Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Any eye doctors here?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:41 am
So it officially happened. I’m in my 40’s and have a hard time reading. I wear regular glasses (for distance) and the only way I can read small print is by taking off my glasses.
Recently I was in Staples. They had this thing to look through next to a display of reading glasses. You turn the dial until the letters look clear. I did that (while wearing my glasses) and it showed that my prescription is +2.50. Then I took off my glasses and looked again. When I turned the dial the +2.50 was all fuzzy.
So does that mean I don’t need reading glasses if I can read well without wearing my regular glasses? What do people do when shopping or davening? When I’m resting on my bed or couch I just take off my glasses to read. I don’t always want to do that when I’m out in public. Is this when people wear bifocals??? Oh my... I really don’t want bifocals. Isn’t that for older people? I’m really not old yet...

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:16 am
I have progressive lenses and its the best thing ever. one number for reading, one number for computer use, one number for distance.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:19 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I have progressive lenses and its the best thing ever. one number for reading, one number for computer use, one number for distance.

So you have to train your eyes to look from a certain spot on your glasses?
Do you feel dizzy from different prescriptions in your lenses?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So you have to train your eyes to look from a certain spot on your glasses?
Do you feel dizzy from different prescriptions in your lenses?

You get used to it verrrry fast.
You're anyway used to looking up when you walk, down when you read, and straight ahead when youre at the computer.
The numbers differ super slightly, but it's that subtle differnce that makes such lenses necessary. For example, +1.50 for distance, + 1.25 for computer, +2 for reading. So when I''m walking outside, I anyway tend to look somewhere above my center. When I'm reading, I look downwards anyway. So it works out perfectly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:55 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
You get used to it verrrry fast.
You're anyway used to looking up when you walk, down when you read, and straight ahead when youre at the computer.
The numbers differ super slightly, but it's that subtle differnce that makes such lenses necessary. For example, +1.50 for distance, + 1.25 for computer, +2 for reading. So when I''m walking outside, I anyway tend to look somewhere above my center. When I'm reading, I look downwards anyway. So it works out perfectly.

I don’t know if that would work for me.
For distance I would need -4.50 and for reading +2.50
It probably works when the numbers are similar in range
Sigh 😔 ... I guess I can need an eye doctor to help me figure things out

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:30 pm
They do actually work when theres a big difference in prescription. And today's bifocals are progressive, meaning theres no line in the middle dividing the lens.you cant tell from looking at it that its bifocal.

Mama bear, I didn't know theres a prescription for computer use. Did you have to ask the dr for it? Mine never mentioned it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics