Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Winter clothing for kids on Rosh Hashana?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:21 am
We usually wear summer but it got a little cool.
I don’t want my 7th grade daughter to feel uncomfortable in a white dress in shul if people will be wearing winter clothing.
Yes, we are going to shul and having regular davening.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:24 am
I wouldn't do white after labor day anyway. Unless it's warm material and clearly not meant for summer. Major fashion faux pas.

Genius

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:27 am
You can’t go wrong with the winter option.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:27 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I wouldn't do white after labor day anyway. Unless it's warm material and clearly not meant for summer. Major fashion faux pas.

Is that still adhered to nowadays, in circles other than upper-class?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Is that still adhered to nowadays, in circles other than upper-class?

Very summery white clothes or shoes? Yes.
You can get in between seasonal clothing, then white is ok. But op sounds like she is talking about a very summery outfit.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:35 am
Always have winter and summer clothes in the closet for Rh and go by the weather

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:40 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

Some people have a minhag to wear white on RH and on YK (or just on YK). I think we would all agree that there are many clothing related minhagim that would be a "fashion faux pas". And not everyone cares about being in-line with the fashion police.

Unless you are being sarcastic and I missed it.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:43 am
IMNSHO white, summery outfits are put away after Labor Day (or left out to wear on Yom Kippur).

In NY, we're expecting temperatures in the low to mid 60s, with nighttime lows in the 40s. We're davening outside, so I would absolutely put the kabosh on summery outfits. I'm pulling out tights, just in case!

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:49 am
watergirl wrote:
Some people have a minhag to wear white on RH and on YK (or just on YK). I think we would all agree that there are many clothing related minhagim that would be a "fashion faux pas". And not everyone cares about being in-line with the fashion police.

Unless you are being sarcastic and I missed it.

No, I wasn't. Op wanted to know if her daughter would feel like she fits in fashion wise. If she shows up in cool end of September weather wearing a summery lightweight outfit, she will not.
For those that don't care, they wouldn't even be asking. I don't go around policing fashion and I could care less how people dress. But I understand the need for a 12 year old to feel confident and comfortable with their shul clothes.
No need to jump on me with a knee jerk put down of my intentions to be helpful.

Malkqueen

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:56 am
Is it a dress that would lend itself to wearing a cardigan over it?
The weather can swing from cool to hot these days. A white dress with a cardigan over it may be a happy medium.
OTOH, if you live in an area where "everyone" will be sporting their new winter clothing on YT, regardless of the weather, she may feel more comfortable with something new.

behappy2

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:02 am
I'm doing summer outfit as long as my daughter doesn't complain she is cold. If you have all year round outfit that could work.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:49 am
White is so in for winter now according to what I'm seeing
but not white cotton
velvets are usually saved for simchas torah
or maybe that just happens in my neck of the woods

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:55 am
We save new Shabbos clothing and shoes for succos bec it’s shalosh regalim.
We try to wear heavier summer, last year winter or a sweater over outfit.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:00 am
You’re allowed to wear white after Labor Day nowadays. https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....3famp

I certainly wouldn’t wear winter clothes this is classic early fall weather.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:29 pm
My daughter just came out of the shower and put on the velour robe we had bought for sukkos. I'm not saying anything. She wants to wear a short sleeve summer outfit to shul tomorrow, and her new winter outfit is still at the dressmaker but if it's too chilly I'll ask her to put on something from last year that's more all year round. It's hard to know what to wear this time of year, and day and night can be two very different weathers as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur