Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you are in early pregnancy are you being more careful?
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:38 pm
Everyone we know who was expecting at the beginning of all this delivered healthy babies on time B"H. Op do what your doctor advises.

B'shaah Tovah!

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:55 pm
I got pregnant mid-April and live in NY where we assumed we both had had it already. (We were exposed over Purim and didn't feel well for one day about a week later.) I'm in my 6th month now and didn't do and still not doing any restrictions. BH so far so good.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 5:07 pm
I'm following the regular restrictions. I'm 10.5 weeks now. I had the virus before pesach so maybe that's why I'm more relaxed about it all. I know I can get it again...unlikely though.
My sil was in her 5/6th month and had it really badly. Was in hospital for a day but bh she didn't need oxygen. Took a while for her to get over it but bh she now has a couple month old healthy beautiful baby knH. Born at term. My sil isn't young either so iyH all will be fine with us all.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 11:30 pm
BH just gave birth to a healthy baby - was in early pregnancy Purim time and was in a hot spot area. I never officially tested positive but I do have antibodies- BH baby born healthy! I was not worried at all and all the doctors were not worried at all!

Please don’t be extra anxious- that can cause more harm

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 11:38 pm
I'm worried! There was a piece in the NYT this weekend saying that women with covid were having trouble with pregnancies. Early, clots, etc.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:17 am
Actually the biggest concern and cause of problems were lack of prenatal care.
People were afraid of going to doctors and hospitals, and that is what caused the most problems.
Stillborns were up 50%!
Only because moms were not going to the hospital.

Please, you don’t have to take more precautions, just keep going to your appointments and don’t hesitate to go check yourself out.
I know it’s uncomfortable going in without support, but that is really how you can do everything that that is in your hands.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:36 am
I was reading something else entirely, and stumbled across this article:

Over half of coronavirus-infected pregnant women showed no symptoms
By Kayla Rivas, Fox NewsSeptember 18, 2020 | 2:01pm

While data is limited around birth outcomes and COVID-19, two new federal reports found that more than half of pregnant women infected with the virus were asymptomatic, or showed no symptoms.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Wednesday published an early release for two reports relating to pregnancy and COVID-19.

One report found that among 598 hospitalized pregnant women with COVID-19, 55 percent were asymptomatic at admission.

“Testing policies based on the presence of symptoms might miss many SARS-CoV-2 infections during pregnancy,” said the CDC report.

In the same study, around 16 percent of 272 pregnant women who showed symptoms for the virus needed intensive care, while nearly 9 percent underwent invasive mechanical ventilation and two women died.

None of these outcomes occurred among asymptomatic pregnant women, the CDC reported.

The most commonly reported symptoms were fever or chills and cough.

Both symptomatic and asymptomatic women experienced pregnancy losses, which accounted for around 2 percent of pregnancies.

It was also noted that preterm births among symptomatic women were approximately three times more frequent than among asymptomatic cases; 23 percent vs, 8 percent, respectively.

A second CDC report published Wednesday found an even higher rate of asymptomatic cases among pregnant women admitted for obstetric reasons at 81 percent or 50 of 62 women. Approximately 30 percent of pregnant women hospitalized for COVID-19 needed intensive care, 14 percent required mechanical ventilation and one woman died from the virus, according to the agency’s report.

Prepregnancy obesity and gestational diabetes were also found in higher prevalence among expectant women hospitalized for COVID-19 illness compared to those admitted for obstretic reasons, like delivery.

Preterm delivery prevalence (15.1 percent overall and 12.2 percent among live births) was noted to be “nearly 70 percent higher than baseline rates in VSD during the study period,” and stillbirth prevalence (3.2 percent) was “more than four times higher among women with SARS-CoV-2 than the baseline rate in VSD during the study period (0.6 percent).” VSD refers to data from the Vaccine Safety Datalink surveillance system conducted between March and May 30.

The CDC advised pregnant women to avoid close contact with infected individuals and maintain six feet apart from non-household members, in addition to following general COVID-19 preventative measures like wearing masks and practicing hand hygiene. The agency also advised testing babies born to COVID-19 patients and isolating these moms and their newborns apart from other hospitalized mothers and newborns.

ggdm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:18 pm
Fever in pregnancy is always bad, especially in the first trimester. Serious illness in pregnancy is also not a good timing. At best, you are limited in the treatment options (there is so much medication you shouldn't take when pregnant!). Or worse...

It is too early for real numbers and risk assessments for Covid. And I am no doctor. But just as I avoid alcohol and raw eggs and whatnot because of the tiny chance of harm to the child, I have been avoiding groups of people. Better safe than sorry.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:22 pm
I'm in late pregnancy and I'm trying to take the precautions that really *everybody* should be taking but aren't! I.e. yes I do go to the grocery store, my husband goes to shul and kollel but we always wear masks, we davened with an outdoor minyan on RH because that was the safest option
it's not healthy for my mental health to sequester myself in my apartment for the next two months but neither am I going to be flippant and ignore the risks. No I don't have to go to that wedding or hang out in other people's houses or go shopping without a mask, but I don't have to go hide in a cave either. Middle ground, people!!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
You’re leaving out the part that your baby was born 5 weeks early.

OP, be very careful. There have been many 2nd trimester losses due to placental damage, and early babies due to the placenta stopping to grow.

I highly doubt there's a correlation. At 10 weeks the placenta isn't even fully formed yet AFAIK
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics