Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Hot food for Shabbos lunch
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:15 pm
Hi all!

We have a minhag to eat something warm (really chulent) for shabbos lunch. I usually do chulent in the croc pot, but I don't want to stay with the dirty croc pot until Sunday night, and then have to wash it when I'm so tired. Not just about the washing, also just having the big dirty pot out. (All my YT food gets transferred to disposable pans before YT, reheated for meals, and then thrown out, but can't reheat well on Shabbos).
What's a better alternative?

Pickle1

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:20 pm
you can make cholent in your oven in a disposable pan

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:21 pm
Where do you want this hot food that isn't in the crock pot to be? Either it will be in the oven or on a blech/ plata? In which case you can just go with the cholent but just have it in the disposable pan like everything else.

flmommy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:23 pm
After Shabbos I think you could add water to the crock pot and it would clean itself out. Am I right? It that halachicly OK?

mamaleh

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:25 pm
You could use a cooking bag in the crockpot, then it's not so dirty

mfb

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:26 pm
Use Reynolds crockpot liner bag.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:32 pm
Why would u be more tired Sun night as opposed to any Mot shabos?

writeread

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:34 pm
flmommy wrote:
After Shabbos I think you could add water to the crock pot and it would clean itself out. Am I right? It that halachicly OK?

I don’t believe that’s allowed since you’re cooking (heating water) on YT for after YT.

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:37 pm
You can keep the tchulent in a pot on the plata, rather than crockpot...
If you fill to disposable, you have to be careful about burning, because the surface heated is bigger...
You could fill the crockpot with water & soap till motzei yomtov...

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:37 pm
writeread wrote:
I don’t believe that’s allowed since you’re cooking (heating water) on YT for after YT.

Not when it's on the fire... just the pot...

shanie5

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 6:28 pm
Or you could plan sunday lunch in the crockpot. Then you can wash it out motzei shabbos and fill again. (soup, chicken, roast, apple crisp...)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 6:37 pm
Thank you for all the responses!
I was thinking about my oven, it shuts after 12 hours though, so even if I turn it on 6:30 Friday afternoon we won't be eating the main on Shabbos until at least 2.
I thought about doing chulent on blech in pan, would that be gross? (I don't eat chulent, asking for experienced chulent eaters.) Would making it in a disposable pot (like a pan but thicker I guess) be an option?

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all the responses!
I was thinking about my oven, it shuts after 12 hours though, so even if I turn it on 6:30 Friday afternoon we won't be eating the main on Shabbos until at least 2.
I thought about doing chulent on blech in pan, would that be gross? (I don't eat chulent, asking for experienced chulent eaters.) Would making it in a disposable pot (like a pan but thicker I guess) be an option?

It could be that the water evaporates more quickly than if you put it in a pot... so it could come out dry... maybe you want to put a bit more water...
Do you have a possibility to put a grid or another disposable pan under your pan in case it gets too hot?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:07 pm
I cook my cholent in a pot before shabbos and put it in a pan on the blech every week. I put some water in the bottom of a deep 9x13 pan, ball up aluminum foil for cholent to sit on, then put cholent in a smaller covered pan on top of the aluminum foil and water. Cover with 9x13 lid and leave on the blech, comes out great every week!

grateful2bmom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all!

We have a minhag to eat something warm (really chulent) for shabbos lunch. I usually do chulent in the croc pot, but I don't want to stay with the dirty croc pot until Sunday night, and then have to wash it when I'm so tired. Not just about the washing, also just having the big dirty pot out. (All my YT food gets transferred to disposable pans before YT, reheated for meals, and then thrown out, but can't reheat well on Shabbos).
What's a better alternative?

What about using a crockpot liner?
I started using these a year ago and it makes cleanup so much easier every week! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....share

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:00 pm
most ovens have a feature where you can override the 12 hr shut off. (pull out drawer on bottom, left side should have your model number, google your model number followed by the words 'use and care guide' it should pull up a pdf of you manual which will tell you step by step if you have that feature.)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:14 pm
What do you do in a 3 day y”t?

agreer

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:10 pm
If the problem is truly the washing on Motzei Yom Tov (sunday night)....don't! Fill it with soapy water, let it sit, and wash it Monday morning.

You're welcome :-)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:26 pm
agreer wrote:
If the problem is truly the washing on Motzei Yom Tov (sunday night)....don't! Fill it with soapy water, let it sit, and wash it Monday morning.

You're welcome :-)

Thanks but I have bloodwork scheduled for Monday morning for right after carpool, and I just don't want the dirty pot in my kitchen until then (even just for over YT).
For the one asking about 3 day YT, I go to my in laws a lot, just not going this year. When I am home, this is the meal I try to make arrangements to go out for, I'm just not going out this year.
Thank you everyone. I think I'll cook it in a pot and transfer to a disposable pot before shabbos.

climbing613

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:10 pm
Reynolds crockpot liner was a life changer for me
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur