Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Is it true if nap on R'H you'll have a sleepy year?
Previous  1  2

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 1:42 pm
I've never heard that it causes a sleepy year, rather the inappropriateness of sleeping when you are standing in judgement.

I had this conversation a few years ago with one woman whom I highly respect. She and her husband daven vatikin, and they hold that the primary avodah of the day is davening. If, by not sleeping, you are damaging your ability to daven as well as you can, the gain is cancelled out by the loss.

I don't lie down to have a nap on Rosh HaShana, but if I often lie down to read. If I drift off, I don't worry about it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 4:15 pm
I always nap on Rosh Hashanah, and always have sleepy years, so maybe there is something to it.

I also have little kids and a full time job though.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:33 am
Watching 2 little kids from 6am to 430pm on my own is not easy for me.....I put them to sleep for a nap and made sure to rest then too. Both days. before chatzos. 🤫

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:39 am
I was all alone this year. No DH, no kids. Just me and the dog. I was severely depressed, so I figured it was best for me to sleep as much as possible.

It was unbelievably hot outside, so there was no way I was going to make it to an outdoor minyan. Opening my front door felt like opening an oven. My body just went "NOPE!" I'm also highly prone to heat stroke due to the medication I'm on, so I was literally trapped in my house.

I hate that I slept through RH, but it was incredibly hard on me. So sad, so miserable, so lonely. Crying

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I was all alone this year. No DH, no kids. Just me and the dog. I was severely depressed, so I figured it was best for me to sleep as much as possible.

It was unbelievably hot outside, so there was no way I was going to make it to an outdoor minyan. Opening my front door felt like opening an oven. My body just went "NOPE!" I'm also highly prone to heat stroke due to the medication I'm on, so I was literally trapped in my house.

I hate that I slept through RH, but it was incredibly hard on me. So sad, so miserable, so lonely. Crying

Can’t imagine you miserable and sad. I’m so sorry about that Hug Hug Hug Hug
What happened to your cats?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:48 am
I think if you get a chance to take a nap on RH, it means hopefully you'll get a chance to take many naps this year!
I took a nap the first night before the meal, so I can start my holiday being rested. Hope it means that I start my year off being rested as well!

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:50 am
I still don’t understand what a “sleepy year” means. It doesn’t sound negative to me. Sounds calm, quiet and peaceful. Everything this year wasn’t.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:53 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Can’t imagine you miserable and sad. I’m so sorry about that Hug Hug Hug Hug
What happened to your cats?

The cats are around. They only love me when the food or water dish is empty.

I saw a get well card once that pretty much summed it up. On the front was a cartoon of someone laying on the sofa, with a cat next to them. It said "Cats know when you don't feel well."

Inside the card it says "They know, they just don't CARE!" LOL

My dog, on the other hand, could be a certified therapy animal. She is so intuitive, and always ready to snuggle up and comfort me. I'd be lost without her.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:57 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
The cats are around. They only love me when the food or water dish is empty.

I saw a get well card once that pretty much summed it up. On the front was a cartoon of someone laying on the sofa, with a cat next to them. It said "Cats know when you don't feel well."

Inside the card it says "They know, they just don't CARE!" LOL

My dog, on the other hand, could be a certified therapy animal. She is so intuitive, and always ready to snuggle up and comfort me. I'd be lost without her.

Awwwww I noticed you spoke about your dog more than your cats recently so I was afraid something might’ve happened. Glad they’re ok. Now you just gotta teach em how to care more Laugh

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:30 am
So I heard a beautiful vort on how RH is when Hashem is determining your year and we are asking for a good din, and how you should be utilizing the time to learn/say tehillim/daven/do chessed or 1000 was to serve Hashem and napping is putting yourself and your needs first.
Furthermore, my grandmother used to say that about everything. If you cry on RH, fight with your sister on RH, spill milk, get a run in your stockings.....

I would love to hold by that, but I was tired and I have my limitations. Maybe I am just a weak person. Maybe I have poor organizational skills and am lazy. I took a nap, sorry. I am an essential hospital worker, working full time. I cooking all YT meals (challah, fish, soup lamb, chicken, meat, potato kugel, broccoli kugel, noodle kugel, 2 vegetarian dishes, 3 types carrots, squash, roasted vegetables ....the list goes on. Helped cook meals for a sick friend and for an Avel who was getting up from shiva before YT, no cleaning help, making sure the kids had clothes....the past week did not get more that 4 hours a night. There is only so much I can do.

Just so you all know, when you start posting thins like how you will have a bad year and whose it is wrong to sleep..... you make some of us feel terrible. We are doing the best we can and we can't all be superwoman or you wouldn't be so special.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:42 am
After making yom tov, serving the meals, and keeping the kids from killing each other all morning while DH was in shul, you can bet I took a nap if only just to have some quiet time inside my own head. If that causes a sleepy year then I'm ok with it.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:55 am
Today I was I was so exhuasted, I figured it's better to nap then lose my temper w the kids.
I left the shades open so I could relax without falling asleep. And if I do end up aleeping so be it.....
I ended up sort of dozing off fir a few seconds here or there. But not really sleeping. It really refreshed me bh.

Yesterday I dozed off midsentance while talling woth the kids.....
Sometimees there is no choice.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:07 pm
Last year I was an onen
This year migraine
BIG MEH
it's wrong
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur