Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does your dh help you make challah?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:29 pm
Dh barely helps with anything and he certainly wouldn't help if I decide to bake challah.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:35 pm
After my father retired, he became extremely interested in bread making and would make challah and biscotti (Italian Mandelbrot essentially).

He would even take the challah when he visited anyone and would carry a baggy of his biscotti and sometimes offer them to strangers sitting next to him when he was having coffee at Starbucks. He was extremely outgoing - as the saying goes he never met a stranger.

As a joke, I made up a business card for him extolling his talents as challah and biscotti baker extraordinaire and offering his services.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:24 pm
My dh puts the ingredients into the mixer. I divide it up. One dc rolls "snakes". I braid. Another prepares the pans. One eggs & seeds. One watches to take it out of the oven in time. It is a whole family project every time.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:42 pm
No- I love baking and the way I do it. It would make me nervous if it was messy.

artz

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:02 pm
My Dh makes the dough and I braid it

Fave

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:22 pm
DH helps by eating it. That must count for something!

All kidding aside, DH doesn’t know his way around the kitchen. He does help a lot with kids - homework, baths, bedtime.
I prefer it this way.

Colorpop

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:56 pm
My husband helps out a lot with the cooking, but baking is up to me. He loves cooking because he can get creative with the spices, quantities, etc., but baking is much more of a science and exact so he leaves that to me.

cream+sugar

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:12 pm
My father made all the challah in my house growing up. My grandmother only had boys, and expected all of them to do know how to do anything that needed doing around the house. Turns out, he's a bit of a wizard in the challah department! I don't think my mother has ever made challah in her life.

My husband does dishes like a boss, but only after I have left the room. I cannot be present without micromanaging. Someone sent around a meme last week that said, "Behind every great man is the drawer I need to get into, ugh, why are you even in kitchen," and I have never felt more seen.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:38 pm
My son makes the challah Smile

avrahamama

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:54 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Your husband is lucky to have you!

Thank you! We both are. I'm not much of a baker so he knew that if he wanted a home baked good he would need to take initiative. BH for that.

Hashem please help all our homes be a reflection of the love he has for us!

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:57 pm
My husband makes the challah. I haven’t done it in years.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:58 pm
My husband helps roll the strands.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:59 pm
zaq wrote:
Do you have a commercial mixer, or do you drive your car back and forth over the dough in a plastic bag 1/8" thick?

LOL

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 8:56 am
Ha, my dad ah zal was the cook. my mom had to learn Sad

A number of guys are into the knives, my husband has a collection and is on forums

His friend makes homemade breads

I once asked a guy his wife's rfecipe for a cake he said "it's my signature"

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Not my husband, but whenever he is home, my teenage son does the braiding. He is so much better at it than I am and his challahs are gorgeous! He learned how to make 6 braided ones in camp years ago (I always made 3 strand braids) and they are perfect, so whenever he is home from yeshiva I make a 5 lb. dough and he does the braiding. His future wife is very lucky. Smile

Great. All kids learned at our previous place and the director cooked with the big boys for siyumim
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen