Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do 8 year old girls wear crop tops?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:15 pm
I've got an 8yo girl who hasn't started to develop yet. She hates wearing vests, she says they make her too hot but I'm thinking she should maybe wear something under her shirt as on a couple of occasions when I've taken her to the doctor and she's been examined, the doctor has commented on her not wearing anything under her top (nothing is visible from the outside so it is not an issue of modesty.)

Do girls this age wear crop tops?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:17 pm
Why doesn't she wear a regular undershirt?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:53 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Why doesn't she wear a regular undershirt?

She hates them! She says they make her too hot (and I get her the thinnest cotton ones.) I was thinking the crop tops would provide the function of wearing something under the shirt without being an extra full layer.

She does suffer with the heat in general and complains about long sleeves too, but she genuinely does feel hot all the time!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:59 pm
I have never heard of it being done.

Why don't you just get her a thin cotton training bra? They are much lighter and cooler. If she complains about the elastic, get her a size larger than she needs, so the band won't be too tight.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've got an 8yo girl who hasn't started to develop yet. She hates wearing vests, she says they make her too hot but I'm thinking she should maybe wear something under her shirt as on a couple of occasions when I've taken her to the doctor and she's been examined, the doctor has commented on her not wearing anything under her top (nothing is visible from the outside so it is not an issue of modesty.)

If she has not started to develop yet and wearing any sort of undershirt makes her hot, why make her wear anything under her shirt?

She's only 8.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:00 pm
why would she need to wear something under her shirt just to wear something under her shirt?

if she's 8 and still has a little girl's shape and she's hot?

unless it's a thin, see-thru material in which case I would get her different shirts so she can be comfortable.

I think it's really strange the doctor said something. I hope at least she's female but it's still strange.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:02 pm
Why would an 8 year old need a sports bra?? Especially as she isn't even developing yet. I got my 1st bra in 9th grade when I was 14. I didn't need it until then.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:07 pm
also I didn't know what you were referring to at first I never heard "crop top" used that way before (to describe a sports bra/bralette/training bra) IME crop top (in the US at least) means a short top designed to bare some midriff, not an undergarment. except for maybe a cropped tank?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:18 pm
My daughter is 9 now and also doesn't like wearing a vest.
So she doesn't...
End of story.
It's not the Doctors place to comment.
She's comfortable that way.

womanwithaplan

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:24 pm
Odelyah wrote:
why would she need to wear something under her shirt just to wear something under her shirt?

if she's 8 and still has a little girl's shape and she's hot?

unless it's a thin, see-thru material in which case I would get her different shirts so she can be comfortable.

I think it's really strange the doctor said something. I hope at least she's female but it's still strange.

Seconding this. This is the only problematic part of op's post to me... why should the dr notice or care?
Let your daughter be comfortable. She's a little girl!
I have a daughter that age and she also prefers to wear nothing under her top/ dress. Dont see any problem with that.... Wink

Last edited by womanwithaplan on Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Most don’t. Weird that the dr commented.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:58 pm
Odelyah wrote:
also I didn't know what you were referring to at first I never heard "crop top" used that way before (to describe a sports bra/bralette/training bra) IME crop top (in the US at least) means a short top designed to bare some midriff, not an undergarment. except for maybe a cropped tank?

I think op is from England where they call undershirts vests. So it's possible crop top is their way of saying bralette or the likes.

lucky14

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I think op is from England where they call undershirts vests. So it's possible crop top is their way of saying bralette or the likes.

Until I read the responses I was so so confused about the vest....

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:34 am
Nothing or undershirt

Coffee beanz

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:14 am
I know im repeating here but the doctor commenting would bother me.
Not trying to scare you as your doctor is probably fine but in general please always be present at dc checkups.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children