Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to get his peyos to stop sticking out!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:56 pm
My husband and I had a disagreement before we cut our oldest son's hair: peyos behind the ears or just the shorter, neater peyos?

You can guess who wanted which one. Smile

We decided that we'd start with the peyos behind the ears and then see what his class does when he starts yeshiva.

He's only 3.5 and in nursery this year. But those peyos have been driving me BANANAS since the moment we cut his hair!

He has very curly hair that goes in all directions when longer, so you can guess where those peyos have been going.

I've tried mousse and two types of gel, but neither one worked in the slightest.

Help!

QueensMama

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:32 pm
Hairspray.

addicted2techgirl

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:20 am
I find this to be the only gel that last all day.
(Use it on dry hair)

https://www.garnierusa.com/abo.....y-gel

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:55 am
Been in the same exact boat- unless it was your hubby that wants the shorter, neat peyos😊
It needs to be “trained.” Brush after the bath and then in the morning with a wet brush. After doing consistently for a while you will see an improvement.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:42 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Been in the same exact boat- unless it was your hubby that wants the shorter, neat peyos😊
It needs to be “trained.” Brush after the bath and then in the morning with a wet brush. After doing consistently for a while you will see an improvement.

LOL

I hear you, but DH is the one who gets him ready and takes him to nursery in the morning! Is there any other way to train it?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
LOL

I hear you, but DH is the one who gets him ready and takes him to nursery in the morning! Is there any other way to train it?

It actually doesn't take that long to train hair. You don't even have to do a full bath. Cowlicks in the back of hair are the ones you can't train. Things like payos, or which side you part your hair on, are much easier. (BTW, the longer the hair, the easier it is to train. The weight of the hair holds it down.)

In the morning, get the payos wet along the scalp, with some very warm water. Massage it in for a few seconds, and then brush down and gel the hair. It only takes a week or two to get the follicles lined up in the right direction.

Besides, he's just a baby! Let him have slightly wild payos. I doubt it will affect his shidduchim down the road.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It actually doesn't take that long to train hair. You don't even have to do a full bath. Cowlicks in the back of hair are the ones you can't train. Things like payos, or which side you part your hair on, are much easier. (BTW, the longer the hair, the easier it is to train. The weight of the hair holds it down.)

In the morning, get the payos wet along the scalp, with some very warm water. Massage it in for a few seconds, and then brush down and gel the hair. It only takes a week or two to get the follicles lined up in the right direction.

Besides, he's just a baby! Let him have slightly wild payos. I doubt it will affect his shidduchim down the road.

I know that DH won't do it - I can't get him to do anything style-related with the kids. I am hoping to eventually get a job that allows me to do mornings, because DH just can't be bothered. (I know he can if he wants to; he used to make his sister's hair in braids.)

LOL shidduchim is the last thing on my mind. I just really hate the longer peyos look. Not just for neatness, but because of what it symbolizes. I didn't like it on my first date with DH, and I don't like it on my son. But at least DH's peyos are neatly behind his ears most of the time. Not DS's.

Also, my family members make comments about it a lot. We all have bad associations with the behind-the-ears peyos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics