Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
NYC- dangerous intersection

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:45 am
I live near an intersection with a 4 way stop sign. All the drivers are so busy trying to get through before the other cars that they dont stop and look for pedestrians. Yesterday while crossing with my children I had a really really close call and I am very shaken up.

Is there anything that can be done? I would like to petition for more police enforcement at this corner or if not a stop light is necessary. Who do I reach out to? Police department, 311, congressman?

nchr

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:50 am
You reach out to whoever is responsible for maintaining the intersection. For example, the Thruway is maintained by NYS Dept of Transportation. You can look up who maintains roads online. Also, you should be able to maintain accident data on the intersection. If you really care and want to spend money there are other options but I won't jump ahead of myself.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:29 am
Reach out to your councilmember. I did the same. It could take up to a year but they will put in traffic lights.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live near an intersection with a 4 way stop sign. All the drivers are so busy trying to get through before the other cars that they dont stop and look for pedestrians. Yesterday while crossing with my children I had a really really close call and I am very shaken up.

Is there anything that can be done? I would like to petition for more police enforcement at this corner or if not a stop light is necessary. Who do I reach out to? Police department, 311, congressman?

OP, I hear your concern. As a driver, I know that I often make this mistake. It's not intentional, but as you said, I get so caught up looking for cars that I forget to check for pedestrians again before I go.

I think that traffic lights are usually the best response, which you can get as per ra_mom's suggestion. It's not about enforcement, necessarily, if it's an error as opposed to willful disregard.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
OP, I hear your concern. As a driver, I know that I often make this mistake. It's not intentional, but as you said, I get so caught up looking for cars that I forget to check for pedestrians again before I go.

I think that traffic lights are usually the best response, which you can get as per ra_mom's suggestion. It's not about enforcement, necessarily, if it's an error as opposed to willful disregard.

Its not an error. They are trying to get ahead of the other cars which have right of way. The driver laughed at me when I looked at her horrified that she nearly ran over my 5 year old.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 9:43 am
I grew up in on a street like that and there was at least one accident every day. The city at the time said that until 10 people were killed they were not going to put in traffic lights. The year I got married , they finally installed traffic lights after they received many petitions. (20 yrs ago) I think nowadays they are quicker to install traffic lights . But who knows, with Deblasio as mayor , I wouldn’t keep my hopes up too much.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its not an error. They are trying to get ahead of the other cars which have right of way. The driver laughed at me when I looked at her horrified that she nearly ran over my 5 year old.

In that case, petition for cops there.

nchr

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you know who owns/maintains the road?
You can write a letter to them, and/or to their engineer.
It's really simple.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries