Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Which childhood routine did you continue [or did you start]

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:34 am
I'm trying to initiate memorable routines for my children.
Who can help?

Specifically for the afternoon evenings
and
for before and after the shabbos

in my house now things go haywire during those hours
[not all the time but many times]

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:00 am
sHABBES is great
as my mom says no screen no any thing
spend some time even one hour talking of what they want and teach them stuff about their interests or yours

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:06 am
I don't actually do this, but my friend does.

After she lights candles Friday night, she gives her kids a shabbos nosh to make shabbos sweet. I thought that was such a nice tradition to have.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:14 am
In my house Friday night after I light candles , my kids know that they are able to go to the toy closet and take out a toy to play with and they could play with it in the living room next to me while I sit on the couch and relax.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:17 am
After Shabbos , especially in the winter we make melave malka and play a family board game together or another game where almost everyone could participate.

Erev Shabbos, I give fresh hot kugel after you take your bath for Shabbos and get dressed in your Shabbos clothes.

We also go to the library on Fridays and my kids know that if they take their bath and get dressed and do their Erev Shabbos chores then they get to read the books they took out.

In the summer my DH takes my boys to 7-11 for slurpees once they complete their Erev Shabbos jobs

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:17 am
Reading books together.
Eating dinner together.

I started inventing stories as part of the good-night routine...

Stories come out different according to children... what they like, the questions they ask...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:24 am
thunderstorm wrote:
In my house Friday night after I light candles , my kids know that they are able to go to the toy closet and take out a toy to play with and they could play with it in the living room next to me while I sit on the couch and relax.
[quote]

As opposed to what?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:36 am
thanks so much for sharing those

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:47 am
Erev shabbat- I have a spotify playlist of songs that I play throughout the day.
A few min before candle lighting I sit with DD and sing together. Then she stands with me and pretends to light candles alongside me. I say all my yehi ratzons then we say the tefila for chayalim together and I bentsch her.

Before shabbat ends we sing "shabbos is going away "
After havdalah we sing Eliyahu Hanavi with the whole family.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:42 am
Bedtime - we sing a song I made up listing all our children and who loves them. Started when my first was born. My 14 yr old son recently realized I haven’t sung it with him in 2 years (!!) bec he didn’t know the version with our babies name. So I’ve made a point to sing it outside his room every so often (we laugh). Still sing nightly when talking in children 11 and under.

Havdalah - my in laws sing a zemira after havdalah. I love it bec it holds on to the family a few more minutes without rushing away. We stopped recently but I’d like to start again.

I Also sung Shabbos is going away with girls when men go to maariv.

And kiddy Shabbos songs after lighting candles. Like Heiliga Shabbos..

Some that we do and stop and start and stop:
At supper say 2 good things and one bad thing that happened today
Read Halacha Seder - like shemuras haladhon or brachos.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:59 am
[quote="amother [ Forestgreen ]"]
Quote:

As opposed to what?

As opposed to them needing to play on their own in the playroom . I let them make a mess in my living room and they have my participation and attention .

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:59 am
sky. I used to do something similar with my oldest but the list got too long so I stopped. we had been including every aunt and uncle and cousin... who do you include in yours...

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:03 am
sky wrote:
Bedtime - we sing a song I made up listing all our children and who loves them. Started when my first was born. My 14 yr old son recently realized I haven’t sung it with him in 2 years (!!) bec he didn’t know the version with our babies name. So I’ve made a point to sing it outside his room every so often (we laugh). Still sing nightly when talking in children 11 and under.

I do that too!
We do Ima, Abba, the grandparents and siblings and her teachers Smile

sky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:07 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
sky. I used to do something similar with my oldest but the list got too long so I stopped. we had been including every aunt and uncle and cousin... who do you include in yours...

We started out listing the world. After my second was born I realized it became too long. So we whittled it down to the bare bones.

Mommy loves you. Tatty loves you. Hashem loves you. (Depending on time will add in bubby,Zaidy, some special ppl ...) everyone loves ( list all siblings)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:11 am
keep them coming
it may seem insignificant to you but it's really helpful

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:13 am
At bedtime, after shema my father would say with us I love Hashem and Hashem loves me, it became part of shema for us and I continue that with my child.

A special shabbos treat after I light and then we sing lecha dodi together on the couch when the men are in shul. Sometimes we sing other shabbos songs too.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:19 am
I came to this post thinking I'd love to read some routines, but reading it, I definitely have routines, too!

(Not Every) morning - I try to start the morning with singing - from when I go into my toddlers room - I probably have around 15 songs for davening. I usually sing at least 3 different versions of good morning songs.

At Night - I have been doing this since he was born - we start the bedtime routine with twinkle twinkle little star & move on to Shema & hamalach.

On Friday we sing shabbos is coming

On Friday Night - We sing Vzakeini after lighting the shabbos candles

I sing a lot Smile

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:45 am
davening kabalas shabbos with my girls
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics