Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tiny bedrooms need more storage ideas-suggestions?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:06 pm
All the bedrooms are small, and there isn't enough room for everything. How can we increase storage? (We already store things under beds, on doors (shoe racks) The only available wall space is over beds and I don't think it's safe to put shelves or small wall cabinets over the beds. Any other ideas?

carrot

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:51 pm
Raise the beds for more storage? (Bunk beds?)

Ikea Trones? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/t.....7307/

I know you said you have no wall space, but these are so well-dimensioned for small spaces I thought I’d mention them... maybe can even be used in a closet or nearby hallway? Or you may decide they’re light enough to go over beds.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:04 pm
Are you utilizing the available closets and drawers in a way that maximizes the space? Purging 2-4 times a year to clear out space and only keep what is necessary there?

What is the layout like now? What are you keeping under in the closets, drawers, under the beds?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:09 pm
Loft beds; captain's beds (have drawers underneath); remove closet doors and customize the closets; floor to ceiling storage.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:23 pm
I'll look into those ikea cabinets- but I still don't know if I want them over beds.
I think the closets are maximized- Built in ones are floor to ceiling, and wardrobes are almost to the ceiling. Under beds are shoes, tights, socks, boots, books. Closets and drawers have clothing. I don't want bunk beds or loft beds for kids rooms- it wouldn't work anyway because it would cover part of the windows. Their rooms are very small.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:11 pm
FIRST PURGE YOUR POSSESSIONS. That's always rule #1. Most people have more stuff than they need. When both space and money are tight, you have to decide which gets priority. IOW, is that trunk full of children's clothes that may fit your kids in three to five years worth the hassle of storing it, or is the space more valuable and will it be worth giving it away and buying new clothes later? Do your kids really need all those toys or can you give some away? Do you and your kids need so many changes of clothing or can you do laundry more often? Remember that everything in life is a tradeoff. marbeh chafatzim marbeh tzefifut (More possessions, more crowding) to paraphrase Pirkei Avot.

Apartmenttherapy.com has lots of small-space ideas, but you have to use seichel. I find that very often they advise things that are out and out dangerous. for example, if you're going to put shelves up above entryways, you'd better make danged sure those shelves are firmly anchored into studs, not in plaster, and all hatches firmly battened down. You're 100% right to avoid installing storage above beds. Storage above a bed is a tragedy waiting to happen.

If you live in a small space you have to resign yourself to having less stuff and doing without things, or spending more money, than people who live in larger spaces. you may need to rent large items that other people own, or give away or sell things and then have to buy replacements down the line because you just haven't the storage space. Fact of life.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'll look into those ikea cabinets- but I still don't know if I want them over beds.
I think the closets are maximized- Built in ones are floor to ceiling, and wardrobes are almost to the ceiling. Under beds are shoes, tights, socks, boots, books. Closets and drawers have clothing. I don't want bunk beds or loft beds for kids rooms- it wouldn't work anyway because it would cover part of the windows. Their rooms are very small.

Any reason there are shoes on the back of the door and also under the belongings?
Can books be moved to under the sefarim shank?
Boots on bottom of closet?
Socks and tights in handing shelves from the wardrobe?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:43 pm
Boots mainly under bed and whatever doesn't fit on the door rack. Bottom of closet is filled with bags, knapsacks. Boots wouldn't fit under bottom shelf and would be hard to get to.
Purging would help but there isn't much to purge.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Boots mainly under bed and whatever doesn't fit on the door rack. Bottom of closet is filled with bags, knapsacks. Boots wouldn't fit under bottom shelf and would be hard to get to.
Purging would help but there isn't much to purge.

I would get rid of all shoes that don't fit on the door rack. Or replace the rack with one that accommodates more. Storing in 2 places lends for mess and not being able to find what you need.

Can you get the socks and tights into a more useful area?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....1e184

Boots in coat closet?

Make the bedroom more liveable and enjoyable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:12 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I would get rid of all shoes that don't fit on the door rack. Or replace the rack with one that accommodates more. Storing in 2 places lends for mess and not being able to find what you need.

Can you get the socks and tights into a more useful area?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....1e184

Boots in coat closet?

Make the bedroom more liveable and enjoyable.

That hanging thing would be helpful if there was more hanging space. They don't have enough hanging space. Two dc share the room. Coat closet has no room- there are other things stored there.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:17 am
I have the super tiniest bedrooms, so I can relate. We used to have a loft bed with a twin below and a toddler bed, along with a dresser, and there was literally one small square u could move in in the room. I BH just upgraded to a triple bunk and it’s a game changer. It totally blocks a window but I don’t mind. Now kids can walk and play and move in the room! Best upgrade. I’m not cluttering up our newfound space with storage solutions. I would rather get rid of excess stuff, personally, and enjoy the breathing room.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:30 am
All the above.

A triple bunk (bunk bed with a trundle underneath that goes back under during the day) will make a huge difference. Put the youngest on the trundle, so if they roll out of bed they'll only fall off a few inches to the carpet.

You should always consider "building UP". I hear your concerns about safety, and you are right.

You want to get a PROFESSIONAL construction person to install the storage and make sure it is bolted well into support beams. My sister's kids were little monkeys, and she had to have all of her furniture bolted to the walls. They thought they lived in a rock climbing course! Surprised

On a day when you are not stressed, walk into the room with a cup of coffee, a note pad, and fresh eyes. Look around, and notice anywhere you see blank space. That's where you want to start designing a better layout.

If you have the money, a professional designer and organizer can be worth the investment. If you own the house and think that this sleeping arrangement is going to be ongoing, it's worth thinking about.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:20 am
Thanks but my dc are past the bunk bed stage. There's no inch of wall that isn't really taken up by things except behind the door, but then it would be difficult to get in the room since the dresser is so close to the wardrobe which are both near the door.

Teomima

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:12 am
OP if you're really looking for a solution, something's gotta give. You can't shoot down every suggestion and still hope to find a solution.

A lot of us also have multiple children in small rooms with no storage. When push comes to shove, there are two options: create more storage, or have less stuff.

You can't create room out of thin air so you have to use the dead space you have. If the room is small then the only dead space is vertical. Then your choices are either put stuff above beds (sturdy, professionally built storage), or under beds (bunk, lofted, or gallery beds).

Even minimally elevated beds can help. There's little bed elevators, popular with college students, that raise a bed by just a bit, but even this creates lots of extra space, if properly utilized. Everything under the bed should fit into bins that fully utilize all the dead space.

Yes you might have to block windows. Or remove radiators. Or closet doors. You have to be flexible when you have limited options.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:12 pm
That's true. I'm wondering if we can get rid of some things or get better bins under the bed.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:34 pm
See my first post. START BY PURGING. ALWAYS. This isn't Zenobia Zaqarias talking, this is every professional organizer on the planet.

Yes, it's painful. It's also necessary. Of course, you could rent a storage unit for the stuff you're not using, but this is worthwhile only if you need short-term storage, such as if your dd is getting married in a few months and is collecting furniture and household goods for her new home.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:13 pm
Teomima wrote:
OP if you're really looking for a solution, something's gotta give. You can't shoot down every suggestion and still hope to find a solution.

A lot of us also have multiple children in small rooms with no storage. When push comes to shove, there are two options: create more storage, or have less stuff.

You can't create room out of thin air so you have to use the dead space you have. ...

Yes you might have to block windows. Or remove radiators. Or closet doors. You have to be flexible when you have limited options.

This.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's true. I'm wondering if we can get rid of some things or get better bins under the bed.

Posting anon because all my friends who saw me do this will know who I am.
Couldnt do a bunk bed in our tiny room, so I worked off ideas I found on pinterest. Look on pinterest or google, but the idea is to buy ikea dressers and arrange them under a plywood board (or double the dressers so you have extra storage space underneath too, and put mattress directly on top)
Put a little stepstool or cute ikea box shelf on the floor to help them jump up.
My daughter's beautiful bed is a bit higher than usual with 9 easy access drawers, plus 6 hidden ones behind it (some people keep that space hollow and just put plywood board on top with suports)
It looks like a store bought cool bed and gives tons of storage

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Posting anon because all my friends who saw me do this will know who I am.
Couldnt do a bunk bed in our tiny room, so I worked off ideas I found on pinterest. Look on pinterest or google, but the idea is to buy ikea dressers and arrange them under a plywood board (or double the dressers so you have extra storage space underneath too, and put mattress directly on top)
Put a little stepstool or cute ikea box shelf on the floor to help them jump up.
My daughter's beautiful bed is a bit higher than usual with 9 easy access drawers, plus 6 hidden ones behind it (some people keep that space hollow and just put plywood board on top with suports)
It looks like a store bought cool bed and gives tons of storage
Is it comfortable to sleep on with the mattress over the drawers?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:12 am
Op, I would build ceiling to floor shelving in the closets and get rid of the dressers. Store clothing neatly folded in bins on the shelves of the closet.
It sounds like you are holding on to a lot of things you probably won’t use again. It’s hard but you will feel so much better if you get rid of everything you haven’t used in the past year.
I’m all for no dressers taking up space. Keep a small nightstand but skip the big, bulky dressers especially in a small room.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics