Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Cooking sheep/fish heads

Goldie613

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:18 pm
So...I'm drawing a blank on the details, even though I know I did the sheep one last year...

How do I cook a sheep head? Vague recollection I put it in the oven with a bit of water and covered the pan, but I don't recall the details.

Also - re fish heads - I've never dealt with raw ones before. What's the simplest way to cook them?

Thanks everyone - we usually just do jelly fish for heads or buy already cooked fish, but some of my crew wants to branch out the last couple of years, sooo....

Thanks!

silverlining3

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:37 pm
I cook fish head along with the rest of my fish. I cook gefilta for an hour and then add baby salmon for 30-35 min.

This year I bought a salmon fish head so I put it in for a half hour, together with the rest salmon.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:40 pm
Lamb's head - wash, pay dry, rub with olive oil, fresh minced garlic and course salt. Roast uncovered until the little pieces of meat are fork tender.

Salmon head - fill pot partway up with water, add slices of onion and a halved garlic clove. Season the water with sugar and salt like you would for gefilte fish. Add fish head and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 5:02 pm
Bake the fish head in a disposable pan. Cooking it on the stovetop makes for a nasty pot to wash afterward.

MommyM

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:05 pm
I bake the salmon fish head in a disposable pan like I bake regular salmon. I add some water and salt and stick it in.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:44 pm
For those of you suggesting baking the fish heads - covered? Uncovered? Temperature and for how long?

For those making suggestions for the sheep head - temperature and for how long?

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 6:54 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
For those of you suggesting baking the fish heads - covered? Uncovered? Temperature and for how long?

Thanks!

400. About 45 minutes.

MommyM

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:46 pm
Goldie613 wrote:

Thanks!

For the fish, I put it on 400. I'm not particular with baking it covered or uncovered. If it's covered, I bake it for an hour. Uncovered, 45 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur