Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can someone in Israel explain the lockdown
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:31 pm
Look, the whole thing sucks. Lockdown sucks, the sickness sucks - all of it.

Just me personally, I don't feel like the lockdown is affecting life much more than the sickness itself at this point. My kid's school is now officially shut down due to lockdown, instead of being shut down due to everyone having been exposed to covid. Cool.

I can't see family due to lockdown, instead of not being able to do family get-togethers because 80% of the family is high-risk. Oh, and because half of my husband's coworkers are in quarantine and he's working late, so when were we going to go anywhere anyway. OK.

I can't go more than a kilometer from home because of lockdown, instead of not being able to walk more than 1km because we are experiencing record-breaking heat this summer. If you say so.

It's definitely going to stink not being able to do any fun trips during chol hamoed. I also hate that so many small businesses are suffering because of this.

But other than that, just me personally? Life has barely changed.

I think I'd feel differently if I lived in, I dunno - Rehovot? Which cities are 'green' right now? It does feel like the whole country is suffering just because, whoops, the 'red' zones are all Arab and religious and/or poor and shutting down specifically these areas would be super un-PC. So I can see why people there are upset. I'm in a 'red' zone anyway, so...

banana123

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:34 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I don't think the thread is pointless, I was also curious what's going on in Israel. I didn't realize that one had to be an Israeli to protest the idea of lockdown. Much like all the Israelis on this thread don't hesitate to criticize Americans, especially our behavior during Corona. (Shabbatiscoming - I remember you distinctly)

I agree that this site can be extremely nasty. I myself have had to take long breaks after an attack, and they come with regularity. I think everyone should be anonymous - and anyone who wants to be has the right to be, no matter what. If you don't like arguing with anonymous people, then don't. You don't have to respond to any thread, at any time. It's not an incumbent mitzvah or anything.

I'm also curious as to what's going on in Israel, and I'm in Israel. So, when I don't know what's going on, and I want to know what's on the table at a given moment, I do something really fantastic:

I read the news.

No, really.

I've been following the news all day because I'm hoping for a lockdown that will actually do something. (If you are going to do a lockdown, do it right. The current lockdown is a fake lockdown, and it's not even enforced.)

So every couple of hours I check a couple of news sites for updates. I don't need a forum to tell me the news - and neither do you. You get your news from news sites or newspapers, and come here to discuss it. That's essentially what this thread is (or what it pretended to be).

banana123

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:39 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Look, the whole thing sucks. Lockdown sucks, the sickness sucks - all of it.

Just me personally, I don't feel like the lockdown is affecting life much more than the sickness itself at this point. My kid's school is now officially shut down due to lockdown, instead of being shut down due to everyone having been exposed to covid. Cool.

I can't see family due to lockdown, instead of not being able to do family get-togethers because 80% of the family is high-risk. Oh, and because half of my husband's coworkers are in quarantine and he's working late, so when were we going to go anywhere anyway. OK.

I can't go more than a kilometer from home because of lockdown, instead of not being able to walk more than 1km because we are experiencing record-breaking heat this summer. If you say so.

It's definitely going to stink not being able to do any fun trips during chol hamoed. I also hate that so many small businesses are suffering because of this.

But other than that, just me personally? Life has barely changed.

I think I'd feel differently if I lived in, I dunno - Rehovot? Which cities are 'green' right now? It does feel like the whole country is suffering just because, whoops, the 'red' zones are all Arab and religious and/or poor and shutting down specifically these areas would be super un-PC. So I can see why people there are upset. I'm in a 'red' zone anyway, so...

This one got me. Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Except I think you meant to write "this September" instead of "this summer." We always have record-breaking heat - it's just usually over with by the end of August.

BTW there are no more colors, other than red. Any city not colored red is now colored "lo yadua."

Amalia

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:51 pm
Teomima wrote:
OP, like others have said, you seem to have a specific agenda by opening this thread and aren't actually curious about our lockdown at all.

That said, I will add one important point, one reason why people who push for so-called "herd immunity" totally miss the point of why, at this point, that is an unreal option:

Our health care system is getting totally overwhelmed. The point of a lockdown is to slow the rate of infection. Nothing, not lockdown, not mask compliance, and not herd immunity, will stop this virus at this point in time. The last pandemic took two years and there's no reason to realistically expect this one to be any shorter. The best we can do is slow the rate of infection so we don't overwhelm our health care system, leading to unnecessary and pointless deaths and overworked and overtired health care workers.

So we must wear our masks and practice social distancing and obey restrictions and lockdowns and hope and pray we are doing enough to keep the world going long enough for there to be a cure and/or real herd immunity, if such a thing even exists with this virus.

As for the problems with our lockdown here in Israel, where us Israelis actually live, yes we know it is imperfect. Yes we know it negatively impact our economy (thanks, we're there ones sitting at home instead of working, we're the ones homeschooling our kids, we know, thank you). But we also read the news and see the climbing numbers and hear about the hospitals running out of room and watch our friends and family who are doctors and nurses and see them terrified and burnt out and desperately want to keep our aging parents who were haven't hugged since March as safe and healthy as humanly possible. This is life and death for us, for all of humanity. There is no room for agendas.

Thank you for this post. (I am not in Israel.)

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:55 pm
I do like the changes that were made to the first lockdown. We can walk further from home, playgrounds are open, use of outdoor exercise equipment is encouraged, more businesses are allowed to open. So that's good.

banana123

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:59 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I do like the changes that were made to the first lockdown. We can walk further from home, playgrounds are open, use of outdoor exercise equipment is encouraged, more businesses are allowed to open. So that's good.

Some of the changes are good. Some of them are...not.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:12 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I think everyone should be anonymous - and anyone who wants to be has the right to be, no matter what.

We already have that. I'm pretty sure that your legal birth name is not "imorethanamother".

If it is, you should complain to your parents, not us. LOL

(BTW, my legal name is not "FranticFrummie". Ssssssh, it's a secret! Hiding )
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics