Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
New Winter Robe and Shehechiyanu

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:43 am
Is there a preference of when to don a new garment RH - first night or second night? I mean, we say shehechiyanu both nights, and we do have fruits for second night.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:45 am
The fruit for the second night is to be able to say the Shehecheyanu, since Rosh Hashanah is considered a yoma d'arichta, one long day, and there is a safeik about whether or not we'd say Shehecheyanu.

Once you're doing the new fruit there's really no difference in when you wear the new robe, afaik.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:55 am
Most people use a new fruit for the second night, but that's just the minhag that got lucky. It is equally acceptable to wear a new garment --there's no preference. But since most people want to wear something new the first day when everyone else will be showing off their new clothes, they have the fruit the second day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:56 am
zaq wrote:
Most people use a new fruit for the second night, but that's just the minhag that got lucky. It is equally acceptable to wear a new garment --there's no preference. But since most people want to wear something new the first day when everyone else will be showing off their new clothes, they have the fruit the second day.

It's a robe and we have no guests so there's no element of showing off. I wanted to know for the sake of the shehechiyanu if there's a difference.

yidishmamma

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's a robe and we have no guests so there's no element of showing off. I wanted to know for the sake of the shehechiyanu if there's a difference.

I usually wear the robe for second nite in addition to the fruit.
So to answer your question yes for 2nd night

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I understood that, I'm just telling you that's why most people who have both new clothes and a new fruit wear the clothes first and use the fruit for shehecheyanu. If all you have is a new garment OR a new fruit, you use it the second night for shehecheyanu. fruit or garment makes no difference.

There's nothing magical about the clothes or the fruit. the reason we do this at all is that there is a machloket in Chazal as to whether RH is halachickly two days or one long day--yoma arichta. if it's one day, you would not say shehecheyanu on the second night. If it's two days, you would. So, to avoid the possibility of making a shehecheyanu levatalah in case it's one day, Chazal came up with this clever device of, on the second night, wearing new clothes or eating a new fruit. you say shehecheyanu on the new thing and, presto, you're covered. you didn't omit the blessing if it's two days, you didn't say a bracha levatalah if it's one day.

Technically you would serve the halachic purpose by doing something else that requires shehecheyanu, like using a new set of dishes. Few people would want to do that every year, though.

acemom

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The first night the shechiyunu is for the Yom Tov.
RH is considered one long day so the second night when we say the Shechiyunu we try to have something "new".
For some, it's a new fruit, others a new garment. My husband puts on a brand new Talis Katan before Kiddush.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur