Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
103.8 in a 9 month old-update
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:56 pm
My baby had 102.4 this morning. Very sleepy. A little better after I give him Tylenol. It's 4 hrs later I just gave him more but it's now 103.8. I went to the Dr today and she told me if it's not better till Friday to come back. Am I crazy if I go back tom? To me 103.8 for such an age is so high. I'm petrified.
I know some secretaries and some drs give attitude if you don't follow exactly what you were told. I wouldn't think twice if I wouldn't be scared of the attitude.

paintbrush

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:59 pm
I would bring him back. If the doctor won’t take him, you can take him to a fast track or urgent care.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby had 102.4 this morning. Very sleepy. A little better after I give him Tylenol. It's 4 hrs later I just gave him more but it's now 103.8. I went to the Dr today and she told me if it's not better till Friday to come back. Am I crazy if I go back tom? To me 103.8 for such an age is so high. I'm petrified.
I know some secretaries and some drs give attitude if you don't follow exactly what you were told. I wouldn't think twice if I wouldn't be scared of the attitude.

My son used to have that high at that age. I used to give Tylenol and Motrin and check during the night. If I didn’t want to wait I absolutely would bring him back or call. Babies get higher temps than adults. Just monitor it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:06 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
My son used to have that high at that age. I used to give Tylenol and Motrin and check during the night. If I didn’t want to wait I absolutely would bring him back or call. Babies get higher temps than adults. Just monitor it.

His fever is bh breaking with Tylenol alone and is keeping it down for abt 3 1/2-4 hrs. But the thing I'm nervous abt cuz earlier today it was 102.4 and now 103.8. 103.8 sounds like such a scary number at such a young age.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:07 pm
paintbrush wrote:
I would bring him back. If the doctor won’t take him, you can take him to a fast track or urgent care.

Dr will take him the question is the attitude that it will come along with.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:10 pm
I'm not a doctor, always take your kid in if you feel like you should. Always better safe than sorry.

That being said, our doctor has repeatedly told us that after 3 months it's more about how baby is acting than the number. She said if baby is either very lethargic or very upset (like screaming and can't be comforted by anything), take them in no matter what the number says. But for the number alone, she told us we only need to go in if it's 105 or above.

Seeing numbers that high can feel so scary, though, I feel you. If you're still worried, trust your gut.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
His fever is bh breaking with Tylenol alone and is keeping it down for abt 3 1/2-4 hrs. But the thing I'm nervous abt cuz earlier today it was 102.4 and now 103.8. 103.8 sounds like such a scary number at such a young age.

It goes up at night so that makes sense. Just keep alternating so that you keep the temps down. I know it sounds scary but it’s not as high as if it would be an adult. See how he is in the morning and take him back if still concerned.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:25 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I'm not a doctor, always take your kid in if you feel like you should. Always better safe than sorry.

That being said, our doctor has repeatedly told us that after 3 months it's more about how baby is acting than the number. She said if baby is either very lethargic or very upset (like screaming and can't be comforted by anything), take them in no matter what the number says. But for the number alone, she told us we only need to go in if it's 105 or above.

Seeing numbers that high can feel so scary, though, I feel you. If you're still worried, trust your gut.

He's very sleepy when his fever is up and very cranky when fever is down. Dr didn't see anything today. I hope Tom he will. "Viral" diagnosis I hate. I think I'm taking the trip tom. I'm so nervous that my head is shooting.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:29 pm
I would be more worried about what's causing it. Did Dr check for ear infection and covid? What about UTI?

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:30 pm
Alternate tylenol & motrin every 3 hours, don't let the fever spike.

103.8 is high for a viral infection, unless it's the flu. Did you rule out all bacterial possibilities, such as strep/ UTI/ ear infection, etc?

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Tylenol and Motrin have to be spaced by an interval of 3 hours.

Bruria

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:39 pm
That's very high, I would take to the doctor or urgent care immediately, better safe than sorry!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:40 pm
gold21 wrote:
Alternate tylenol & motrin every 3 hours, don't let the fever spike.

103.8 is high for a viral infection, unless it's the flu. Did you rule out all bacterial possibilities, such as strep/ UTI/ ear infection, etc?

Just ear infection. Nothing else.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:48 pm
Other viral illnesses can get that high. This is a peak age for roseola for example.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just ear infection. Nothing else.

Meaning no ear infection?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Meaning no ear infection?

Just fluid no ear infection. Dr said he might be coming down with one. Meanwhile I sent the Dr an email. The nurses monitor the email account. I hope somebody will respond shortly.

pizzapie

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:10 pm
Several of my babies have had high fever like 103 to 104 at this age. They dont normally test for a UTI unless the fever is persistent and high for a week. The only way to accurately diagnose a UTI at this age is by catheterizing so they try not to unless they ruled everything else out. I know it's annoying but the mostly likely cause is a viral infection. Antibiotics dont help treat viruses and you really have to just wait it out. They also rarely test for strep throat at this age. Keep alternating with motrin and tylenol. You can double check with your pediatrician to make sure you are giving the correct doses of each.
Refuah sheleima!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:15 pm
I know my kids have a virus when they have very high fever. But I find it scary every time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:16 pm
pizzapie wrote:
Several of my babies have had high fever like 103 to 104 at this age. They dont normally test for a UTI unless the fever is persistent and high for a week. The only way to accurately diagnose a UTI at this age is by catheterizing so they try not to unless they ruled everything else out. I know it's annoying but the mostly likely cause is a viral infection. Antibiotics dont help treat viruses and you really have to just wait it out. They also rarely test for strep throat at this age. Keep alternating with motrin and tylenol. You can double check with your pediatrician to make sure you are giving the correct doses of each.
Refuah sheleima!

So they responded fast. They weren't overly concerned of the 104. I had to give him Motrin right away even if it's not 3 hrs since Tylenol and to keep on alternating. Every 4 hrs Tylenol and every 6 Motrin and to come back tom regardless unless he's totally fever free. Even if it's starts going down Dr wants to see him.

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:17 pm
pizzapie wrote:
Refuah sheleima!

Not a fan of this approach cuz it almost missed catching my baby daughter's UTI. A baby shouldn't suffer with a UTI for a week. Catheterizing isn't a big deal and is done in office and takes a minute.

Do I think OP's baby has a UTI? No. I think he has an ear infection.

Anyway, I was persistent about telling the doc that this was more than a virus, and I was right.

Her fever was approx 104.

My pediatrician is much more vigilant about testing for UTIs now in his practice since he saw how easily my daughter's infection could have been missed. I'm glad I could contribute to the greater good. Lol.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics