Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Uptick in lakewood, what are schools going to do

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:40 pm
I keep hearing about the uptick in cases in lakewood. Can someone in the know please tell me if schools are making plans for the possibility of another shutdown

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep hearing about the uptick in cases in lakewood. Can someone in the know please tell me if schools are making plans for the possibility of another shutdown

I don't live in Lakewood. My sons school shut down today. Hopefully only for a few days. The point is that every school needs to prepare for the possibility that they will have to temporarily close. Every school should be making plans for this possibility.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I don't live in Lakewood. My sons school shut down today. Hopefully only for a few days. The point is that every school needs to prepare for the possibility that they will have to temporarily close. Every school should be making plans for this possibility.

Yes ty exactly this. Can any lakewood administrators, teachers, secretaries, assistants or prinpal chime in?

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes ty exactly this. Can any lakewood administrators, teachers, secretaries, assistants or prinpal chime in?

It’s really hard to predict what will happen anywhere not only in Lakewood. I’m expecting my kids home somewhere somewhat this year. But of course I’m hoping for nothing close to last years shutdown.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:33 pm
While I can't speak for every Lakewood school and there's always exceptions to every rule, the general sense I get is that no, they are not making plans for shutdowns and distance learning. People are putting their heads in the sand and hoping there won't be problems. Many are discouraging testing or reporting, and just hoping for the best.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
While I can't speak for every Lakewood school and there's always exceptions to every rule, the general sense I get is that no, they are not making plans for shutdowns and distance learning. People are putting their heads in the sand and hoping there won't be problems. Many are discouraging testing or reporting, and just hoping for the best.

Yup. Exactly this.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:39 pm
Even if there is an uptick in cases, as long as hospitalizations aren't up there's no reason to shut down. Remember, in March and April hospitals were packed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:50 pm
There's a problem with burying your head in the sand. What do the schools do with the kids that have it and exposed others? Putting health risks aside, how do schools plan on educating kids that need to miss weeks of school at a time. A cold is 1-2 days. Quarantine is 14 days. What about re-exposure? Kids could potentially miss weeks if not months of school and fall significantly behind their peers. I'd like to know if schools are planning for this eventuality.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:01 pm
My kids are in 3 different schools.
They all have plans for the kids who are quarantining.
For my boys, and Mesivta boys, the schools kept the phone conference equipment in each class. If a boy is quarantining, the Rebbi and teacher do the class while on the phone and the boy is expected to call in.
If a whole class or chv the school has to shut down, they will use the same conference system as last year.
My high school daughter said that the school has a recording system. If a student is absent, the teacher records the whole lesson and the recording is sent home, and the girl is responsible for making up the work.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:02 pm
Op please tell us, if you were a school principal , what would you do?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:13 pm
my niece tested positive. She is currently quarantining. She said her school is recording the classes so that people who can't come can listen in.

Mothers

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:14 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Even if there is an uptick in cases, as long as hospitalizations aren't up there's no reason to shut down. Remember, in March and April hospitals were packed

I would think the idea is to not get to the point where hospitalizations are up. . .

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:06 pm
They have been there done that. They will move to whatever method of distance learning they used last year. What's the question?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:08 pm
If you live in lakewood call your kid's school and ask. if you don't then there is no reason you need to know.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:10 pm
If there is a shutdown I'd like for the schools to consider zoom and equipping parents with the necessary devices so there is not this scramble we had last year. I'm dreading this but I'd just like to know that schools are trying to be somewhat proactive.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:18 pm
As a teacher in a Lakewood school where there are a number of students currently in quarantine...so far the girls have been calling into the classroom and listening to the lessons. Teachers are sending home handouts. Seems to be the best solution for these crazy times.

keym

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If there is a shutdown I'd like for the schools to consider zoom and equipping parents with the necessary devices so there is not this scramble we had last year. I'm dreading this but I'd just like to know that schools are trying to be somewhat proactive.

They won't do zoom.
The Roshei Yeshiva spoke against it. That's it.
And they really can't plan ahead because of the uncertainty.
Can individual classes get together in shuls and basements as religious gatherings? What about half classes, alternating days or times? For how long?
I can't see Murphy shutting down all the gatherings and religious groups like he did in March because of the lawsuits and court cases and freedom of religion.
So can a Rebbi gather a class in an empty basement and learn with them? In March, no, but maybe now yes.
But who knows what can or will happen? So the schools just can't plan.
We didn't cancel our extra cheap phone accounts. We put the phones away, hopefully not to be used.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:04 pm
3 of my kids have classmates out.
Boys and girls elementary have phones in classroom.
Boys mesivta does not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics