Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What happens when you file a complaint with DOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 1:51 pm
What happens to the employer if an employee files a complaint with the DOL (whether about fair pay, legal sick days, place to pump, FMLA, disability, discrimination....)?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:15 pm
Bump

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What happens to the employer if an employee files a complaint with the DOL (whether about fair pay, legal sick days, place to pump, FMLA, disability, discrimination....)?

Nothing! Next question?

Did you try talking about this with your boss? Did anything happen? Are you taking lots of documentation and evidence about the problem that’s going unresolved?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:20 pm
If it's a big company, nothing happens to the employer.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:25 pm
The long answer is that it depends on what kind of complaint you're filing, whether you're filing with a state or federal DOL, whether you're filing solo or with a group, do you have the assistance of a lawyer...

but unfortunately the short answer is "probably nothing." The federal DOL is woefully underfunded and understaffed and doesn't have the capacity to investigate much of anything. State DOLs aren't much better.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:37 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Nothing! Next question?

Did you try talking about this with your boss? Did anything happen? Are you taking lots of documentation and evidence about the problem that’s going unresolved?

So is there a point in filing?
I did try speaking but no documentation. It was all in person no emails. I can definitely send an email. Honestly I'd rather they fix the problem.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So is there a point in filing?
I did try speaking but no documentation. It was all in person no emails. I can definitely send an email. Honestly I'd rather they fix the problem.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. WRITE IT ALL IN EMAILS. NEVER DO ANYTHING IN PERSON WITHOUT FIRST OUTLINING THE DISCUSSION IN EMAIL. I can't stress this enough. Otherwise, it never happened. Use legal language as much as you can in your email. When you finish your meeting, write up notes and email it to your boss to clarify that this is what was decided in the meeting.

He'll know what you're doing and why, and he will act much differently when he knows you're taking notes and making sure to document what he's saying.

Bluepink

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:16 pm
I did file a complaint with my state of New Jersey’s Department of labour because my employer refused to pay me for two sick days. I had sick time available but I already had given notice I was going to leave. it is a big company so nothing happened to them personally. They got summoned to small claims court as did I. They didn’t show up but I did so I automatically won and they sent me a check per the judge’s orders. The best part is that they paid me out all my accumulated sick time, not just the two days I had disputed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics