Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Stressing about YK and fasting. I already have a migraine

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:22 pm
Every year seems worse and worse. I can't go to shul on YK or daven. I can't think about anything other than being utterly physically miserable. I completely limit my activity to literally in bed all day. This seems so counterproductive.

This year I have a prescription on hand for the inevitable migraine. I've talked to my rav about his ad nauseum. He just doesn't get how bad it is for me. I've don the slow release caffeine and motrin. They don't work for me.

Weaned myself off caffeine already. Baruch Hashem, erev YK is on Sunday so I can concentrate on hydrating.

Don't know what else I can do. But I'm already stressed.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:31 pm
I was told it was okay to take excedrin on Yom Kippur morning as a preventative measure to avoid a caffeine headache. As long as you can take pills without water, it is a huge help! Can you ask your rav if this is okay?

yy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:32 pm
I can honestly say that I feel your pain! I get a horrible migraine every time I fast. Hope you have an easier fast this year.

ima22

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:54 pm
I relate as I have suffered for many years with migraines. The caffeine suppositories have been helpful to me. But I think what has been a game changer for me is drinking coconut water the day or 2 before on top of regular hydrating with water. It can't hurt so maybe give it a try.

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:58 pm
Find a rabbi who does get it. I hope it all goes well for you

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:02 pm
how do you hydrate before yom kippur. I make sure to drink coconut water, have grapes, drink cranberrry juice... and not just erev yom kippur. I start before.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:20 pm
Only thing that helped a friend was anti anxiety meds low dose. Klonopan or similar. One 2 hrs before fast so you can eat and start fast calmly. The next dose can be taken right before fast in a 12 hr release capsule. OR suppos., or via mouth wrapped in something during the late morning or early noontime.
Speak to dr. If your anxious this early on this should be considered. Easy fast![quote]

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:58 pm
tylenol suppositories!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:02 am
Where are you located?
In Lakewood, Bikur Cholim will set your up with an IV as long as you have a prescription from your doctor. I’ve done it. It’s hydration and electrolytes. Voila - no more migraine. Do u have an option like that?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:09 am
The only thing that prevents the migraine for me is taking 2 naproxen before the fast starts and another 2 without water in the morning or less than 12 hours before the fast ends.

Ideally I would also take a caffeine pill in the morning but if I don’t it often is ok. But if I miss the naproxen then I get a 3 day migraine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur