Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Whats the best Jewish book you ever read?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:30 pm
Beyond a reasonable doubt

tothepoint

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:47 pm
Incredible! by Nachman Selzter is truly that-incredible!

As a kid I loved reading Tzipi Caton’s Miracle ride, It never ceased to bore me

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:34 pm
Didn't read the other answers but my all time favorite Jewish book is Every Man a Slave.

amother because I recommend this book to everyone I know

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:51 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Can’t believe no one mentioned leah gebber.

I loved chains and map the starlight

Also the harp my MU Gottesman

I LOVE really good Jewish historical fiction. Which is why I enjoy those authors.
And Shortchanged (E.G. Schwartz), Freefall and The Cohens of Tzfat (Miriam Zakon), The Exiles of Crocodile Island (Henye Meyer).

Since I'm veering into teen or younger territory, there's also The Stars Will Guide You (Miriam Walfish), Name the Stars (Penina Weiser).

climbing613

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Not the one I was referring to, anyway. The one I remember was published probably 1990ish, and had a dark blue cover. The girl who found out about not being Jewish was named Anat, I think. Narrator's name was Tamar.

The Unanswered Cry

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:16 pm
Wonderful thread! I'm mentally compiling a list of old favorites to reread.

I also love Sarah Shapiro's anthologies- our lives. So many really gifted writers cintributed.

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:22 pm
Wow I have such feelings of nostalgia! I was an avid reader when I was younger and loved most of these books !

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:12 pm
snooper86 wrote:
So not a Double Life if Chani Greenberg?

Now I’m intrigued.

The name of the book is "the unaswered cry" about an ultra frum girl who finds out she is
not Jewish.

dena613

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:43 pm
There is a book written by someone who survived cancer. She writes her story in such a positive, uplifting way. I read it in eighth grade and loved it.
The Way I See It, by Malia Panzer.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:55 pm
Reality wrote:
If you google the title of the jewish book you want many used book stores have them in stock.

I ordered Forever My Jerusalem from Abes books. It was $10 including shipping. Hardcover and in good condition. It just came today and I can't wait for my kids to read it!

I did this during the March- April corona lockdown. Bought quite a few of the (jewish) books I loved as a when I was younger, for my kids. Greatly expanded our home library. Including Forever My Jerusalem, Promise Me Tomorrow, Holocaust Diaries, and some newer ones too. Amazon also often has used versions for cheaper.

snooper86

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:27 am
dena613 wrote:
There is a book written by someone who survived cancer. She writes her story in such a positive, uplifting way. I read it in eighth grade and loved it.
The Way I See It, by Malia Panzer.

That’s Tzipi Catons “Miracle Ride” I’m assuming.

snooper86

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:30 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I LOVE really good Jewish historical fiction. Which is why I enjoy those authors.
And Shortchanged (E.G. Schwartz), Freefall and The Cohens of Tzfat (Miriam Zakon), The Exiles of Crocodile Island (Henye Meyer).

Since I'm veering into teen or younger territory, there's also The Stars Will Guide You (Miriam Walfish), Name the Stars (Penina Weiser).

Just finished re-reading “The Stars Will Guide You” again. Love the way it’s written and how we gain insight into how the Italian Jews feared in WWII. It’s one of my favorites for the 10-14+ age group.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:15 am
A Veiled Truth by EG Schwartz

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:23 am
I am HOOKED to ordering books from Menucha Publishers. Use this: https://menuchapublishers.com/.....books

They have unbelievable stuff and super friendly customer service! Smile

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:00 pm
https://www.goodreads.com/book.....moirs

dena613

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:09 pm
snooper86 wrote:
That’s Tzipi Catons “Miracle Ride” I’m assuming.

No it's not.
I really enjoyed tzipi Caton's book too!
But when I saw someone mention it, it reminded me of The Way I See It, which was written by a woman who was a wife and mommy at the time of her illness.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:53 pm
There was a book I read about a woman who had a sudden brain injury - sort of like an aneurysm, but different....and how she had to start learning to walk all over again, and so much more....but with incredible strength and perseverance she regained much of her functioning and can take care of her children and family. I found it incredibly inspiring, but can't remember the title.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:55 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Can’t believe no one mentioned leah gebber.

I loved chains and map the starlight

Also the harp my MU Gottesman

I've wanted to read chains (read bits of it in Mishpacha) but they no longer have it in Judaica Plaza.

I love some of her other writing, including her current Rocking Horse serial.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:47 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I can't remember the name of the book - about a girl, very frum, who finds out she is not
halachicly Jewish.

The double life of Chanie Greenberg?

Chaya123

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:49 pm
A Daughter of Two Mothers

I read this book more than 10 years ago and still think about it from time to time...It had such a deep effect on me.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room