Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Beginning kid - regular or kiddie machine?
Previous  1  2

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:14 am
ces wrote:
Why did I never think of teaching myself basic alterations on a machine on YouTube?! Is it relatively easy?

Maybe I'm just terrible at it... But I've watched a whole bunch of youtube sewing videos and I can't figure anything out. Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:19 am
I agree with all the above.

Get a proper machine that can be serviced as needed. You may decide that you want to sew something yourself some day, and YOU will not be happy using the kiddie machine. A real machine is a much better investment - not to mention less plastic in the landfill.

For iron tape, it really depends on the fabric. Stretchy fabric won't wear well. Thick fabric like wool is tricky, because you really have to get the heat in there to make it stick. Once it does stick though, it will hold quite strongly.

When you first use the tape on a fabric you haven't worked with before, try a tiny test strip in an area that won't be noticeable. You want to make sure that the tape won't show through or pucker the fabric.

Check with your dry cleaners about iron tape. It's been a few years since I've used it, and I don't recall if the tape will stand up to dry cleaning or not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing