Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Poll: Do you work full time? PT? Stay home? Unemployed?.....
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Poll: Do you work full time? PT? Stay home?...
I work more then full time (over 40 hours)  
 7%  [ 30 ]
I work full time (36 -40 hrs)  
 22%  [ 97 ]
I work part time (15-36 hrs)  
 34%  [ 144 ]
I work very part time (under 15 hrs)  
 10%  [ 46 ]
My hours vary by a lot (explain/ write amounts below)  
 2%  [ 10 ]
I stay at home  
 17%  [ 72 ]
I'm unemployed and looking for a job  
 3%  [ 14 ]
I'm retired  
 0%  [ 2 ]
other (please explain below)  
 1%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 422

Good Friend

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:35 pm
I chose it varies a lot.
I am a shlucha which includes different jobs.
I teach about 10 hours a week, but it takes a lot of prep because I teach 5 year olds, 7-9 year olds, teens and women, so it's not like I'm continuing in the same subject or style the whole time, every class is completely different.
I also have events for women that I have to plan, shop for, bake refreshments, etc.
I also make the food for the Shabbos kidush, and plan parties, dinners and kids programs for all the yomim tovim, so those times are especially busy. Kosher food is limited, so there's no "ordering a tray of donuts" for Chanuka, everything from scratch. I don't know what my hours are I just know it's quite busy, especially with a toddler and baby. (We hire a babysitter during most classes and events)

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:40 pm
Good Friend wrote:
I chose it varies a lot.
I am a shlucha which includes different jobs.
I teach about 10 hours a week, but it takes a lot of prep because I teach 5 year olds, 7-9 year olds, teens and women, so it's not like I'm continuing in the same subject or style the whole time, every class is completely different.
I also have events for women that I have to plan, shop for, bake refreshments, etc.
I also make the food for the Shabbos kidush, and plan parties, dinners and kids programs for all the yomim tovim, so those times are especially busy. Kosher food is limited, so there's no "ordering a tray of donuts" for Chanuka, everything from scratch. I don't know what my hours are I just know it's quite busy, especially with a toddler and baby. (We hire a babysitter during most classes and events)

Wow!! You are amazing. Kol hakavod!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:40 pm
I work full time from home but work in childcare so watching any of mine home with me at the same time .

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:09 pm
I work 12 hours a week. My life is much easier and more pleasant than all the full timers. I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to do that.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:14 pm
I work about 13-15 hours a week. I wish I worked a bit more but in order to do that Id have to work more hours where my kids are out of school and I dont have so many childcare options. I used to do more like 20 hours a week and that was ideal for me

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:16 pm
I work about 28 hours a week but I put in extra time when needed. I used to work more but need to be able to be available when my kids are home. I work for family so I get certain perks bh and being flexible is knew if them. I grew up with a mother who worked way more than full time (over 80 hours a week still today).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:26 pm
In office I work part time 4-5 hours a day so up to 20 hours a week.

However, I am on the Board and the office manager therefore I am always available on my phone to answer calls, texts and emails. But a day goes by when I'm not messaged after I leave.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:14 am
I work about 20 hours a week which I get paid for but I also run my home, manage all of our finances (which is like a part time job) and manage the schedules of 5 children aged 21-3, none of whom drive.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:41 am
Full time worker, was out of the home until COVID. Now it is work from home but then it also means I am expected to answer my cell if they call/text.

I am wiped. It is hard. I have no strength to clean up. I felt like a hero sweeping the floor tonight. Seriously our apartment is messy. I have to do this to put food on the table literally but it isn't by choice to work so much. Yes I have degrees etc but BH I do so we can have a roof over our heads...
And I get side comments from the school or teachers.
Like "oh your kid blossomed so much during covid 19, it must be because you were home with him.." (Like it is my fault he had delays? We have no idea why it is that he caught up on while at home when he didn't get his therapy! No one can figure it out but BH it happened. I was working full time like before! I didn't abandon my kid, he was safe, cared for and I even ate lunch with them. But that didn't solve the issue!)

Like pre-covid they sent home a flyer WITH MY PRESCHOOLER to call to pick a time for a special mommy project. Well I got it when I came home 2 hours after my kid was picked up. I immediately sent in a message and they told me the first slots of the day were all taken- first come, first served. No we can't squeeze anyone in... I said that I work full time so they have to explain to my kid why mommy is the only one who didn't come. Why didn't I call earlier?? Because I was at work! To pay your salary and to feed my kids. I don't do it for fun. Sorry we all can't all get cushy jobs at a school on our kids' wacky school schedule.

Ok, I wasn't antagonistic about it like that but this is what I thought when I kindly smiled and said "please? I otherwise couldn't come and that would be so sad for my kid... Is there any way? "
What do you know, after stressing me out for a few days how they can't do it and it is impossible and it wouldn't be fair to the moms who did it first... Wait, those mommies pick up their kid at the earlier dismissal (there are two times for the same class so some had a two hour head start before my kid even got picked up!!) they were able to squeeze an extra chair in for me. There was plenty of room. And I BH wasn't fired for being late due to a school thing.
Yeah people don't get it.
Vent over.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:22 am
I work 36-40 hrs per week from home. (With my 2 yr old home and 4 yr old only out 4 hrs and a husband who travels regularly and lots of kids - how is that for SAHM wars. I think it’s fun)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:52 am
I work 30 hours a week, which is basically all the hours my kids are in school. It feels very full-time, although I know it's not.

Not always easy to leave the house with the kids in the morning and come back home at the same time as well... Working from home while the kids didn't have school for 3 months due to COVID 19 was even harder. Now b'H the kids are back to school and I'm still working from home (at least most days). I really appreciate the silence.

I'm expecting now and really looking forward to my maternity leave (4 to 5 months). Even if running the household and taking care of the kids + a newborn is no vacation, I am beyond grateful that I won't have to squeeze in 30 hrs of office work as well.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:38 am
Working mom is the hardest job ever. I work 32h/ week which is the hours my kids are in school. I come home exhausted . I don't want to do this. But I have to. Paying bills anyone? Bh my DH helps a lot but I wish I didn't have to send out my babies so early and for such a long day. Can't Believe It

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 7:08 am
I babysit from home full time for one baby while watching my own baby.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 7:15 am
Also a Shlucha. Crazy hours, shabbos is NOT a rest day generally. Some days can be quiet (but there are always programs to plan) and some days insane. Food shopping is always a fun job...

Usually I have cleaning help but not now because of covid (trying to find a new one). That takes up so much time.

Procrastinating here but I have really got to go and do stuff.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:26 am
I work for myself, so it really varies depending on the amount of jobs that I get. Some weeks I can have barely any work, and others, I can work 12 hour days.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:03 am
OP, 15-36 is a huge range! Someone who works 35 hours a week is working very close to full-time, whereas someone working 18 hours a week is working very part-time. I'd tighten your ranges a bit!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:14 am
I b’h can say that I work, thanks to an imamother member who gave me a job to work from home and make my own hours. It’s less than 15 hours a week, which is great for me and her, so she doesn’t have to pay me more. LOL

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:50 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I b’h can say that I work, thanks to an imamother member who gave me a job to work from home and make my own hours. It’s less than 15 hours a week, which is great for me and her, so she doesn’t have to pay me more. LOL

Oops! I checked my hours and depending on how much work there is, lately over 15 hours a week. I don’t even realize how many hours until I’m done.

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:55 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Oops! I checked my hours and depending on how much work there is, lately over 15 hours a week. I don’t even realize how many hours until I’m done.

I've done that. The other week, the manager came to shut the music in the store off. And I was like... Wait what? It's closing time already? And that was only at 8pm

There's were times (usually in the weeks leading up to pesach I was here till the store closed at midnight! 😳)

And I've done so many bagels. You'd think I was a mohel

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I work 12 hours a week. My life is much easier and more pleasant than all the full timers. I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to do that.

I work full time and you are probably right that you have a much easier and pleasant life, but I find your comment very offensive.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics