Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Ok to leave 10 year old home 1 1/2 hours alone

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:25 am
No law stating what age is OK to leave a child alone in my state. Not worried about my DD as she isn’t nervous and is responsible but do you think it’s crazy or even though no law against it that I could get in trouble? It would be a one time thing due to an unforeseen situation that arose... please be truthful but kind

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:31 am
During the daytime for sure. Just make sure there's a phone in the house.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:33 am
Yes.
I leave my 11.5 year old for upto 3 hours watching younger kids
For sure a 10 year old can stay home alone , daytime

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:35 am
You don't know your child. I am not in favor, and did not leave mine-even though "all their friends got to". I can see how it might be absolutely fine. Is she just ten or almost 11? What grade is she in? I would only even consider it, if it was daylight hours, you were not going far and easily accessible the whole time, no blech/oven... was left on, she was not responsible for another child and so forth.
My children are much older and I don't really remember.

momX4

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:36 am
I have done this. I informed my closest neighbor so that my daughter had a safe place to go to just incase.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:36 am
Would be daytime hours.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No law stating what age is OK to leave a child alone in my state. Not worried about my DD as she isn’t nervous and is responsible but do you think it’s crazy or even though no law against it that I could get in trouble? It would be a one time thing due to an unforeseen situation that arose... please be truthful but kind

First of all, every state does have such laws. You can look them up if you are unsure. No such thing as a state that doesn't.
Second, most states that I am aware of have the age of 8 or 9 as being old enough to stay alone. I am sure that by 10, it is legal. But use your own discretion if for some reason you feel your child can't handle it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:42 am
Trust me I googled it and FL does not have a law. I do trust and think my DD can handle it I just don’t want to risk getting in trouble and CVS problems.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trust me I googled it and FL does not have a law. I do trust and think my DD can handle it I just don’t want to risk getting in trouble and CVS problems.

Call your local government agency. This may not be something easily googled but no way there aren't laws on the books. Between guidelines for daycares and whatnot. Any local family lawyer worth their salt, would know it, too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
First of all, every state does have such laws. You can look them up if you are unsure. No such thing as a state that doesn't.
Second, most states that I am aware of have the age of 8 or 9 as being old enough to stay alone. I am sure that by 10, it is legal. But use your own discretion if for some reason you feel your child can't handle it.

I have looked into it endlessly and have never found a law for NY, specifically rockland county.
Not every state has a minimum legal age.

OP, as long as your child is responsible and mature and has an available phone, 10 is definitely old enough to be alone during the day. Ive done younger.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:52 am
OP an important point to remember is tell her to not open the door for anyone and if someone calls she should say that "my mom isn't available" and not that mom isn't home.

Raw

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:34 am
I think it’s totally fine as long as you have a functional landline, keep your cell phone with you and prepare your child for any emergency that could come up.
I think it does wonders for a child’s sense of independence and responsibility.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:40 am
Every kid is different but when I was 10 I definitely would have been okay left at home that long, even much longer. Technically I would have been okay at night too, but it would have been scary for me since I was afraid of the dark. I could have been left alone from sunrise until a little before sunset and been just fine though.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would be daytime hours.

Set her up with a special craft activity and a book she'd like to read. Make sure she has what to stay busy with because at this age boredom can lead to trouble.
Go over the rules with her again about not opening the door for anyone, even someone she knows.
Call and check in every 30 minutes.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I wouldn't want to leave my child alone in the house at that age I would be too nervous. I am very afraid of house fires, maybe that is just me.

Raw

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I wouldn't want to leave my child alone in the house at that age I would be too nervous. I am very afraid of house fires, maybe that is just me.

But wouldn’t your 10 year old know to run out of the house/call 911 in the event of a fire? What would you (being an adult) do differently?

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:20 am
I think it’s fine

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:30 pm
If she is reasonably responsible I would.
Before then I would have a long orientation with her.
Make sure to display emergency numbers and practice calling hatzala, 911, your phone number. Make sure she knows her address
Have a stranger danger conversation about opening the door and answering the phone. Tell her Which neighbor to run to in case of emergency. Review fire safety rules. No cooking. And to leave the house if she smells gas.
Also I would probably check in on her once or twice with a phonecall

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:32 pm
All went perfect BH. Thanks everyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children