Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
For those having outdoor minyanim, a question

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:36 am
If you are part of an outdoor minyan or know of one, do they have a sefer torah? Or are they just reading the torah portions from a siddur?

Was just wondering, I mean, Im assuming most communities wont have enough sifrei torah for every minyan there is outdoors.

Our yishuv has 16 outdoor minyanim. I have no clue if they all have torahs or not.

Was just curious.

(Obviously this is for those who do hold that it is fine to have a sefer torah in an out door minyan)

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:49 am
All the outdoor minyanim (I know of) have sifrei Torah. Many Shuls have more than one Sefer Torah, so they can be leant out to minyanim, which need them.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:54 am
Shuls have lent out Sifrei Torah, and some people have their own. Most minyanim are limited to one Sefer Torah, and have to roll it from the leining to the maftir. Some minyanim have even started at different times, and thus reached the leining at different times, to allow the same Sefer Torah to be used by more than one minyan. Obviously, it has to be carried between minyanim in a suitable manner.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:57 am
All outdoor minyanim that my husband attends always have a sefer torah.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:46 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
If you are part of an outdoor minyan or know of one, do they have a sefer torah? Or are they just reading the torah portions from a siddur?

Was just wondering, I mean, Im assuming most communities wont have enough sifrei torah for every minyan there is outdoors.

Our yishuv has 16 outdoor minyanim. I have no clue if they all have torahs or not.

Was just curious.

(Obviously this is for those who do hold that it is fine to have a sefer torah in an out door minyan)

We have a sefer Torah. Just one, though, so it involves a lot of rolling to maftir, but it worked.

No aron, so its wrapped in a talit on a covered table. And no lifting high on hagba, too windy, too risky.

Shana tova.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:36 pm
Our neighborhood shul lends out the shul's sifrei torah to the outdoor 'satellite' minyanim scattered throughout the neighborhood.
There is a coordinator who keeps track of where all the sifrei torah are.
Back in March/April when all minyanim in public space were banned and we only had a 'mirpeset' minyan there was no sefer Torah and we just skipped kriyat hatorah betzibur and went right into Musaf.
Later, after the davening, I would read the parsha to myself

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:46 pm
Our neighbors have a sefer Torah so they use theirs for the nearest outdoor minyan.

Our shul is setting up multiple outdoor minyanim, each with sfrei Torah.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:50 pm
Some of the minyanim are time staggered so the Torah is brought from haskama to a later minyan. Also, only one so there is a lot of rolling going on for maftir
(Love how the has the teenage sons of the Baal koreh roll so that it was only one family touching the Torah.
But RH we had 3-4 hour minyanim, not 8 hours.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:44 pm
Our minyan has a Torah. They have been davening for 6 months. Not sure whose it is or how they got it. I just don't know what they're going to do once the rain starts. I think there is underground parking but not sure how great it is. And again being outside in the heat isn't that great either.

gingleale

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:48 pm
Our shul's outdoor minyanim now have one Torah each. They will not use them in the rain or extreme humidity because the Torah will get damaged.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics