Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
What’s app status

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:21 pm
So , this is a type Of spinoff from the fancy YT table Thread. It’s been on my mind a while and I wonder how others feel. What do you think about putting up a status, not a profile picture, a status?
I feel it’s used to show off, look at me, my vacation or table or kids clothes are so interesting. If it’s really interesting then don’t pull out peoples eyes. If it’s something like bedikas chometz , then, hello we all doing that, nothing exciting about yours.
I would like to add I am not jealous. I go on beautiful Instagram worthy vacations and I would never post , cause I think it causes jealousy and feelings on inadequacy. Wondering what you all think

Genius

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:29 pm
Putting your life on show is against my beliefs (feel like it’s the opposite of tznius).
Some people put out funny/entertaining statements, pictures and clips. I see no wrong in that. To the contrary, it makes yidden smile.
(I’m obviously not talking about media that embarrasses other yidden)

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:31 pm
I love that some young mothers always change the pictures of their children in their whatsapp status... that's a convenient way for extended family to see the newest pictures of their children...

asmileaday

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:37 pm
I enjoy seeing other people's statuses. Maybe it's just my inner yenta... I also enjoy seeing my friends and acquaintances families grow up.
I mainly post pictures relating to my work, which is a form of advertising.
When I post pictures of my family it's to share it with my contacts who I wouldn't necessarily message directly with the pictures. It's kind of- keep up with me if you'd like to.
I blocked a lot of random contacts from seeing my status. My plumber or painter doesn't need to see my updates.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:38 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
I love that some young mothers always change the pictures of their children in their whatsapp status... that's a convenient way for extended family to see the newest pictures of their children...

Are you referring to the whatsap status? Sounds more like the profile pic...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:42 pm
It’s interesting that you bring this up. I don’t think I used to give it much thought. I used to get in my posting moods where I’d post a cute pic here and there and I enjoy looking at my friends’ posts. However, during the beginning of the COVID lockdown, I was sick in bed. BH it wasn’t serious, but I had a hard time getting out of bed for weeks. My children were home from school, and normally that would actually be a dream for me as I love having them around. But I wasn’t able to do anything with them and they mostly had to fend for themselves. A few people kept posting all the fun they were having and I will be very honest, I felt a bit jealous. I was surprised at myself, as I normally have no problem with people posting photos of their exotic vacations even if we haven’t gone anywhere in over a year, never mind exotic. My life isn’t perfect, but I am mostly happy and secure. And I don’t for a second think that because someone posts a nice photo they have a better life than I do. But during that period, I obviously felt bad about myself, and everyone’s pictures made me feel so much worse. So I really try to think ten times before posting and I hardly post at all. If I really want to share a cute photo, I will post in one of my friend chats where people often post pictures. But for the most part, the photos I take are for us to enjoy in our immediate family.

s c

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:44 pm
I never usually bother with status but it was useful when my daughter was doing something for charity I put it up and a few people sponsored her from seeing it

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:56 pm
Only my family and close friends can see my status. I post cute pics of my kids as a way for them to keep up with our lives. I don't post pics of DH & me, just from my kids. I also enjoy seeing my relatives and friends status pics of their kids. I also post jokes or inspirational quotes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:51 pm
I must travel in such different circles than so many here. I didnt even know what a status was until my daughter got a cell phone. And even now, almost nobody I know uses statuses at all. Maybe its an age thing?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:25 pm
Welcome to my status.... where my friends see the real me, my struggles, my messy house, my rants and kvetches, the raw, real, me, no pretenses, no fancy set tables... and no makeup routines either. Just the funny stuff that happens regularly, and the dark side of real life, where you're not coping and your house is a mess and you're overwhelmed and exhausted. Forget about fancy tablescapes. Very Happy

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:00 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I must travel in such different circles than so many here. I didnt even know what a status was until my daughter got a cell phone. And even now, almost nobody I know uses statuses at all. Maybe its an age thing?

For some reason, whatsapp became the most acceptable social media platform in certain circles.

I never post photos of myself or my family, though I might put up a creative craft or school award.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:57 pm
It's called "WhatsApp", not "What's app".

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:57 pm
Is the Whatsapp status the picture next to people's names? I thought that was more of a profile photo. Is it meant to be a status?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:18 pm
You know what I find hilarious about status?
That anyone who has ever saved you in their contacts in the past and you saved them- you can see their status. There is a guy I know who used to do work for me and he was totally frum and then went otd and he posts stuff from his new life that both horrifies and amuses me and I wonder how many other people are seeing it that maybe he didn't mean for them to see .

But mostly the people who I see who post stuff post announcements and such...noone really posts pics of their family.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
That anyone who has ever saved you in their contacts in the past and you saved them- you can see their status. There is a guy I know who used to do work for me and he was totally frum and then went otd and he posts stuff from his new life that both horrifies and amuses me and I wonder how many other people are seeing it that maybe he didn't mean for them to see .

But mostly the people who I see who post stuff post announcements and such...noone really posts pics of their family.

Major pet peeves of mine. You can decide who sees your status. Not every person who you ever got in touch with needs to see what you made for dinner Banging head

asmileaday

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Is the Whatsapp status the picture next to people's names? I thought that was more of a profile photo. Is it meant to be a status?

No those are profile pictures. There's a separate feature called status. Whatsapp has 3 tabs (on the galaxy). One is Chats, the other Status and the 3rd is Calls.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:51 pm

You can mute his status of it horrifies you that much, then it'll go to the bottom of your list and you'll never see it.
Also I'm not 100% sure but I think that if you block him from seeing your status then you won't see his either.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:49 pm
asmileaday wrote:
You can mute his status of it horrifies you that much, then it'll go to the bottom of your list and you'll never see it.
Also I'm not 100% sure but I think that if you block him from seeing your status then you won't see his either.

horrifies like in an OMG how far has he gone type of way, that he is ok with such crude language and images.. but truth is I actually find the stuff entertaining too.

and Thats not the point. If I wanted to not look I simply dont have to click on it. the point is does he know that I am seeing what he posts? and ptobably a whole lot of other people? He probably forgot I am saved in his contacts and I imagine the stuff he posts is meant for his guy friends.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:55 pm

Unless youve turned off your read-receipts, he can see that youve seen his statuses.
And he obviously still has you in his contacts if you're able to see his stuff. both of you need to have each others saved to see each others statuses.
I guess he doesnt mind that strangers see his stuff.

On the flipside I always find it amusing when I suddenly see someone from my past actually have a whatsapp account. They often dont find me bc they may have not saved my # but I did save their # so I'm able to see that they have an acct (but not their statuses)

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
It’s interesting that you bring this up. I don’t think I used to give it much thought. I used to get in my posting moods where I’d post a cute pic here and there and I enjoy looking at my friends’ posts. However, during the beginning of the COVID lockdown, I was sick in bed. BH it wasn’t serious, but I had a hard time getting out of bed for weeks. My children were home from school, and normally that would actually be a dream for me as I love having them around. But I wasn’t able to do anything with them and they mostly had to fend for themselves. A few people kept posting all the fun they were having and I will be very honest, I felt a bit jealous. I was surprised at myself, as I normally have no problem with people posting photos of their exotic vacations even if we haven’t gone anywhere in over a year, never mind exotic. My life isn’t perfect, but I am mostly happy and secure. And I don’t for a second think that because someone posts a nice photo they have a better life than I do. But during that period, I obviously felt bad about myself, and everyone’s pictures made me feel so much worse. So I really try to think ten times before posting and I hardly post at all. If I really want to share a cute photo, I will post in one of my friend chats where people often post pictures. But for the most part, the photos I take are for us to enjoy in our immediate family.

Same! Not exactly the same but some of it. Seeing people's happy lives never used to bother me but since things in mine have taken a major downturn, especially in my marriage and some struggles with children, I am having horrible bouts of envy that get much worse when I'm on social media. The vacations (inevitably my spouse or our DD have a major tantrum that mars our vacations), the spouses getting all gooey about each others' birthdays and anniversaries (when mine is just as likely to forget the date or just wait for me to organize something), the glowing reports of their kids brilliant achievements and popularity, the fancy tablescapes and flower arrangements (DH hasn't bought me flowers in over a year).... it all makes my stomach sour and feel worse about my own situation and like a failure as a wife and mother. Jealousy is rather new to me and I'm really struggling with how to manage this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media