Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Science Experiments?

Lovemygirlz

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:37 pm
Hello Teachers!

Looking for suggestions for at home science experiments that my students can do at home over zoom. No fire, little to no mess, and fun! any suggestions. Not finding much on the web.

TIA

SingALong

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 6:43 pm
How old are your students?

For my young kids I did a celery in food coloring water to watch it change colors, and we’ll talk about how plants get their nutrients from water that comes up from the ground.

Last week we wrapped a kidney bean in a wet paper towel, keep it in a bowl outside, unwrap daily to check on progress, wrap in new wet paper towel. Iyh will check progress daily and discuss how plants grow.

Later this week I want to do a volcano, just waiting for nice weather

avrahamama

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 6:54 pm
Lovemygirlz wrote:
Hello Teachers!

Looking for suggestions for at home science experiments that my students can do at home over zoom. No fire, little to no mess, and fun! any suggestions. Not finding much on the web.

TIA

What science concepts are you currently learning or have already learned? What grade?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 6:58 pm
My kids are doing stuff these days on diy.org which has a science section. You might find cool stuff on pinterest
Im not a teacher, just a mom of bored kids...

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:28 pm
Make oobleck.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Oobleck/

asweet

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:40 pm
Rock candy. I just saw it online and would like to do it with my kids. Hope it'll work out.

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:59 pm
Red cabbage to measure pH

egg into bottle with vacuum

flame extinguishes without oxygen

Volumes:
Check out that in a cone-shaped champagne glass half of volume is not half of height, but rater towards the top

Take a box, calculate volume in liter, check it out with a bottle (oh, sorry, do you use liter?)

Measure the volume of an objecct by checking out how much water it displaces...

Calculate different densities of different objects... verify that they float if density > 1 and sink if density <1

Subjective sense of temperature: put left hand in cold water, right hand in hot water, and then both in luke warm water: left hand will feel hot, right hand will feel cold.

Watch Dr. Proton...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:24 pm
Scholastic News has free lesson plans and materials on their website now, including ideas for easy science experiments.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:09 am
Here are a few good science videos:

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:37 am
I remember as a kid I had this great book called "science Just add salt"

I'm gonna voice to text this so I apologise for errors

The one I remember was making a little light bulb light up with a battery and foil and salt. basically you took Oh I think you took some scotch tape and put it on foil and then folded the foil around the scotch tape You know it was just to I guess make a nice line. Then you wrapped one end of the foil around a light bulb and put it on the top and bought the the you put a battery on top of the other end and then touch the light bulb and to the thing and the light bulb lit and then you also put the two you made two and had one on the bottom and one on the top and then like you kind of cut the middle thing and it I'm going to see if I can find this experiment because it's really cool and I want to share it cuz I remember it from like fourth fifth grade but the point was you would put the two ends in salt in a bowl of salt water and regular water and you would see that the light bulb would light up with the salt but not with the regular water

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:39 am
This kinda explains it

https://sciencing.com/light-li......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics