Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
May I ask my cleaning lady to turn on my oven on Sunday-RH

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:59 am
To warm up food or do I need to leave it on since Friday night?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:13 am
I don't believe a non-Jew is permitted to turn on the oven for you (I.e. turn on a flame). It had to be a Jew.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:24 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I don't believe a non-Jew is permitted to turn on the oven for you (I.e. turn on a flame). It had to be a Jew.

Um. This is a rabbi question. The reference to a non jew is if a Jew won’t have anything else to do with the cooking. But whether you can get it turned on on yom Tov I think is a whole different ball park of question.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:41 am
No
I don’t believe she can turn on oven for you. And if you cook food in oven that she just turn on you will have a bishul yisroel question. Can you cook meat or chicken or fancy dishes in an oven turned on by a non Jew?

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:45 am
We’ve done it to warm up food on YT after she accidentally turned it off. Warming up is not considered cooking as you can’t cook something that’s already been cooked (basic hilchos shabbos).

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:47 am
We were told that we're not allowed to ask a cleaning lady to do melacha on yom tov. It's amira l'akum. We tell her what to do before yom tov.
That's besides the point of bishel akim.
It's best that you ask your own rav.

ChanieMommy

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:52 am
There might be a problem with bishul akum.
But I suppose if the food is already cooked, there is no problem with bishul akum for just warming up.

I agree with Andrea: that's a shaile for a rav...

bunchagirlies

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 6:55 am
There is a big misconception with asking non jews to do melacha on Shabbos and Yom Tov. You may only ask them to do things you may do yourself, and they can choose to do it however they want. I.e. you can ask them to wash dishes, and they can then use a regular sponge and hot water (Shabbos).
There are times you can ask them to do things like turn on a/c or close a light, but only in extenuating circumstances. Like if there's a newborn that will catch a cold, or a choleh that needs the light on or off for medical reasons. Having them close a light in a fridge is also permitted so you can get to food. But these halachos are very complex, and unfortunately often mistaken.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:41 am
bunchagirlies wrote:
There is a big misconception with asking non jews to do melacha on Shabbos and Yom Tov. You may only ask them to do things you may do yourself, and they can choose to do it however they want. I.e. you can ask them to wash dishes, and they can then use a regular sponge and hot water (Shabbos).
There are times you can ask them to do things like turn on a/c or close a light, but only in extenuating circumstances. Like if there's a newborn that will catch a cold, or a choleh that needs the light on or off for medical reasons. Having them close a light in a fridge is also permitted so you can get to food. But these halachos are very complex, and unfortunately often mistaken.

AIUI, they can also do things for themselves, even if you benefit. Eg, if the house if chilly, they can turn up the thermostat for their own comfort, and you can benefit. Or turn on the oven to heat up their own lunch, and you can use it as well.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:48 am
bunchagirlies wrote:

Yes, this is pretty much what my DH would say and what my Rav says, though I agree, you can ask a sheilah.

I remember the year my DD was born right before Pesach, my Rav said there were some more leniencies (but not many) of what my housekeeper could do for me on Y"T. And right after birth, I could even have a nurse turn on hot water for me on Shabbos for a shower (in the hospital). But usually not.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:05 am
In short: no.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:35 am
Actually, I was told by my Rav that if the oven accidentally gets turned off on Yom Tov, we can hint to a non-Jew to turn it back on.

The point of bishul akum is that both things should occur: They turn on the oven, and they put the food in to cook. If you do either one of those things, it is not considered bishul akum. In fact, once my cleaning lady turned on the fire AND put a pot on the boil water, and I caught her right then. I called and asked if my pot now needed to be kashered, and I was told that for just boiling water, the answer was no.

But what you're asking isn't a mistake, or something you need to rectify. You're relying on someone to do a melacha for you. Which, my Rav says the answer is no. But here's the thing:
Are you worried for a particular reason about the oven? Like, you're scared it will blow up the house because you won't be home all shabbos? And you have valid reason for this fear, not just an anxiety of yours? Or for saving gas money, or convenience? If the first, you can ask a shaylah.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 1:01 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Yes, this is pretty much what my DH would say and what my Rav says, though I agree, you can ask a sheilah.

I remember the year my DD was born right before Pesach, my Rav said there were some more leniencies (but not many) of what my housekeeper could do for me on Y"T. And right after birth, I could even have a nurse turn on hot water for me on Shabbos for a shower (in the hospital). But usually not.

After birth there are many lenencies because a women is considered a choleh

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
After birth there are many lenencies because a women is considered a choleh

Right. I gave birth on shabbos and yom tov and was told I can do melacha. (Take a shower, call the nurse via bell, change positions of the bed...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions