Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
At what age do people not make yom tov anymore?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:21 pm
OP, why does it matter to you when other people stop making yom tov? What is your issue? Live your life the way you feel you want to and need to. If you dont want to make yom tov or cant, then dont.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Numbers please! What age do the people you know not make yom tov anymore?

42 is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:31 am
My mother decided not to make Pesach in 2019 and went to my brother for the whole chag. well, 2020 came along and she had to stay home alone and make pesach again.
And shes home alone for the tishrei chagim as well.

Shes in her mid 60s. But shes also been divorced for many years.
Everyone has different circumstances.
My in laws live walking distance from us so they usually come for the seder but this year they had to stay home.
They like to split the chagim and stay home for some meals and come to us for some meals. They don't go to any of their other children for any holidays.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 4:03 am
Sounds like another research paper

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 4:30 am
My parents are in their 70s and at this stage and because most of my siblings and me live pretty far and have lots of kids it is easier for both their kids and them to go to their houses for yom tov. Also most of my siblings can't leave home for yom tov. Sometimes they like to stay home and just be on their own or have friends over.

Now with Corona no guests.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:21 am
My grandparents used to come to their kids for Sukkot and Pesach since they were in their high 60’s.
But this last year between a surgery and corona they have made their own. Ditto for this year’s sukkot.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:34 am
What counts as making YT.
My inlaws (late 70's kyh) still make Pesach, but haven't made Sukkot in 15 years. My parents (almost the same age) have made Pesach 2x in their life, when my grandfather was very sick and my grandmother couldn't and this year with Corona. My parents live in a 2 bedroom apartment so they can't host my or my sister's growing families, but they cook most of the food when they come to us, host every Chanukah/Purim....and take children for Shabbos as a treat to the child for individual time and a break for us.

Your question makes no sense.

My favorite answer was when people just gave you random numbers.

STMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:50 am
I completely don't understand this question during coronavirus. everyone should be making their own yom tov this year. no one should be going anywhere. my elderly parents are catering yom tov and staying home. my single sibling is staying home alone. what even is this question. sheesh.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:56 am
STMommy wrote:
I completely don't understand this question during coronavirus. everyone should be making their own yom tov this year. no one should be going anywhere. my elderly parents are catering yom tov and staying home. my single sibling is staying home alone. what even is this question. sheesh.

I think it’s a general question, not specific to this year.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:57 am
STMommy wrote:

Was waiting for a reply like this lol. Could always count on someone to bring it in... Party

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:01 am
I see older people tend to go when there are grandchildren, easier on everyone

STMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:05 am
SuperWify wrote:
Was waiting for a reply like this lol. Could always count on someone to bring it in... Party

Happy to have been your someone LOL

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:26 pm
People make yomtov until extenuating circumstances such as age, health, widowhood (chv) etc causes them to be unable to. There's no 'standard' age for htat.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:55 pm
My parents started going away for Y"T after my mother A"H had Parkinson's for a few years and it was getting hard for her to make Y"T. It was gradual - first they went away for Pesach, then Succos too, then R"H, etc....

Now that my father remarried, they divide Pesach and Succos between their respective children (half with her kids, half with my family) but they stay home for Chol Hamoed. For R"H they are staying home but are coming to me for some meals as I live nearby, and they do the same for Shavuos.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:00 pm
My grandparents hosted in their 90's(with help), sometimes 30 guests! It was their joy!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:00 pm
I think it’s based personalityy and stage based.
Some ppl still have single kids st home at 65 and newlyweds at 70. Some have empty nests by 50.

My MIL will make yom tov as long as Hashem gives her koach. She sees going to her children - no matter how much they beg - a sign of aging.

My mother has been coming to me since My kids were babies. It’s easier for both of us. She helps me with cooking and entertains the kids here we both enjoy it way more. I doubt she’ll make yom tov again (well if not for covid - they are home and alone for yomim tovim this year Sad )

But neither would want to spend at hotel alone without their children. I think that is diff then traveling to kids for yom tov.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:14 pm
My (stingy)parents don’t want to make yom tov any longer. They simply don’t want to hire cleaning help or someone to put up a sukkah. They are around 65. They can’t do all the work themselves.
We are struggling financially. If they would help with yom tov food bills, they would be invited. Since they don’t, and they CAN afford it, they ll spend another yt alone. Before someone throw stones at me, we are eating parve cholent and chicken wings for RH. My parents eat pastrami in the cholent, roast beef , fancy deserts etc

rdmom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:30 pm
My parents and in laws are both high 60’s. My parents refuse to go out. They insist on making Yom Tov at home. And my in laws insist on going out. Be it a hotel or being invited to kids. But they don’t want to stay home.

CiCi

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:48 pm
STMommy wrote:

When exactly will it be "after coronavirus"?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
My (stingy)parents don’t want to make yom tov any longer. They simply don’t want to hire cleaning help or someone to put up a sukkah. They are around 65. They can’t do all the work themselves.
We are struggling financially. If they would help with yom tov food bills, they would be invited. Since they don’t, and they CAN afford it, they ll spend another yt alone. Before someone throw stones at me, we are eating parve cholent and chicken wings for RH. My parents eat pastrami in the cholent, roast beef , fancy deserts etc

I don’t really like your attitude. Do you know that your Yom Tov outlays are part of the “expense account” and get paid back within reason? Also, it sounds like you guys are the stingy ones and waiting to receive instead of dreaming about being givers.

In any case, I am 43. I have to make every yom tov because I have nowhere to go. I’m not geshickt enough to host families but I do host singles who ask me to host). I like to cook my own food but I know lots of people who just buy takeout. Or even Chas vShalom have their cleaning lady cook (said seriously because there are so many problems that come along with that). So there are many ways to skin the cat.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen