Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Childcare for full time working mom's?
1  2  Next

honey36

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:51 am
I'm assuming there's already a thread about this, but I haven't found it. I basically want to know how a mother can work full time- 9-5?

If you have only babies/toddlers at home or your kids are already older, I understand. You have full time babysitter or kids can watch themselves.

but if you have kids in preschool how can you arrange child care for them after school? Where I live, (oot,) preschool ends at 3. Even school age ends at 4-4:30. School does not offer after care.

So just curious what other young mom's do?
Do you work part time and are home at 3?
Is your husband available for pick up?
Does your school offer after care? Is after school care a normal thing in most communities?
What about Fridays when school ends at 12?
Do you have a nanny only after school? How can you find this? Who only wants to work from 3-5?
Also what do you do about yomtov and when kids are sick?
Do you have a bus to pick up your kids and bring them home to nanny? Do 4 year olds go on busses? (oot so no idea how this works)
If no bus, how can you do carpool if you are at work? You leave early one day?
Does your nanny pick them up? What if it's a far walk and she doesnt drive?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:58 am
I work 7:45 to 3:15. My husband starts work later. He drops off at 9 and I pick up at 3:30. But it is a struggle!!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:58 am
I have a woman in my house who cares for the kids till I get home.

ima22

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:00 am
There are so many different ways to make this work. They are all challenging and involve either time, money or flexibility with your job (or DH's).

In my area some babysitters/nannies will walk or drive to pickup older kids or you could carpool if you have that flexibility. One family we carpooled with had their baby drive their day. You may be able to find someone to drive your child for pay. Or bussing. Personally, I work a different shift than my husband so one of us is almost always around and we have some babysitter coverage to fill in the gaps.

It is a challenge no matter how you work it. Every family needs to find an arrangement that works for their circumstances

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:03 am
A lot of daycares have preschool age around here, or the dayschools have preschools with before and aftercare. That definitely influences our choice of school. Other people we know have babysitters or relatives who help. As far as days off, we have some family to babysit or one of us has to take off, or sometimes people in the community run minicamps.

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I work 7:45 to 3:15. My husband starts work later. He drops off at 9 and I pick up at 3:30. But it is a struggle!!

This is just about what I do give or take 15 mins. But my husband works from 8:30-6:45. It is not easy. I mentioned my child care needs to my boss when I was being interviewed. I could not take a job without this flexibility.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:09 am
I work full time now but only have a 10 month old at full time babysitting. My husband works even longer hours so having him help isn't an option.
I know I will have to cut back on work hours once my baby goes to preschool.

singleagain

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:19 am
I grew up with a babysitter/housekeeper picking us up from school or maybe she was at our house when our carpool dropped us off. She would give us dinner and start us doing homework till my mom came home. Sometimes she stayed later if my folks had a thing at night. She also did laundry and some cleaning.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:38 am
ima22 wrote:
One family we carpooled with had their baby drive their day.

That seems dangerous...

Albeit efficient.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:37 am
A full time Nanny is really the idea solution.
During the day they do some light housework and bring and pick up the kids from school.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:40 am
DH works from home, I work 9-5.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:44 am
I have a live in nanny who is there when the kids come home from school. Our school does have before and aftercare. We drop off at 730 (before care) so One of us can get to work but I still wouldn’t make it to pick up from aftercare at 530 and have the live in anyways so either myself of my husband use our lunch break to pick up kids from school and drop them at home. I work crazy hours I usually leave the house around 630 am and don’t get home till after 8 pm most days. But this works for us for now. We also don’t have bussing and the kids school is not so close to our house that it is not walkable (about 5-6 miles)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:49 am
When I had one kid, my husband and I had different schedules so one could dropoff and the other pickup.

With 2 kids, we’ve made different arrangements. Husband does pickup/dropoff for big kid. Currently husband is working remotely, so has some flexibility with schedule.

My toddler currently goes to a secular daycare that has hrs of 7am-5:30pm. Unfortunately, this was the only affordable option I could figure out since the Jewish preschool hrs are so not accommodating for working parents. But the secular daycare I found has been great about kosher and has been sensitive to non Jewish holidays. I’m especially grateful at the moment my kid is in a secular daycare because of covid. My daycare never shut down when the pandemic started and stayed open for essential workers (I’m an essential worker). All the Jewish Preschools in my area closed several months for covid.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:37 pm
My kids are still daycare age, so it goes till 4:30. I work 8-4, plus commute time, dh drops kids off at 8 to be at work by 9, which allows me to go in a bit earlier. I figure down the line it will end up cheaper to have an in house babysitter than to pay multiple daycare and aftercare fees.

When we were kids, we first shared a babysitter with a family who had only little kids and mom worked part time. She watched their kids till 3 and then came and met us at the bus. When we were a bit older, her highschool aged kids who were in public school and got out at 3 or 3:30 would meet us at the bus and watch us till my mom got home. Public school kids are a great option for school aged kids if you have access to some you trust.

honey36

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:37 pm
Thanks everyone for responding.
It seems that it's common for people to have full time help if they are working full time, which in a way makes sense. But aren't you just spending a big chunk of your salary on childcare if your paying preschool tuition plus full time help?
I see how it can work for some people, not sure it would work for me.
Basically I'm asking because I work part time, but have the option to work full time if I want. I never worked full time though, even though I could make more money because, I didn't think it would be possible with the logistics of kids being in school only until 3 etc. So just curious if anyone had any other bright ideas...
Anyways, BH we don't need the extra money right now (although could always use more), but thinking about the future...

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:41 pm
honey36 wrote:
Thanks everyone for responding.
It seems that it's common for people to have full time help if they are working full time, which in a way makes sense. But aren't you just spending a big chunk of your salary on childcare if your paying preschool tuition plus full time help?
I see how it can work for some people, not sure it would work for me.
Basically I'm asking because I work part time, but have the option to work full time if I want. I never worked full time though, even though I could make more money because, I didn't think it would be possible with the logistics of kids being in school only until 3 etc. So just curious if anyone had any other bright ideas...
Anyways, BH we don't need the extra money right now (although could always use more), but thinking about the future...

The full time babysitter replaces daycare for the youngest or two. And maybe send preschoolers to a shorter cheaper program instead of a big school.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:58 pm
Pre-pandemic, we chose daycares that went a full day. I worked 6 - 3:30 and then could pick my kids up by 5/5:30.

Each year was very different in terms of what we would do after school. One year, my boys went to a friend's house after school and we paid their nanny.

A few years we used the school after care.

At some point I worked 5:30-2:15 and was able to get my kids after school and finish up work at home.

A few of my friends were able to hire college kids for after school.

This year I'm working from home at least until January so my kids are just home after school.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:03 pm
When had one kid he went to the babysitter until I left work after five. Now I cut my hours and work while my kids re in school. Bh both DH and I can be kind of flexible but it's getting hard even like this (I have three different schools)

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:10 pm
Family help is major. PRE COVID I worked 3 evenings a week until 7-8. My mother in law watched the kids those evenings. Since covid my husband works from home so he is with them plus I cut back to only 2 evenings a week.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:27 pm
OY! I feel so bad for babies & little kids whose parents work till 5 pm or more!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics