Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why do people say tuition is expensive?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:18 am
I'm sending my son to school next year and was told that (being as most schools in Lakewood aren't likely to ruin my kid) one of my top considerations should be affordable tuition.

But now I'm wondering... What's all the hype?? Here's what I'm paying for my little ones:
Newborn - $8,500
Older 2s - $4,500
4 year old - $3,500

And in a previous daycare I sent to, I was paying about $2,000 more per child!

How is $4,000 or $6,000 considered such an enormous fee? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

ETA: While we're on the topic, anyone from Lakewood know which boys schools are on the cheaper end?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:24 am
The people saying that are not paying 4-6k or have many children and it adds up. My kids in preschool are over 10k each and it goes up from there.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:25 am
My son's special ed school is $128,000. I think that's pretty expensive, but if you disagree, you're welcome to pay his tuition.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:25 am
Lakewood has very low tuition compared to most. But also keep in mind that many people in Lakewood have little money and large families, so they can’t keep up with the low tuition.
However, I do think most who talk about how much tuition costs are referring to places that are 2 or 3 times the cost if not more. (My son’s high school tuition is over 25k.)

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm sending my son to school next year and was told that (being as most schools in Lakewood aren't likely to ruin my kid) one of my top considerations should be affordable tuition.

But now I'm wondering... What's all the hype?? Here's what I'm paying for my little ones:
Newborn - $8,500
Older 2s - $4,500
4 year old - $3,500

And in a previous daycare I sent to, I was paying about $2,000 more per child!

How is $4,000 or $6,000 considered such an enormous fee? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

My kids' schools are over $30,000 a year. Each. College is a bargain in comparison.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:28 am
Op you obviously are not sending to the schools where the tuition is insane.
Then again, tuition here in istsel is even lower for some (we pay around 2000 shekels a year)

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:31 am
OP, the amounts you give are more than infinity times the price of public school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
The people saying that are not paying 4-6k or have many children and it adds up. My kids in preschool are over 10k each and it goes up from there.

Lakewood or elsewhere?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
OP, the amounts you give are more than infinity times the price of public school.

Public school is just as relevant to me as leaving my kids home alone while I go to work. Never occurred to me to compare the cost.

Did you ever think about how much money you could save if you only ate bread and onions? No? Why not?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you ever think about how much money you could save if you only ate bread and onions? No? Why not?

No, because the added price of onions would do no good.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:41 am
(By the way, many Soylent users say they "quit food" partly for financial reasons.)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:44 am
OP, is it not obvious that the people complaining about expensive tuition aren't talking about Lakewood tuition?

In a similar vein, the people complaining about the cost of housing aren't talking about housing in Cleveland where you can buy a 4 bedroom for under 200k.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
OP, is it not obvious that the people complaining about expensive tuition aren't talking about Lakewood tuition?

In a similar vein, the people complaining about the cost of housing aren't talking about housing in Cleveland where you can buy a 4 bedroom for under 200k.

No, it's not obvious to me, because I live in Lakewood, so most people I talk to are actually paying Lakewood tuition - and yet they make it sound like having a kid turn 5 is one of the biggest financial disasters possible.

Maybe I'm taking their complaints too seriously, and their remarks are similar to those about their lack of sleep or whatever else they have on their minds.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lakewood or elsewhere?

Elsewhere obviously. The upside is I dont have to fight to get my kid into school but it ain't cheap once I'm in there.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:50 am
Contrary to popular belief, Jewish education doesn’t stop at the corner of Lakewood and Brooklyn.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:51 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, Jewish education doesn’t stop at the corner of Lakewood and Brooklyn.
but why ever not? Didnt you know that thats the center of the universe. Can't Believe It

pause

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:55 am
Because for most people it's their biggest expense. If you have 1-2 children, it's the second biggest expense (after rent/mortgage).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:56 am
I live in Lakewood also and wondered the same back when I was paying FT daycare for a baby - it was more than I pay for tuition.
But if you compare to the standard 9:15-2:15 playgroup it is more like $250 a month which is about half the price of tuition.
So it really depends where you are coming from.
And as you have more kids kah the difference compounds.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, it's not obvious to me, because I live in Lakewood, so most people I talk to are actually paying Lakewood tuition - and yet they make it sound like having a kid turn 5 is one of the biggest financial disasters possible.

Maybe I'm taking their complaints too seriously, and their remarks are similar to those about their lack of sleep or whatever else they have on their minds.

Most people in the US would not be able to afford to pay even relatively cheap private school tuitions for 5-6 kids. $30K in after tax income can easily be about $45K gross.

Median household income in New Jersey is around $80K gross, or a little higher maybe, so maybe $55-60 net? Why would it surprise you that even an extra $5K a year is a significant and burdensome expense?

keym

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:01 pm
Here's the thing.
One boy in school- 6k a year plus fees, building fees and daycamps because you work comes out to around 9k a year.
Thats not horrible.
Multiply it by 6. That's 50k a year.
And that means either you or your husband is only working 9-3, otherwise you need to add aftercare, clubs, morning babysitters, etc.
And Mesivta boys is close to double that (around 10k).
It's not that tuition is so expensive. It's that it is proportionately the largest family expense.
Average rent is only 24k a year for a large 5 bedroom townhouse (2k a month).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics