Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Beginning kid - regular or kiddie machine?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:54 am
I want to teach DD9 how to sew. I do not sew, this would be a books and YouTube project. Should she start with a kids machine or a regular one? Both are available to us. The kid machine is like this https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8
The regular one is an old brother machine that I know nothing else about.

Success10

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:58 am
The kid's machines are not good machines and will probably be very frustrating to work with. I'd never spend money on a kid's machine. I don't even know if I'd work with it if I got it for free.

If you have the older brother machine available to you for free, start with that. Just make sure it's been serviced and is in working condition and tested by someone who sews. Otherwise you'll be setting her up for frustration.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 11:00 am
get a regular machine. kid machine is junky and frustrating to use. the brother or singer entry model non digital machine is cheap and easy to use. I have mine 6 years of heavy use.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 11:27 am
Does anyone have links to good, cheap starter machines? My 18 year old wants to learn. She would teach herself on youtube.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:14 am
Those kids machines are the biggest scam IMO. It could really turn a person off from wanting to sew. Don’t know about machines, haven’t bought one in years.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:35 am
Well I'm not being scammed because we were handed it and didn't pay a cent, but if it'll be frustrating rather than educational then I'll take the brother that is also being offered handed down. Thank you for the recommendation.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Does anyone have links to good, cheap starter machines? My 18 year old wants to learn. She would teach herself on youtube.

A bunch of years ago I got a nice Brother for about $100. It does all I need plus a bit. Search around you may find a good deal somewhere.

srbmom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 9:11 am
I got a brother machine for less than $100 at Walmart a few years ago. Works perfectly for what I need it for and my kids love learning on that

acemom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 10:37 am
I've been searching for a beginner sewing machine too.

It seems all electronics, from lawn mowers to freezers, are out of stock or have limited availability. The prices have also gone up.

Good luck!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:00 am
I'm in Israel - no walmart. And I know nothing about sewing machines. I

Is this considered good? singer machine

How about this? brother machine

I found something for a third of the price from Light in the Box (like AliExpress) but I can't seem to find it now.

ces

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:49 pm
Why did I never think of teaching myself basic alterations on a machine on YouTube?! Is it relatively easy?

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:09 pm
I have no idea; I just said that because youtube is basically my default for learning anything lately.

aliavi

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:23 pm
One of the best purchases I make is iron tape. I took sewing lessons too.

https://www.amazon.com/Singer-.....psc=1

unexpected

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:44 pm
I learned how to sew from YouTube and I’ve seen very complicated stuff- coats, boys suits- you name it. I bought my sewing machine for 30$ in a thrift store and when it broke (after I dropped it about 10 years later) I went back to the thrift store and bought another one for 30$

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:46 pm
I have that tape but it can only do so much... I also find that it doesn't hold up on clothes that you use often, like a hem on an everyday skirt

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:47 pm
unexpected wrote:
I learned how to sew from YouTube and I’ve seen very complicated stuff- coats, boys suits- you name it. I bought my sewing machine for 30$ in a thrift store and when it broke (after I dropped it about 10 years later) I went back to the thrift store and bought another one for 30$

Awesome! Any specific channel to recommend?

unexpected

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:35 pm
seeker wrote:
Awesome! Any specific channel to recommend?

Nope I just went on and searched what I wanted to do. It was a loooong time ago

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 10:50 pm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J.....86FQ5

I have this and love it. It was $100 when I bought it a few months ago, I see the price has gone up since.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 10:59 pm
I would take regular and supervision and careful instruction.

I don't really think the kiddie machines are less dangerous, but they really are less functional...

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 1:07 am
Having used both: only a regular machine. Kiddie machines are just less well made and less useful
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing