I agree to sedate for such.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:58 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
That’s basically all teeth. An adult would need sedation for this too. LOL

an adult would go multiple times for all this. I basically live at the dentist.
A 4 year old will not cooperate that many visits.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:03 am
I had to have my daughter sedated.
She needed a lot of dental work.
The dentist refused to do any additional treatment after the first visit, as she was not cooperative.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:43 am
My daughter was given versed. Orally. Is that an option?
(We had a rough time when it wore off though which is common so I’m not sure if I recommend it)

thinkermother

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 1:45 am
I just had my 4 yo sedated for dental work in dental office with anesthesiologist present. have to say it shook me up watching him go under and he was out of it for a couple of hours but all his work is done and he didnt have any pain after.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics