Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Diamond ring

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:37 pm
I'm starting my research and I'm clueless
How much $$ am I looking at?
Buying for a kallah.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:40 pm
Depends on lots of factors.
CZ, lab grown, genuine certified diamonds.
Cut clarity and color.
What’s the average carats kallah a in your circles get?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:47 pm
Genuine certified , I'm not sure what everybody gets and I'm not following the crowd
I'm just researching to know how much I need to spend
Lets put it that way, I don't have much (nicely said) but I feel very strongly to give a real diamond for a kalla, as this is something that's always worth unlike jewelry that the diamond loses it value once it's bought

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:53 pm
This will vary wildly depending on diamond size and quality, but just as an estimate I would think a 1 carot diamond would start at around 2k, and go up or down based on size and quality. The setting can be another 1,500 for something simple (maybe less for something rly simple) or more for something more elaborate or with diamond chips in it.

Perhaps someone in the business can advise if I'm totally off

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:54 pm
You're going to want to get close to a full karat. Speak to a local jeweler in your are regarding settings and quality. You can go up on the size and down on the price sometimes with negligible imperfections. You also can get a simple band and no extra diamonds. That way the value is there and they can upgrade the band when they wish.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:55 pm
You are most likely looking at a minimum of 2.5-3,000. Maximum- the sky's the limit Wink
Almost everyone gets a 1ct diamond these days unless you're super rich- less is nebby and more is show-offy. You want a good deal on a diamond- if you know someone or have connections in the diamond district that's a good place to start.
ETA agreed with what everyone says about looking for diamonds with tiny imperfections- they will often be cheaper and the imperfections are barely noticeable to the naked eye
If you can't afford a 1ct diamond then you might be able to get away with a smaller diamond plus a halo, which is cheaper bc the diamonds are tiny and will make the center stone look bigger

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:59 pm
Go to a store, tell the proprietor what your budget is then bring the kallah to choose. He will only offer those within the price range.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:01 pm
May I strongly suggest that you look at buying a second hand diamond and putting it into a new setting?

You'll probably save a lot of money, and even better, you won't be supporting the blood diamond trade. Heirloom diamonds are conflict free, and you can give it with the extra feeling of doing the right thing. (A diamond doesn't have to be antique to be considered heirloom. A gem 20 years old falls into that category.)

If you want a diamond larger than a carat, consider getting one with a small flaw that can be hidden under a prong or other part of the setting. No one will ever notice, and it will bring the price down considerably.

Oddly enough, Etsy is a really good place to look for certified, pre owned diamonds. You can private message the sellers and ask as many questions as you want. If you want to see the diamonds in person, go to a jeweler who buys diamond jewelry, but NOT a pawn shop. They don't know diamonds the way a jeweler does, and you might get ripped off if you're not careful.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:09 pm
Op lots of people are doing lab grown diamonds nowadays. They have a certification.

A 1 carat diamond plus setting is easily $4k.

Prep has share location and we can direct you to a reasonable retailer.

Mazel tov and good luck!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:20 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
May I strongly suggest that you look at buying a second hand diamond and putting it into a new setting?

You'll probably save a lot of money, and even better, you won't be supporting the blood diamond trade. Heirloom diamonds are conflict free, and you can give it with the extra feeling of doing the right thing. (A diamond doesn't have to be antique to be considered heirloom. A gem 20 years old falls into that category.)

If you want a diamond larger than a carat, consider getting one with a small flaw that can be hidden under a prong or other part of the setting. No one will ever notice, and it will bring the price down considerably.

Oddly enough, Etsy is a really good place to look for certified, pre owned diamonds. You can private message the sellers and ask as many questions as you want. If you want to see the diamonds in person, go to a jeweler who buys diamond jewelry, but NOT a pawn shop. They don't know diamonds the way a jeweler does, and you might get ripped off if you're not careful.

I can't speak to now, but traditionally, most pawn brokers were also jewelers, or at least had a very strong understanding of jewelry. Its how they made a living.

OTOH, still be careful. Pawn brokers will rip you off. But so will jewelers.

trixx

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:06 pm
The price jumps significantly after 1 carat and the difference isn't always noticeable. So getting a . 8 will cost way less and look the same size.

Buy a solitaire setting (gold is a fortune now too) and put all the budget into the stone and let her upgrade it later.

Also OP you're not correct about the diamond holding value. It really doesn't. Gold is a better investment.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:27 pm
Thanks for the information, now I have to start looking who can give a good price and trust not to be ripped off..... when you get your kid engaged you don't think it'll be so complicated

challahchallah

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the information, now I have to start looking who can give a good price and trust not to be ripped off..... when you get your kid engaged you don't think it'll be so complicated

There are some very reputable online companies that will not rip you off. You won’t get the super deal you might with a friend of a friend, but you’ll get a quality diamond at a fair price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics