Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Doing laundry daily
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:11 pm
I grew up in a small family so I remember my mother doing laundry once a week and that was it. Probably one load. I have 5 kids and I feel like the only way to survive is to throw in a load a day. Is that normal? Can any families of 7 mom chime in? I always worry that I am overusing my machines and they will go faster - am I wrong on that account?

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:13 pm
I do about 8-10 loads a day, 7 kids, 2 adults. If I don’t then I literally have no place for the piles of dirty laundry. Motzaei Shabbos I throw in 3-4 loads, depending on the Zman. Some loads are separate delicate stuff that goes alone with no other clothing....towels get washed daily...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:15 pm
SingALong wrote:
I do about 8-10 loads a day, 7 kids, 2 adults. If I don’t then I literally have no place for the piles of dirty laundry. Motzaei Shabbos I throw in 3-4 loads, depending on the Zman. Some loads are separate delicate stuff that goes alone with no other clothing....towels get washed daily...

Thank you for this - you already calmed me down!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:16 pm
Because I didn't grow up seeing my mom doing laundry all the time I feel like I am doing something wrong. I guess a family of my size it is normal to have like 1 load a day...

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:18 pm
I’m one of five but my mother did laundry once a week or so. I have five myself and do a load a day, except towels, delicates, and whites. I find it helps keep up with the laundry (quicker to fold and put away) and I can get away with fewer clothes for everyone.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:20 pm
Family of 3, 2 adults plus one school girl (no uniform).
Do about 5 or 6 loads weekly. Sometimes it's 1 a day, sometimes it's twice a week 2/3 loads.
1 towels
1 white (hubby's daily polos undershirts and usually a tzitzis or two
1 dark (socks, underwear included)
1 daughters clothes
The 5th or 6th can be either hubby's pants, either delicates, either linen, sometimes load of rags...always something. Sometimes daughter needs two loads a week, depending on if she wore dif pairs of pjs every day and if she needed to change her Shabbos outfit 3 times that week or not.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Family of 3, 2 adults plus one school girl (no uniform).
Do about 5 or 6 loads weekly. Sometimes it's 1 a day, sometimes it's twice a week 2/3 loads.
1 towels
1 white (hubby's daily polos undershirts and usually a tzitzis or two
1 dark (socks, underwear included)
1 daughters clothes
The 5th or 6th can be either hubby's pants, either delicates, either linen, sometimes load of rags...always something. Sometimes daughter needs two loads a week, depending on if she wore dif pairs of pjs every day and if she needed to change her Shabbos outfit 3 times that week or not.

K thank you - I see even less than me has like 1 a day - thank you so much!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:26 pm
I can't keep up if I don't do laundry every day. Even with that, there's usually 2x a week that I'm doing load after load to catch up.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:48 pm
I did one load a day, but then started feeling like I'm always doing laundry. I started doing three or four loads twice a week and I feel like I have a break in between. The only downside is that I need to find place to hang to dry the stuff that doesn't go in the dryer.
I know someone who has bli ayin hara a very large family and she has two washer and dryers.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:51 pm
I have 3 kids k'h and I do laundry about 3 times a week. 3 or 4 loads each time.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 9:05 pm
We're a family of 5, so 3 kids. All told we do 6 loads a week, so not every night but pretty close.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 9:07 pm
SingALong wrote:

Wow that’s a lot in a day!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I grew up in a small family so I remember my mother doing laundry once a week and that was it. Probably one load. I have 5 kids and I feel like the only way to survive is to throw in a load a day. Is that normal? Can any families of 7 mom chime in? I always worry that I am overusing my machines and they will go faster - am I wrong on that account?

Just one load a day for a family your size? What’s your secret? I had only four kids and did more loads than that! Maybe you have a larger capacity machine. Now as empty nesters our loads are small but so is our machine—even smaller than our old one was— so I do roughly four loads a week: bed linens; towels: colored clothing (mine) and darks (also mine.) When I have a very small load I steal some of dh laundry to make up a “real” load. Otherwise dh does his own and waits till he has a whole lot to do, then does it all at once.

I heard that you should give your machine time to cool down between loads to extend the life of the motor, so try not to do multiple loads back to back with no recess in between. Wait half an hour to an hour between loads.

Somehow I doubt that your mom got away with doing one load a week unless she had a huge capacity washer, didn’t sort colors and fabrics, and hardly ever changed your linens. Maybe she just did multiple loads all in one day and you didn’t realize . Even if you were an only child, sheets, pillowcases and bath towels for three people is at least two loads , and that’s not counting clothing and kitchen towels.

abaker

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:28 pm
Family of 5 I throw in a load daily, sometimes 2. I don't separate stuff either.. just when it's a full load I start up the machine. I couldn't do once a week I would be stuck under a mountain of clothes.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:35 pm
I have two big kids. When I’m organized and managing the house as I should be, I do 4 loads of clothing twice a week (whites, light colors, dark colors, dark colors delicate), so 8 loads of just clothing. My husband does the linen once a week so that’s three loads (we wash our linen separately because they’re larger size, and then both kids’ linen together). Towels are about 2 loads a week (more in the summer). So I guess we do around 13 loads a week, but if I’m organized about it I can be busy with laundry just two days a week. I grew up in a family of 7 kids and I think my mother only did laundry once a week. Not sure how as I only recall having one hamper.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We are a family of 6. I try to do one load a day, and I try to ALSO do whites on Wednesday, towels on Thursday, and sheets on Friday. It doesn’t always happen but I try.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:57 pm
Tysm to all replies. Also feeling frustrated with 2 bedwetters and the crazy laundry from that. Tried everything. Does it ever end. Older is already 11.

lucky14

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 11:19 pm
Just another response to reassure you - we have two kids and I do 1-2 loads a day.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 11:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tysm to all replies. Also feeling frustrated with 2 bedwetters and the crazy laundry from that. Tried everything. Does it ever end. Older is already 11.

I start my day with doing laundry, before I get dressed so that it's ready to put in the dryer before I start working! It's also the last thing I do before bed!
Sorry about the bedwetting I know all about it! I gave my daughter some desmopressin, it's a medicine that help kids stay dry at night. Some drs are against it but I still can't figure out why! It was a lifesaver for my sanity and my kid's! It's not fun for a big kid to make in their bed, it's not inly laundry it's also their self esteem!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:05 am
Please do not leave machines running when you are not home.
I once had a fire in my washing machine. Sounds crazy, I know. The machine was full of water.
The fire was in the wiring. Three friends had fires in their dryers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics