Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Best/cheapest/easiest way to make sheva brachos

LO

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:21 am
Hi all! We are making sheva brachos at home two days after Sukkos. I am looking for the most cost efficient and creative ideas for making it nice, including:

1. decorations
2. games
3. recipes - stuff that's easy to make and looks nice. Esp desserts
4. cheaper but good places to order food from (I am thinking to order a main and one side and may be make the rest)
5. Any other advice - what is better bought, what is worth it to make at home...

Again, this is right after yom tov so I am a bit limited on what I can make, because there is little time. I could freeze some stuff, but not everything because need room for our yom tov food...

Thanks in advance!

LO

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:21 am
Oh, and I am in Lakewood, in case you have suggestions for where to buy food. Smile

sky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:27 am
Simcha caterers is one of cheapest. Can just order a dish or 2. HE can email you take out menu.

Shloime’s kosher world has a simcha package where he gives a few items for a set price.

Paper goods buy now during Yom Tov sales - cups, cutlery, plates it doesn’t get cheaper. Gourmet glatt has some pretty sets- 5.99 for 2 plates for 20 (40 pieces) And drinking cups on sale. Other stores also having major paper good sales.

(I’m stocking up now for a simcha)

sky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:33 am
IDEas for table:

Personalized paper napkins. Not too expensive - you have to buy napkins anyways and they really look nice on table.

Matches with pic - “striking match”

Plastic High heels filled with candy “a mazaldik shoe”. (I stole this from. Someone else on here and it was a huge hit)

Cut their last initial out of wonton wrapper using cookie cutter sprinkle with everything spice and bake and place on appetizer - like salad or hot dish.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:09 pm
We just made sheva brachos,actually 2 times 2 weeks apart!
Will you have help or you're doing everything yourself?
First time we bought paper goods in amazing savings, 2nd time on Amazon =same price!
Paper goods came out to about $60
Our menu was like this (we tried to do cheap but in our case a few ppl contributed so it wasn't too much !)
Salad (romaine, a few vegetables and grilled chicken)
Roasted chicken
(One of the sheva brachos one person made meat but that was expensive!)
Rice and green beans( buy extra fine greeen beans in aldi or trader joes,sometimes walmart! They don't sell them in other stores! Add cubed garlic and at the last minute either toasted sesame or almonds)
Dessert we baked brownies and cookies and bought ice cream logs!
Someone bought drinks, dips to put on tables and someone else made individual challos.
It was beautiful!
First time we borrowed tablets from gemach, 2nd time we used nice white tablecloths!
Eta: how many people will you have?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:18 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....39dfa
For 50 guests,no napkins or cups!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:59 pm
https://bargainboutiquedeals.c.....-tov/
Here are more options for cheap paper goods!

LO

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:21 am
Thank you, everyone! I would love to do the cooking myself to save money, but need ideas for food that looks nice but is easy to make and can be frozen.

LO

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:23 am
Thank you, everyone! I would love to do the cooking myself to save money, but need ideas for food that looks nice but is easy to make and can be frozen.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:10 pm
Making a simcha now in covid season is a good way to save money lol Smile

Here in England we can barely make weddings (only 15 ppl now allowed) let alone sheva berochos.

You can play the mr and mrs game.
I'd make an easy side like rice with veg, and/or roast potatoes. I'd buy in 2 mains, like pargiyot and breaded shnitzel. Something like that. I'd also order desserts unless you're good at that sort of thing. I find au derve fiddly. Mushroom blintzes are nice but tons of work. You can do salmon but that's expensive! I'll try to think of something.

Hatzlocho with all the prep! I'm sure it'll be lovely

LO

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:14 pm
Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:33 pm
I doubt you would want to do this, but a friend of mine made her own Sheva Brachos. She made salad and they ordered pizza. All her husbands single friends came, and since they didn't have any furniture yet everyone sat on the floor. She said it was the nicest and most relaxed Sheva Brachos of the entire week. And probably the cheapest.

You want a bit more than pizza while sitting on the floor, but simple can go very well. Games aren't essential. Be sure the chatan and kallah will actually appreciate them.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:38 pm
LO wrote:

You can make borekas, it's cheap, yummy, you can freeze and rewarm the day of.
Or small cranberry kugel/ vegetable kugels in pretty cupcake holders!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:57 pm
I don't bake. May I repeat, I DO NOT BAKE. But I made this for the chagim. Inexpensive, pretty, easy.

https://www.facebook.com/watch.....88392

I used the sugar sprinkle, but no glaze.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:17 pm
Breaded cutlets can be a lot of work so maybe do grilled or broiled?
What I make often is this- mix mayo with french fry spice and salt (not all french fry spices are salty). Coat thin sliced cutlets (just toss it all together in a big bowl). Grill on a bbq or lay out on a baking sheet and bake on 450 approximayely 5 minutes a side.
You can freeze the cutlets raw and bake it the day of.
Some easy freezable side dish ideas:
Doughless knishes
Knishes made with mini flakey dough squares
Apple crumble (use ready made canned filling)
Pastrami orzo

sky

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:28 pm
sesame Oven baked chicken cutlets. Toss cutlets in flour lay on pan pour over a red sesame sauce (recipe on here). Bake. Freezes well. I reheated them piled in 9x13 covered for a simcha. Sprinkle with sesame seeds when serving.
(Why don’t you try a new recipe now to see if you like it so not to take a chance)

Sometimes you can buy ready to bake breaded chicken cutlets for 6.99/lb. just pour on sauce when serving or serve as is.

Oven baked rice

Oven stir fry (frozen sugar snap peas, can baby corn and can mushrooms) or oven baked green beans

Mini kugel in pretty cupcake holders: pumpkin, carrot, apple, zucchini
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics