Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How short should I cut my hair for better comfort w sheitel

ihyphenated

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 10:43 am
So I'm trying to wear sheitels more (have almost exclusively worn tichels for 12 years of marriage) and I like how sheitels look and my husband does too... but they bother me so much!! I cut my hair about earlobe short thinking it would help w sheitels being more comfortable. I can make a tiny pony in the back middle of my head but the sheitel still bothers me (after longer than before though). is there a better length? is there a too short length for comfy sheitel wearing? if I cant pull it back at all how do I keep it from poking out of the sheitel? should I just go for boy short hair all over? I feel like the bits by my ears and hairline would look funny! I dont pull hair out in front but my sheitels always slide a little over the course of the day. help!!!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 1:07 pm
Which part of the wig is bothering you? Have you tried not using the clips, and using a wig grip instead?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:50 pm
I keep my hair just long enough for a low pony right above my neck. This keeps the hair from sticking out all over and a small enough bump to anchor the sheitel at the bottom without showing.

jflower

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:00 pm
I'm wondering if the wig net fits you well. It shouldn't be sliding to the side. Can you show it to a sheitelmacher to get advice on what to do?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:31 pm
Wear a wig cap.

Refine

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:08 pm
I think it depends on the texture of your hair.
I personally use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Goody-B.....=8-30 to keep my hair clipped in a flat half a pony. I cut my hair at about where my sheitel cap ends.
I found that it's much more comfortable to comb my hair and clip it down. Otherwise I find that it gets itchy when my hair shifts.

ihyphenated

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:57 am
ok so ive tried a bunch of these suggestions- can someone troubleshoot?
-already not using clips or combs (probably why its sliding tbh)
-tried magic cap (the velour inside of the milano pony) and it didnt help w either comfort or sliding
-tried wig grip, too tight and made it more uncomfortable and also didnt stop the sliding
-im reaaaly out of town (suburban southeastern MA) so closest sheitel lady is more than an hour away.
-I think sometimes even though im not using the clips they dig into my head anyway- should I try taking them off the sheitel?
-im not halakhically/ideologically opposed to having a tiny bit of hair show unavoidably if that makes a difference but I dont think I would pull out a lot on purpose.
Sheitel brands and how I've done w them:
Shevy- I got a shevy for my wedding and it was way too heavy and thick. never comfortable, slid alot (and was fitted to my head at the shevy salon!). I ended up selling it after not wearing it for 3 years.
Milano pony- honestly much better than the shevy wrt comfort but slid alot. this had a wigrip velour cap and no clips originally but slid so much that I did end up asking a sheitel macher to sew a comb and clips in so I could get it to stay on for an hour for interviews and weddings etc.
Malky brand- 14in, shorter, lighter, so far not heavy or hot but still the clips (which I dont use) dig in and I get a migraine after more than 3 hrs consecutive wearing it.
Does someone have a miracle brand? I hate headbands so no wonderwig!

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:15 am
long enough so you can make a shortest possible ponytail -- so you can catch it all in a ponytail
wigrip helps don't use the combs
hatzlocha

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:36 am
Of course your sheitel won’t stay on your head without a single thing keeping it there. You need to use a clip or a band. Just putting it on and expecting it to stay there will not work. My personal preference is one clip a few inches back from hairline. You can probably move the clip yourself if you can sew.
If you’re not using the side clips or combs, definitely remove them, you can just cut the threads they’re sewed in with. Careful not to cut the cap.
Your hair needs to be long enough for the wig clip to grip onto and to be gathered underneath neatly. Long enough for a small pony that you can then tuck under and up is perfect. If it’s too short for a pony you will never be able to keep it neatly under the wig.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels