Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you have a cleaning lady?
Previous  1  2  3

Genius

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:01 pm
I don’t see how having basic (or advanced) cleaning skills and having a cleaning lady contradict each other.

Last edited by Genius on Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:17 pm
I'm responding to the posts about people who see no reason for their kids to have chores or ever do certain tasks.

Genius

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:21 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I'm responding to the posts about people who see no reason for their kids to have chores or ever do certain tasks.

I actually agreed with your post. I shouldn’t have quoted you

silverlining3

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:30 pm
To answer your title, nope I don't have, though it's about time I start with one.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:35 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
OP I agree with your schedule, just one thing I feel is too young.
A 10-12 yr old shouldn’t be cleaning the bathrooms.
It can wait for the 15 yr old stage.

I cleaned bathrooms at age 12. BH I'm fine.

To answer OP's question: I have 1 baby. Cleaning lady for 2 hours a week.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 1:11 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Adults and young adults should had those basic skills. And it can create spoiled kids.

I literally grew up hearing this. I’m Mexican and growing up my parents would instill “hard work=great results” into my young brain.
When it comes to cleaning Mexican moms don’t play. They want their house tidy and presentable at least. They’re too proud to have cleaning ladies. In fact in my childhood homes I grew up hearing that cleaning ladies are for the spoiled and rich slobs. Lol.

But now that I am jewish and religious I do realize that having lots of kids and adding chores cooking and laundry and cleaning can’t just fall on the mother and wife.
I really believe that everyone old enough to pick up a toy and put it back where it belongs should participate and help with chores.
I plan to do this and yes I’ll do the same thing my mother did.

My husband hates cleaning ladies. He doesn’t trust them and he likes to clean.

I guess were the odd ones because were too proud to have a cleaning lady and prefer to do everything ourselves

Nothing wrong with that btw if you have a cleaning lady. If you need it you need it. Smile

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 1:41 am
I never had a cleaning lady. Some days I dream about it but then realize to train one in- what a pain.
So my house isn't spic and span but my husband and I clean as often as possible and my children chip in with small chores. They make their beds almost daily and are expected to keep their shelves and drawers and closets neat. I do it for the younger ones obviously and a few times a year for the big ones too, when necessary and they are busy with school.
I feel strongly that children are not responsible for the cleanliness of the home. Their own stuff- yes. Small jobs like taking out the garbage, clearing the dinner table, etc., that I ask of them. Washing dishes, cleaning a bathroom or the entire kitchen- no way.
Once a week before shabbos they take turns vacuuming their bedrooms. They hang and fold and put away their own laundry and change their own sheets including the duvet cover (I help when necessary).
During a hectic time when I need more cleaning help, I will offer a paying job to any of my kids who want to earn some spending money. ie $5 to clean a bathroom or to fold all the laundry or to wash the walls or scrub the shower walls or clean the backyard. Some of them are quick to grab an opportunity to earn $, even sometimes accepting all the jobs I offer, and some of them decline. And I think that's perfectly fine. And I'm much happier giving $ to my kids than to a stranger.

ora_43

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:10 am
On and off for the past couple years. Currently it's a cleaning man.

Zero contradiction between that, and the kids, husband and I all knowing how to clean (and doing so regularly). There are something like 30 hours of housework to be done a week, and the cleaner does 2 of them. There's still more than enough to go around.

(30 hours - including cooking, shopping, laundry, setting the table, etc, not just cleaning)

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:47 am
Sure I have every evening for a few hours. I love her Very Happy

Chloe22

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:30 am
I had two different cleaning ladies for several years. The second woman was very unreliable and would cancel last minute or not show up. I stopped calling her after the last no show. I would like to find a cleaning service.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:02 pm
It’s easy to plan out a schedule for what your kids will do and be like before you have them.. come back in 15 years and then tell us which of your expectations happened . Some kids will make more of a mess helping than cleaning. You might be too busy to actually spend all that time showing them how to do it. Additionally, they are in school very long hours and boys are also in school on Sunday- many have limited time to help out. They also need time to be kids. Already from age 7/8 the boys are finishing school at 430, get home around 5 then supper and homework and it’s almost time for be. Even if you have girls, today’s generation is also very different than many of us even from growing up 20/30/40 years ago. Kids for the most part are not going to happily help out for 1-2 hours a day which was normal when I was a kid as one of the oldest of a large family.

Ima Piano

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:34 pm
No I dont and I wish I would

simcha2

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:37 pm
I have a cleaning lady I'm still paying, but who has come once since March when we were away for a couple of days.

Yay Covid.

fc8899

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:23 pm
If that’s what works for you, then you do that. Everyone has different house expectations, both in cleanliness and money wise. and different expectations from their children. After a full day of school I cannot expect my children to do laundry, wash the floors , or anything like that. I have cleaning help not every day but enough for my sanity. I work full time. So does my husband. My children help me with daily house upkeep like making beds, washing dishes, and cleaning up after supper. I have very high cleaning standards. House must be dusted all the time and ironed laundry is a must.
There is no right or wrong.

bnm

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:56 pm
It isn't an either or. I know how to sew. That does not mean I am sewing my family's wardrobe when I got my boys tees for under 10 dollars each. The fabric is more expensive. Just because I know how to clean doesn't mean I have to be the one to do it- I know how to kasher a chicken, I outsource that part too. For me cleaning takes 4x as long as the cleaning lady and I get distracted too many times. When she comes that is all she focuses on. She is way quicker than me. She comes, does her job and leaves.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 11:14 pm
I wouldn’t function without mine!! I’m a better happier calmer mother and wife with her. Bh we can afford it, I see nothing wrong with it in the least bit!!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics