Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Math and logic riddle thread
  Previous  1  2  3   67  68  69  Next

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 11:40 am
The lockers riddle got me dizzy. And I don’t get the switches one yet. The fluorescent hint only confused me so far.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 11:46 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
First riddle:

3 men go on a business trip together.
They come to the hotel late at night.

There is a confusion, it did not say in their reservation they would arrive late.
Only one room is left , but it has three beds.
They decide to share the room.
It costs 30 Silver Dollars. They have to pay upfront.
So each of them gives 10 Silver Dollars, and they go to the room to sleep.

Next morning, when they want to leave, the receptionist sees that the night receptionist made a mistake. The room costs only 25 Silver Dollars. So he gives them back 5 Silver Dollars.

They each take one silver dollar, but, not knowing how to split the remaining two, they leave it as a tip.

Now:

Each man paid 9 silver dollars.
9x3 = 27
They gave 2 as a tip
27 + 2 = 29

Where is the 30th Silver Dollar?

Hidden: 

There is no 30th.
27 = 25 +2 or
25 = 30-5
You would have to subtract the 2 dollars tip from the 27 they gave, not add them.

Hidden: 

The question is wrong. There’s no 30’th missing. The total was 25 but they collectively paid 27$. 2$ extra went for the tip

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 11:48 am
tigerwife wrote:
You are standing outside a closed door with three light switches. Inside the room there is a single lightbulb. Only one switch can be turned on when you enter the room. How do you know which switch turns the light on?

How would I know?
Absolutely no clue.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:44 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

The question is wrong. There’s no 30’th missing. The total was 25 but they collectively paid 27$. 2$ extra went for the tip

Yes, that's the answer! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:46 pm
tigerwife wrote:
You are standing outside a closed door with three light switches. Inside the room there is a single lightbulb. Only one switch can be turned on when you enter the room. How do you know which switch turns the light on?

Are you sure you put all the information in there?

Because I am not even sure what we are supposed to find out...

Which of the three switches is it, with just one try?

Try as often as you want, but find out whether the light is on, although the door is closed?

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:10 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
Are you sure you put all the information in there?

Because I am not even sure what we are supposed to find out...

Which of the three switches is it, with just one try?

Try as often as you want, but find out whether the light is on, although the door is closed?

Right, the wording is confusing. Where are the switches? Who cares whether the door is open or closed? Before we enter can we try the switches but as we enter we must choose only 1?

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:18 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Ah, I see now what you want to say.

But I still don't see how the setup should be formulated...

Also: are those switches where you see if they are on "on" or "off" or not?
And it looks as if you were not allowed to go in after having switched once, but you had to switch twice before going in, because otherwise you would just open the door and see whether the light is burning...

I suppose the solution we are supposed to find is this:

Hidden: 

Go in and touch whether the bulb is warm, so you know whether it was on or off...

Last edited by ChanieMommy on Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:21 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:

Hidden: 

Go in and touch whether the bulb is warm, so you know whether it was on or off...

I’m giving up so I checked your answer, I’m not getting it Sad

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:22 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I’m giving up so I checked your answer, I’m not getting it Sad

Neither do I...

I suppose there is some information missing in the description of the setting... and in the question...

malki2

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:34 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:

And it looks as if you were not allowed to go in after having switched once, but you had to switch twice before going in, because otherwise you would just open the door and see whether the light is burning...

Hidden: 

👋👋👋

malki2

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:37 pm
You have a water faucet and 2 jugs, one of which is 3 gallons, and the other is 5 gallons. Using these 2 jugs, how can you measure out exactly 4 gallons? There are 2 solutions.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:38 pm
malki2 wrote:
👋👋👋

But how would you formulate the riddle?

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:42 pm
malki2 wrote:
You have a water faucet and 2 jugs, one of which is 3 gallons, and the other is 5 gallons. Using these 2 jugs, how can you measure out exactly 4 gallons? There are 2 solutions.

Do you have an extra jug where to put the water you are measuring out?

malki2

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:43 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
But how would you formulate the riddle?

The riddle was formulated correctly (when it was explained that the switches are on the outside). I was clapping for the person who got the solution.

malki2

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:43 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
Do you have an extra jug where to put the water you are measuring out?

No.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:10 pm
malki2 wrote:

Hidden: 

Fill up 5 put into 3 stay with 2. Spill 3 put in 2. Fill up 5. Pour only 1 into 3 (that’s how much space there is) equals 4

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:12 pm
malki2 wrote:
The riddle was formulated correctly (when it was explained that the switches are on the outside). I was clapping for the person who got the solution.

I must be slow because I didn’t clearly understand the question and don’t get how it’s the answer but let’s skip it. Patience for this one has expired.

pause

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:12 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:

Hidden: 

That would only help you with one switch.

malki2

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:17 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

Fill up 5 put into 3 stay with 2. Spill 3 put in 2. Fill up 5. Pour only 1 into 3 (that’s how much space there is) equals 4

That’s one of the 2 solutions.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:19 pm
malki2 wrote:

Btw I like that you don’t write the answer on the same post as the question because hidden content can be seen when you quote. When I write the answer I don’t want to see right away whether I was right. I’d rather first post then check.
So whoever posts a riddle either wait for someone to get it or write the answer on a separate post with hidden content. Please. Thank you.
Page 2 of 69   Previous  1  2  3   67  68  69  Next Recent Topics