Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
No school today??
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
This is my least favorite excuse ever. I am at work until 3 and I am by far not the only one. Somehow we all figure it out sorry. This super gets on my nerves.

I agree and I'm a teacher.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:09 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The "Jewish calendar" doesn't say that the day before a chag is also a chag, so that people should have the day off.

Its a perk, plain and simple. And one that causes working parents endless issues, and that has created a cottage industry of sitters and camps for kids who are off.

I think it does say one should not work after chatzot. Its not a "Jewish" calendar its the Jewish calendar. Out lives revolve around chagim and our spiritual calendar. Our involvement in the secular world and secular calendar is just an unfortunate reality.

Parents have to work. Ok. Some are bound to a secular calendar. Yes.

My children's teacher's pour themselves into the kids and preparing them for chagim. I can fargen them this "perk".

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:26 pm
There are years I don't take days for vacation at all, because it has all been used for religious holidays. That's just for YT, I simply didn't have any more days for erev or chol hamoed. As it is, in those years, I end up taking unpaid leave to cover all the days of YT.
I think the people who don't get it are those that have only worked for frum workplaces and don't really have a clue as to the reality of many who do not.

Reminds me of a clueless preachy chinuch column by a person living in Israel who said it is a father's obligation to take a nap Friday afternoon so he is wide awake at the seudah. When he got feedback as to the difficulties involved depending on jobs, he doubled down. He had NO clue as to what it is like in many American workplaces where it's a big deal just take off for candlelighting time on early winter Fridays.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
There are years I don't take days for vacation at all, because it has all been used for religious holidays. That's just for YT, I simply didn't have any more days for erev or chol hamoed. As it is, in those years, I end up taking unpaid leave to cover all the days of YT.
I think the people who don't get it are those that have only worked for frum workplaces and don't really have a clue as to the reality of many who do not.

Reminds me of a clueless preachy chinuch column by a person living in Israel who said it is a father's obligation to take a nap Friday afternoon so he is wide awake at the seudah. When he got feedback as to the difficulties involved depending on jobs, he doubled down. He had NO clue as to what it is like in many American workplaces where it's a big deal just take off for candlelighting time on early winter Fridays.

The reality could be a great subject for a spinoff. After yom tov of course Wink

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

Maybe he thought they should take their nap at work ...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 5:52 pm
Be thankful that's all your kids had off.

We're back with no school here in Israel Sad

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:05 am
imorethanamother wrote:
YES! WHY IS THERE NO SCHOOL BETWEEN YOM KIPPUR AND SUCCOS!!!! This gets me every year. Some of us have jobs.

Most schools do have school between yom kippur and succos!! At least 2 days!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:42 am
It depends on how it falls out.
If yom kippur is shabbos, Sukkos is Weds night. There probably is only school Monday.
If yk is Monday like this year, 2 days work well since Sukkos starts shabbos.
If yk is Weds, it gets tricky. If your school population travels a lot like in out of town communities, they can't travel easily erev yt on Sunday, or erev shabbos, so Thursday is the only travel day for those with 8-10 hour drives.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:03 pm
For the teachers

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How come all my kids have off today????
Why is this different then every erev shabbos?????
Why can't they have a short day like every week. Preparations- cooking and cleaning is the same like for a regular shabbos. Just 2 more seudas

Oy vey how dare the schools make you have to deal with your own kids

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:19 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Oy vey how dare the schools make you have to deal with your own kids

What part of there are women that must work for a living do you not understand?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics