Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
DESPERATE. All advice welcome. REFLUX+COLIC

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:42 am
Imas!
I am going CRAZY! My 2.5 month baby has colic and reflux. He is on meds plus thickened formula for reflux. But will still have occasional spit up and mysterious burps hours after feeds. He is never comfortable. Plus hes got colic and cries like you wouldn't believe, at times nothing will help. When he finallyyyyyy finallyyy falls asleep - he wakes up after like 25 minutes. Yesterday I managed to get him to sleep for an hr by NON STOP (I MEAN THAT) STROLLING. Its crazy. I am certain alot of his behavior is because he doesnt sleep. Please please help. Things that havent worked- Swing, colic calm/gripe water, carrier, elevated bassinet w vibration. White noise. Pacifier. This is getting really really hard. I am fallingg apart. Also- not my only child. I have to be functioning. Anything you can share will help.
Thanks!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:44 am
Get him off of dairy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:49 am
Should have mentioned. Hes not on dairy for more than a month now.neocate formula.

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:52 am
If he pulls his head to the side burp him. Read the 90 minute sleep method. After 90 minutes he should be automatically more tired, so when he wakes up, note the time on the clock and start easing him to sleep an hour later.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:02 am
Please have your baby checked for tongue tie. Even a small or posterior tie can make a baby absolutely miserable. Check out Dr. Bobby Gaheri's website.

riseandshine

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:27 am
Give him probiotic and get off gluten as well .the formula might not be good for him .for my baby I had to add a vitamin when u gave him formula to help him digest otherwise his reflux would come back I did go to a person who helps deal with these things naturally

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Should have mentioned. Hes not on dairy for more than a month now.neocate formula.

I had such a child. NOTHING helped. The advice from everyone and their cousin’s cat drove me crazy. Bh after 3-4 months things became better and now this child is the cutest smartest most nachas giving! My advice: hang in there. This too shall pass, although it’s so so so hard! The living on no sleep is excruciating. If you can get help in that sense go for it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:36 am
My DD had horrible colic, and she basically screamed non stop every night for the first 4 months of her life.

A few things helped. Switching to Enfamil Lactose Free formula. (What works for one baby, might not be the right one for another baby. We had to try a few to get it right.)

At 3 months, we were given permission to put a teaspoon of rice cereal in her last bottle for the night.

As I paced the floor with her night after night, I kept telling myself "I love this baby. I prayed for this baby. If this baby were gone, I would be very sad!" Over and over again. Sometimes you just have to have a mantra to keep you from snapping.

If you feel like you are going to lose it, BEFORE you get to that point, set your baby down in a safe place, and walk away for a few minutes. Your baby is already screaming, so what you do at this point isn't going to make much of a difference. What's important, is that you get to count to 10 and breathe, or fix a cup of tea, or use the bathroom in relative peace.

People underestimate colic, if they haven't experienced it. It's so much more than just "a fussy baby that doesn't sleep well". While doing research, I found out that colic is the number one cause of parents killing their infants. Crying

Please keep talking to your pediatrician. Call your local hospital and see if they have a colic/reflux support group, or if there are any nurses who can help you.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:37 am
I second checking for a tongue tie, but I found that clipping it didn't help my kids much. What helped was that they got older and their digestive systems matured. I know that's not what you want to hear!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:40 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My DD had horrible colic, and she basically screamed non stop every night for the first 4 months of her life.

A few things helped. Switching to Enfamil Lactose Free formula. (What works for one baby, might not be the right one for another baby. We had to try a few to get it right.)

At 3 months, we were given permission to put a teaspoon of rice cereal in her last bottle for the night.

As I paced the floor with her night after night, I kept telling myself "I love this baby. I prayed for this baby. If this baby were gone, I would be very sad!" Over and over again. Sometimes you just have to have a mantra to keep you from snapping.

If you feel like you are going to lose it, BEFORE you get to that point, set your baby down in a safe place, and walk away for a few minutes. Your baby is already screaming, so what you do at this point isn't going to make much of a difference. What's important, is that you get to count to 10 and breathe, or fix a cup of tea, or use the bathroom in relative peace.

People underestimate colic, if they haven't experienced it. It's so much more than just "a fussy baby that doesn't sleep well". While doing research, I found out that colic is the number one cause of parents killing their infants. Crying

Please keep talking to your pediatrician. Call your local hospital and see if they have a colic/reflux support group, or if there are any nurses who can help you.

I agree.
I never felt validated. People would say yea my baby was fussy too.
Fussy and extreme colic is like a cut vs a broken bone!
Yes at one point I was close to throwing the child out of the window and myself along with it!
Try running on 3 months of no sleep and a screeching baby and it’s close to impossible to stay sane.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:31 am
Ugh!! Dont get me started w all these ppl comparing it to fussiness. Not even close!!! Bh I love my baby and hes so YUMMY when hes feeling good. I dont think thats a coincidence- thank you hashem! I just wish I knew how to keep him comfy and get a little rest. Hes always tired and I know that makes things worse for him.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:40 am
Try a little bit of chamamile tea

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:52 am
So hard. My best advice is to get as much hired help as you can possibly afford because this is too much for one person

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I second checking for a tongue tie, but I found that clipping it didn't help my kids much. What helped was that they got older and their digestive systems matured. I know that's not what you want to hear!

The back of the tongue is connected to the muscles of the neck and top of the spine. When you cut/laser the frenulum, the muscles are still tight and baby still doesn't know how to use freed tongue properly, which continues to contribute to the reflux and discomfort. It helps a lot to do body work (chiropractor, osteopath, craniosacral therapist) both before and after the release, even just one or two sessions before and another one or two sessions after. Also, working with a lactation consultant to help baby learn how to use oral muscles properly can go a long way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics