Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing pleated uniform skirts and keeping the pleats
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:25 pm
I need your best advice.
I wash the skirts on cool, hang it shortly after to dry. But the pleats are gone in a washing or two.
Help!!!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:10 am
Is it a solid color by chance? I find the plaid are thicker fabric than the solid. The solid is a flimsy fabric that gets the pleats undone. I do iron them every time but the solid ones lose the pleats in a way that ironing doesn’t help.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:16 am
Polyester skirts hold the pleats better. Are yours a wool blend?

Goldie613

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:17 am
A lady who used to deal with uniform fittings years ago used to say to wash in cold water and hang to dry.

If you are desperate, I think some cleaners can press the skirts to get the pleats back in (no idea what it costs).

Have you tried asking the store where you bought it what they recommend?

Odelyah

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
Polyester skirts hold the pleats better. Are yours a wool blend?

I wonder if that's it because ours are solid navy polyester and the pleats last a very long time. Or maybe it's the brand? many years ago I bought some from Lands End and they were surprisingly horrible. the pleats came out right away. but all the different (poly) brands I've gotten from jewish sellers the last few years have been good. The man with the truck, BY styles, etc..

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:31 am
Odelyah wrote:
I wonder if that's it because ours are solid navy polyester and the pleats last a very long time. Or maybe it's the brand? many years ago I bought some from Lands End and they were surprisingly horrible. the pleats came out right away. but all the different (poly) brands I've gotten from jewish sellers the last few years have been good. The man with the truck, BY styles, etc..

My problem is with the navy polyester from a regular uniform store. And I do wash on cold and hang to dry! I guess there are various different fabrics.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:40 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
My problem is with the navy polyester from a regular uniform store. And I do wash on cold and hang to dry! I guess there are various different fabrics.

From Fraylich? I find they last pretty well. Not cheap though. I press them maybe twice a year.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
From Fraylich? I find they last pretty well. Not cheap though. I press them maybe twice a year.

No. But maybe next time I should shop there.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:42 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

hm could it be something unusual about your washing machine, or the type/length of cycle you are washing on? or maybe the detergent? or fabric softener?

Odelyah

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:44 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
No. But maybe next time I should shop there.

I assume they are much higher than the man with the truck's prices (Rosenbergs in boro park I think) and his skirts have been great--so no need to spend more in my experience.

abound

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:50 am
an israeli told me to roll the skirts and stick them in a nylon stocking and wash like that. Skirt gets cleaned and the pleats stay, but I did not try it yet........

salt

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:53 am
abound wrote:
an israeli told me to roll the skirts and stick them in a nylon stocking and wash like that. Skirt gets cleaned and the pleats stay, but I did not try it yet........

I do that. That's what my girls tell me to do.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:46 am
roll the skirt and stick it in a stocking. it works perrrrfectly!!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:11 am
abound wrote:

Wow sounds like a great idea. I bring it to the cleaners to press every few months or so. It’s comes out perfect. Obviously

womanwithaplan

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:14 pm
If you have the time, you can stick a large paper clip in at the bottom of each pleat (after each wash, take it off when skirt is dry). I did it last year and the pleats kept very well throughout the year.

Or, another genius idea I heard from someone: turn the skirt inside out and sew a seam down the very edge of each pleat. Not noticeable from the outside, takes a little time but you only have to do it once and it looks beautiful forever.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:19 pm
T pins in the bottom of each pleat when you hang to dry

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:22 pm
Baste the skirts before each washing they stay gorgeous for years

clowny

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:24 pm
I lay them flat to dry. Pleats are always kept nice n pleated.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
can you elaborate on this

nursemomma

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

How does it actually get cleaned if it’s so tightly rolled up?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry