Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Hemangioma on upper lip surgeon recommendations

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:10 pm
Do any of you have any recommendations for a plastic surgeon for a big hemangioma on a toddler’s upper lip that crosses over the border? Please help. I am looking for someone located in the Long Island area.

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:13 pm
No recommendations but I wanted to tell you that two of my kids had hemangiomas on the face and both went away by themselves before age 5

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:06 pm
unexpected wrote:
No recommendations but I wanted to tell you that two of my kids had hemangiomas on the face and both went away by themselves before age 5

Wow I am so happy to hear that BH. Were they also thick/raised? My baby has one on her upper lip and the doctor said it will probably not go away completely. Do you think it’s true?

tweety1

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:14 pm
I had a neighbor that had one on her face. A big, puffy, disgusting one. Kid is now abt 8-9 yrs old and doesn't have one drop of it left. Her mother did not do surgery. I saw it shrinking over time starting from abt 2 yrs old.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:46 pm
You don't have to use the word "disgusting." My daughter had one (B"H it went away after a few yrs) and I would be deeply hurt to hear someone describe it that way. Not everyone is blessed with perfect skin from birth but each child is beautiful in their own way.

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow I am so happy to hear that BH. Were they also thick/raised? My baby has one on her upper lip and the doctor said it will probably not go away completely. Do you think it’s true?

They were about 1 inch diameter, bright red, thick and puffy with little bumps on it. They made me understand why hemangiomas were nicknamed strawberries! On kid had it right next to the nose, on the cheek. The other in the middle of the forehead. Of course they were both girls- cuz why not. They started shrinking after age 2- were completely gone by age 5

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:51 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I had a neighbor that had one on her face. A big, puffy, disgusting one. Kid is now abt 8-9 yrs old and doesn't have one drop of it left. Her mother did not do surgery. I saw it shrinking over time starting from abt 2 yrs old.

Hey- are you my neighbor?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 6:29 pm
My brother had one in his cheek. He took a funny medicine (to try to make it stop growing?) it was a hard bump in his cheek that made it look a bit swollen. It came up at about 6 mono and was not noticable by the time he was 2ish.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:09 pm
Dr. Milton Waner is in Manhattan. He is tops in the field, especially facial vascular birthmarks on kids. He's a vascular surgeon- you can't just have a plastic surgeon do this. He will evaluate it, and see if any measures are needed. If so, it could be laser, excision, etc. There is also something called sclerotherapy that involves injections- he refers to a different doctor for that.

He is amazing in explaining things and in rapport, though sometimes there is a very long wait. We have used him for multiple members of our family. 212-434-4050, https://www.vbiny.org/

This website will help you find other doctors, and has a lot of resources: https://birthmark.org.

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:07 pm
My neighbor had one on the face too. They gave her a certain cardiac medication that helped it go away in a few months, no scar. When ds was born with one on his arm, I went to the same dr as my neighbor. However, she didn’t recommend the cardiac medicine for him since it wasn’t on the face or covering a vital organ. They evaluate each case as needed. She gave me a cream to help reduce the size of the blood vessels. Ds is 6, it’s skin color but still a bump. Fades over time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:45 pm
So my baby’s started growing at around a few weeks of age

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:50 am
unexpected wrote:
Hey- are you my neighbor?

Maybe Wink

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:53 am
Lol I'm laughing cuz I totally forgot abt. My baby was born with a bunch of them. Some bigger some smaller. Dr in the hospital told me baby will need medical intervention. In aim byisroel the nurses told me they'll disappear. She's less than a yr old she still has one in the back of her head mostly covered by her hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics